3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early draw weight question  (Read 315 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Early draw weight question
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
So as I look into eastern vs western recurves, I notice that much of the eastern stuff looks like this unstrung:

So does this generally make a faster bow? Seems like it should. Are there western recurves like this too?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early draw weight question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm sure a wise soul will know the answer. My guess is in ancient times the design was dictated by the materials and I know they used a lot of horn in their bows.

If they were faster we'd all be shooting them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I don't believe there is any real testing to support the idea that eastern bows are faster-just thinking about stringing them gives me a groin pull-but to each his own.
If you are interested in speeds Blacky Schwartz runs a web site that compares bows of various makes.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
This doesn't really have anything to do with eastern bows perse, that's just the only ones that I have seen with this trait.

Take 2 50# bows. One is 25# at brace and the other is 1# at brace. Both are 50# @ 28".

Would one be faster than the other?

Seems like the one with the higher brace poundage should be to me.

Similarly, take 2 50# bows. One is 50# at 20" and the other is 50# @ 30". Both are the same weight at brace. Would one be faster?

It seems like the longer draw should be.

It seems like there should be a poundage per inch correlation. Is there anything to this?

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Snowplow,

I was going to post to your other thread, but can't find it at the moment.  When I recommended going to a bow with a "smoother" force draw curve, I meant "if you go heavier in draw weight."

Although I may be wrong, and there is no science (that I'm aware of) to support it, I have seen that most bows that stack pounds early seem to shoot a bit faster and "hit harder" than the smoother" ones that add poundage later.  This has been my GENERAL observation anyway...

In your quest for a faster bow, you should also look at the limb length.  It is proven that, all else being equal, a bow with shorter limbs is faster.  If you are concerned about losing accuracy, you can get one with a longer riser.  They don't look as cool IMO, but they offer a good balance of speed and accuracy.  Worth looking into.  

You can also experiment with carbon arrows to find something stiff enough, but lighter in weight.  I just started using them, but find them overall less forgiving of different draw weights than aluminum.

Skinny strings generally help too.

I also believe that most bows with reputations that put them in the top 5 percent speed-wise, are not really built to last as long.  After all, would you expect to get 200,000 miles on a formula-one race car?

Others may say I'm wrong, but that has been my experience.  Good luck in your quest.  Figuring out what works best for you is half the fun.
- John

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Thanks John. I am having a good time looking into this stuff.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »
Thanks John. I am having a good time looking into this stuff.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Take a look at Pete Ward's test of the Border Covert Hunter

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©