3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My elk hunt recap and missed opputunities  (Read 318 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
My elk hunt recap and missed opputunities
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
We started out the season hunting a crowded OTC unit. We camped next to the truck and walked in. I have to admit that it was comfortable. I seen a couple of spikes while still hunting and a very large chocolate bear followed me down a trail opening morning. Some other NC boys saw a couple of really nice bulls for the area.  The highlight of this hunt occurred the fourth morning. I had started early hunt with the wind to a thick bedding area that I had seen fresh elk sign. It was still early in the morning, around 8:00 when I jumped a really nice bull. He was bedded against some blow down and the first movement I seen was his huge rack getting up. I had the wind in my favor but all I could see was his rack and of course, he seen me first. That day we packed up and moved to another OTC area  to bivy in.
            After spending a night in town, and having a good meal,  we moved to our next spot. We packed in two miles and set up camp next to a clear running stream. The next morning we walked up a drainage to a plateau or bench. We were still hunting when we heard some broken branches. We stopped and listened. Bob did not have his hearing aides in so he was wondering what we stopped for. All of a sudden, we heard splashes. Charlie and I both looked at each other and said wallow at the same time. Before they could react, I dropped my pack and was sneaking through the bottom. I came across a knoll and could see that grass that grows along water. I eased up and could see three spikes in a small pond. I motioned for Bob and Charlie to ease up. We watched them intent to see which direction they would go. We found a nice wallow and then a field with fresh sign. I called and a bull had answered but nothing came in.
      After a hot day, I figured the elk would move late so I sat on the wallow. I cleared  some branches so I would have a clear 20 yard shot. As expected, right at dark, a nice bull started in to the wallow. I heard the woods come to life with the sound of broken branches. He came in and started drinking that nasty slimy water. I could hear him slurping as I focused on the shot. A tree was blocking the better part of his vitals and he was slightly quartered towards me. I waited until he would step forward. Eventually, he stepped toward me and lowered his shoulder to the mud. I did not have a shot and by the time he was in a clear position, the light was faded and I could not pick a spot. I could see his outline and struggled with the decision but in the end, I decided not to take a chance on a poor shot. At 18 yards, this is a chip shot for me.  I shoot 30-35 yards routinely so I was disappointed a little. Weather with heavy rain, thunderstorms forced us off the mountain and I would go elkless fo another year.
        When I get home, I write down a recap of the trip and what changes I would make to my gear. After a few trips, I decided that area and weather dictates my gear choices. I ripped my tenzing pack on the bivy hunt while trying to get it taunt around my waist.  My hilliberg Akto tent worked well but sacrificing comfort for weight savings pushed it in  the rain. The tent had some condensation issues and I would get wet while exiting the tent.  I missed my kifaru tipi because it was nice with the stove to dry out your clothes and the stand up room.  I carried a Robertson Wolfer. You can string the bow without a stringer easily with the modified recurve design. I could not be happier with the bow. It is super light in hand and shoots with authority.  You can break it down and put it in the  long side pocket on your pack or fit it in the safari tuff quiver with my arrows. The safari tuff protected my arrows but it got heavy and bulky when waterlogged.  Despite the weather, it was my best trip to date. I saw bear, mule deer, coyote, eagles, pika, marmot, at least 20 blue grouse. I tried the Jerimiah Johnson rock trick and hit about 3 inches low in the breast. We found some more areas to hunt during the rain so those days were productive. I cannot wait till next year.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My elk hunt recap and missed opputunities
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip! My last elk trip to Idaho sound a lot like your hunt. I hope to return out west soon. Where did you hunt?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
Yep... great hunt Tim. Thanks for the update. Maybe next year will be your year. Got some good news from Darren B. I'll email you.

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
sounds like a great hunt!!!! love the elk woods.  any  pics?
is it September yet??

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
Nice story of your hunt   :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.