3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow design thread  (Read 967 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow design thread
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
So a comment was made to me in regards to a certain style of bow that basically said 'if they were so good, everybody would be shooting them'.

This doesn't seem correct, as there are a bunch of different styles shot by all sorts of people. And since I am a newbe at this, I don't know the differences of all them.

So can you help me understand the benefits and drawbacks of certain styles of bows? Why do you shoot one vs the other and how do they feel different in the hand.

These are all the general styles I know about:

Hill style long bow
R/D Longbow
Static Tip Recurve
Dynamic Tip Recurve
50's style small riser Recurve
Short Korean Recurve (Kaya)
Eastern Siyah bows (many styles)

I am trying to find my new bow. The first Trad Bow I will buy new to actually fit me. Can you guys help me make a more informed decision?

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow design thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Well to start with there isnt a "wrong type" of bow, its a personnel preference thing. longbows by nature tend to be more stable then recurves but slower, recurves tend to be faster but more critical of form... Now does that mean all longbows are slow? NO and does that mean all recurves are erratic? NO... it's hard to really say "this is the way this bow shoots" Yes there are general characteristics of different bows but they normally are up to interpretation by the shooter. Best thing you can do is go to a 3D shoot and ask guys/gals if you may try their bow because what i consider a sweet shooting bow might differ from what you may like.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
And are you sure you have shot enough to be able to decide what will actually fit you...I have owned about 35 or 40 bows in the last five years and I am still trying to decide what actually fits me

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
good point Dave. i use to shoot a straight limb longbow and thought that was the end all be all best bow in the world, then i shot a high quality recurve and my opinion soon changed...
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
2bird, what does it mean for a bow to be stable?

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
All I can say is that FOR ME, the R/D Longbow is the best of all the different bow designs, in one type bow....for hunting ! Target and 3D may be different, but again , FOR ME, I'd still choose a R/D Longbow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
we say a lot of things.  Sometimes we say that because we were told that in the past, so we repeat it.  As was brought up, you should try as many as you can because there are differences, mainly in the way they feel in the hand, but also how they make YOU feel when you shoot and carry one..

All of them are good, but remember, they all originated in areas of the world that reflected some reason for that bow to shine. It still shines for their use, but maybe not so much for yours.

Fact is, more folks in the USA and Europe likely shoot compounds than any recurve or longbow.  Never did figure out the reason for that...

ChuckC

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
I shoot Asian style bows because I had twenty-six separate breaks in my right hand after an accident involving a BMW and my bicycle.  My fingers won't extend properly and point in odd directions, meaning that I can't shoot like you guys.  Trying to shoot bows like you doesn't work if you have to put the arrow on the other side just to be able to draw.  I don't do it just to be different, I did it because even after tendon surgery my fingers point in six different directions and you can't draw a bow that way.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
I would talk to as many folks as you can that will let you try what they are shooting. Could be at a 3/D or maybe a show. Talk to a bowyer that one of his bows caught your eye. And finally, if you order one to your specs......keep it simple. Don't spend a lot of money on fancy till you know where this journey will take you. PS: don't be afraid to try or buy used stuff.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Snowplow- In a different thread I suggested that you meet up with someone close to you and shoot a few. I promise there are lots of folks that would be happy to help you, and getting your hands on a few different bows is absolutely invaluable in making a good buy.

I'll list some parameters for you. All else being equal:

1. A longer bow is easier to shoot well and a shorter bow is more manuverable for hunting situations. Very long is 70+ inches, very short 50 inches. Can't go wrong with 60ish inches.

2. Higher brace height tends to be more comfortable and forgiving of grip errors. Very high is 9 inches, very low is 6 inches.

3. Modern reflex/deflex longbows and recurves perform almost the same, and feel similar if their draw weight and grip are similar.

4. Hill style longbows and most self bows have more recoil and a little less speed than modern reflex/deflex longbows and recurves.

5. A bow with heavier mass weight is easier to hold steadily while aiming. I bow with lighter mass weight is obviously easier to tote on a long hike. Some would disagree, but most agree.

6. Center-shot bows are more accurate and easy to tune for most shooters.

7. Bow noise and vibration can vary. There are bows of each design that are good and bad on this. Properly matched arrows and string material are more important than bow style on these.

Good shooters won't suck with ANY bow design. Once you learn how to shoot you can make any bow work for you. Use the abaove parameters as a general guideline, and like I said SHOP AROUND!!  :)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Hey thanks a lot Charlie3! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Just some general guidelines to keep in  mind as I shop around.

Also I am meeting cch this sunday. He's going to help me out and show me some stuff.

Here's another question for you guys; am I making too big of a deal about a short bow?

Here's what I mean. I live/hunt in western wa. Its pretty much solid brush. Super super thick and blackberry jungles. Just last night I was nestled in a really nice spot on the foot of a slash pile on a logging unit. But my longbow was killing me. I had to be very very picky where I sat or I couldn't clear the lower limb. Most times I wish I had a much shorter bow but I can make it work. Other times it gets pretty annoying. I hear the short bows are less forgiving, like the Kaya Khan or the Black Widow PSR but like how much less forgiving are we talking about? At what point do you say I just could really use a nice short bow?!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Every single one of those styles has been thoroughly discussed here many times...just do a search for each of them and get back to us in six months when you are finished reading

DDave
Dave,

If it helps, I've bought, sold and/or traded 250+ bows over the past 15 years.  I've finally settled on the two bows listed in my signature.  Keep it up, you only have a couple hundred, or so, bows to go!    :goldtooth:

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Snowplow, in a situation like you're describing a short, high-performance R/D longbow like a Shrew, Java Man, or Big Jim Thunderchild would be hard to beat.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I let the type of hunting that I do dictate the type of bows that I buy. Since I hunt areas like you described, and have a short draw length, I like short bows. Also, I want all of the performance that I can get out of my bows without the noise found in many short recurves. My choice is simple and is exactly as Mahantango and Tradcat suggested above.... a high performance, short, R/D longbow.

Are they less forgiving? Probably, but I shoot them well enough to harvest the critters that I'm pursuing in situations where a longer bow isn't practical so I'm willing to sacrifice a little forgiveness for maneuverability.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Lots of good advice here.  

Personally I have tried quite a number of styles, draw weights, and makes of bows, 1pc, 2pc, 3pc, ILF etc over the last 2 1/2 years, and I have only scratched the surface.  

That being said, if I had to right now pick a bow that combined a lot of the best characteristics of the different bow types you mentioned I would prescribe you this:

54/56/ or 58" 2pc bow-bolt full or half phenolic riser Java Man Elkheart.  

I am a serial bow buyer and trader and I picked up a 56" one of these earlier this year and have never been so 'one' with a bow.  Its short, but not too short, stable, forgiving for what it is, very quick for what it is- quicker than many longbows and no slouch compared to many recurves, mass weight is perfect with the bow-bolt and phenolic riser, its a 2pc that looks like a 1pc, its whisper quiet, and has looks that kill.  For me its that Goldilocks hunting bow.  Practical, handy, pretty.  

Check em out, give Gregg Coffey a call and chat.  

All that aside, there are so many other incredible bows and I have many favorites.  

Like damascus' said, use the search function and read read read.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
Don't ask me. I have nine right now that I love to shoot. I have to do the eenie meinie mini mo thing befor I go shooting. Think I need help.

Snowplow your just going to have to go play with some bows. Have fun
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I don't think bow length makes any bow harder to shoot. I've shot short bows and bows much longer in length, and given enough time, shot them all equally well....they just "feel" different than the other, you just have to get used to them. Shoot as many different styles as you can and you'll figure out what you like. I like bows with a heavy(ish) riser, which makes it easy for me to hold steady on target.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I will show you bows from 44" up to 62". I have a kt 44, cascade night hawk 52", cascade brush hawk 56", cascade whitetail hawk 58", Morrison ILF with black max limbs at 58",DAS with Border hex6 62" and a Border Covert Hunter that is 62". This should give you some ideas as to what you might like.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
I can and do build myself any kind of bow I want. I went from personally loving D and R bows to static recurves and then to D longbows and then back to D and R longbows. My first assessment to an all around hunter is the was right and now I am using a high performance , easy to use in the field and trouble free, quiet , D and R,. That's my story.

God bless, Steve

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
I cant wait till sunday!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©