3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TRADITIONAL.........?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
TRADITIONAL.........?
« on: September 19, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
Okay this has been on my mind for sometime,  in your opinion what makes a person choose or switch,from modern to traditional archery....?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TRADITIONAL.........?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Freedom of choice!

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
It's what I started with and what I'll end with, Lord willing.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
Traditional is way more fun.  I shoot alot more than I ever did with a compound.  My longbow weighs 15oz. - my wheel bow was 8#'s, you gotta love that at 9000 ft.  On the whole, the traditional archery community is a nicer bunch.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
I know for me personally it is the simplicity and challenge of shooting a bare bow. It just feels like the right way for me. BeauJ

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I would think the challenge and simplicity of it and the reward of having to put so much effort.  Plus I think you really have to be on your a game in the woods to connect with an animal and that is huge accomplishment.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
Not being afraid of a challenge...not relying on gadgetry...simplifying...Dedication to something that requires more than the minimum of practice, discipline, and patience...
Experiencing the difference between forty+ yards and under 20 yards...

Accepting/knowing the fact that there is way more HONOR in a stalk that got you to 17 yards and was blown by a whirlwind or a stick snapping (or any of 100 other things), than you will ever find vaulting a projectile long distances, from a mechanized rocket-launcher or pipe-bomb and getting the animal...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
What makes them switch? From what I've seen, Usually a friend they see shooting at the local shop/ backyard/ 3d shoot.. Then they say I can do that, especially after they see the deadliness of traditional

What makes them stay? The simplicity... Oh yea, and when they shoot their first critter , it's over with

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
The Challenge!
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Simpler, more challenging and rewarding, the beauty and craftsmanship of tradbows, more fun, more direct connection to the actual skill, you're not just a passenger along for the ride...they call em wheelbows for a reason.  LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
More fun!!! More romantic!! More personal!!
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Lots of reasons but
I found that shooting a longbow is relaxing.
I can find fun in shooting just about anything.

Dont get me wrong, a compound is a great hunting weapon.
But I just have more fun with a trad bow.
Slickhead

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
At my age, and the steep hills/ mountains here, I can be flippant and say the physical light weight of the bow, but it is the fun of making all my own stuff, the challenge of tuning and. Shooting. I have never trod the well beaten paths, and like to travel my own way
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
X2 on all the above.  I started as a Trad archer, and switched to compound.  I cam back to traditional archery because I truly missed all that you have stated above!

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
The challenge, when I shot compound it became so easy to hit nearly anything I wanted out to 60-70 yards it literately became no fun, I was bored... So I thought I would try a recurve, well when I missed the target, and I mean a 36"x36" target, 5 out of 6 arrows (first time shooting a trad bow) at 20 yards I knew right then and there that trad was something I HAD to master, been addicted ever since lol

IMO someone that shoots good with a compound is like someone that claims they have good hand writing when they type on the computer.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Traditional just feels natural to me....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Freedom of choice!
X2!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
I came back to traditional after 20 some odd years of hunting with a compound. I guess I just missed it. I started hunting with both and after about 5 years (I guess) I dropped the compound all together, just because I enjoyed the simplicity of the recurve and was tired of worrying about something getting knocked out of kilter on the compound.

What I have found is that the sticks are just as effective as the compound within my normal shooting range, which historically has been about 20 yards (give or take a few) and even better is the fact that I dont have to wrench on them.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Murphy's Law.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Started archery as a teen in the 70's had a 74ish 47# Kodiak Hunter. Got out of it for a while during college and early working life. Got back in to archery with a compound. Last year during 3D season I found I was loosing interest in shooting the course (I'm a club officer) and I would often just work the registration table and not go shoot. I decided I had to do something and bought a 70-72 Grizzly; let it sit 'till after deer season and hung it up, been shooting strictly recurves since then and really enjoying myself. I have a KMAG as well and it is going to be my hunting bow this season. Set up my compound for a teen that has been hunting with me - no desire to pick it back up at all.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©