3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm not sure what's going on.....  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm not sure what's going on.....
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
I honestly think some of the newer (probably younger) members need an email that tells them "we don't talk like that here".....kinda the same talk I have with my sons when they come home from the field or a jobsite    :bigsmyl:

These new members are valuable to our sport....it's a little bit of a generational thing as to how we verbalize. Nudging them along is better than fighting or banning them.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by mgf:
I mostly agree Bud except that I don't think pulling the thread is the answer.

The forum owner will do as he pleases but it makes more sense to me to simply pull posts (or members) that break forum rules.
Yep
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
I struggle with it myself but it takes a measure of discipline (and knowing how) to address a topic that may hit very close to home with a well reasoned argument rather than a simple expression of frustration or anger.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Is the thread gone?

That's disappointing. What broadhead are you using this year?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
We are all supposed to be grown up and able to read at least the rules of the site. We've probably all had a post pulled. I don't believe I've ever been guilty of bashing a fellow poster - more likely off-topic posts, but rules are rules.

I for one applaud the moderators for standing firm on the idea that this site is for sharing ideas - not flaming others. If the post is out of line it should come off and the poster should take that as constructive criticism and ask himself how he could have expressed his idea in a less combative way.

Keep it up Terry.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
I honestly think some of the newer (probably younger) members need an email that tells them "we don't talk like that here".....kinda the same talk I have with my sons when they come home from the field or a jobsite     :bigsmyl:  

These new members are valuable to our sport....it's a little bit of a generational thing as to how we verbalize. Nudging them along is better than fighting or banning them.
Well put Roger. Ignoring the behavior will only hurt the site. Banning the exact people who need the most help/guidance/mentoring doesn't help them either.

Far better to pull them up to the standards expected here than to allow ourselves to be reduced to what is common elsewhere.
Thom

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I admit I have made some dumb comments here but do try and keep in mind, just how different (better) this site is. The biggest problem (for me) is being accustomed to operating on other sites (all other?) and then coming here. I forget that I am not going to be attacked. I forget that I dont need to lash out. I forget ... my manors.
Which all sites were as good as this one. Maybe I would be better off just keeping here and not being negatively influenced by the others which seem to encourage the gutter mentality.

For my part, I will attempt to clear my head and think before posting here. I dont think I want to lose this opportunity.

Thanks Terry.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Marshallrobinson, you, Sir are welcome at my fire anytime. It takes a man to admit when he is wrong and try to better himself.

I have long ago realized I don't miss anything that goes on at the other sites.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4runr:
Marshallrobinson, you, Sir are welcome at my fire anytime. It takes a man to admit when he is wrong and try to better himself.

I have long ago realized I don't miss anything that goes on at the other sites.
Another yep

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marshallrobinson:
I admit I have made some dumb comments here but do try and keep in mind, just how different (better) this site is. The biggest problem (for me) is being accustomed to operating on other sites (all other?) and then coming here. I forget that I am not going to be attacked. I forget that I dont need to lash out. I forget ... my manors.
Which all sites were as good as this one. Maybe I would be better off just keeping here and not being negatively influenced by the others which seem to encourage the gutter mentality.

For my part, I will attempt to clear my head and think before posting here. I dont think I want to lose this opportunity.

Thanks Terry.
couldn't agree more.  just a different mindset here.  other hunting forums ya gotta fight fire with fire. we don't have fire here.  hope it stays that way.
is it September yet??

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
There's another site..?..LOL
    This is the only site....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Roger,
I don't know how to post a quote, but you seem to believe there is a correlation with the negative comments being made and the age of the poster, suggesting that problem posters are younger guys. They may well be, but I think it's purely coincidence.  While I have not seen the posts in question, I respectfully disagree with you on that point.  A jerk is a jerk, doesn't matter their age.  Speaking for myself and hopefully the other pups on who frequent the site, I am here for two reasons.  First and foremost to LEARN.  Second, because I like the fellowship and brotherhood that can be found here (see the recent thread about the bow that was given to Charlie Lamb for an outstanding example).

I know we live in a time where the twenty and thirty-something crowd is often brash, crass, and disrespectful.  I can honestly say that I do not believe that to be the case here.

Like I said, I'm not sure which thread Terry was referring to.  It seems like marshallrobinson feels he is guilty of some of the things Terry was quelling.  He apologized, like a man.   That is all anyone can ask, and for that he would be welcome at my campfire. We all screw up from time to time.  I would venture to say it is not just an affliction of young guys (or gals).  

Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to make it clear that there is a real contingency of trad hunters that look to this site for advice and knowledge.  Young folks who would NEVER be intentionally disrespectful to anyone.  In many ways this site is and has been a mentor to me on my trad journey.  I am aware of the existence of the other sites.  I don't visit them because I am loyal to this one.  I am loyal to Terry Green and Charlie Lamb and Joe Coots and the literally thousands of others that make Tradgang amazing.  Thanks to everyone that makes it be what is, and seeks to keep it that way.

Shoot straight gang,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Jake

I would say that Roger was not referring to age of life but age on this site.  

Everyone needs to read the rules every once in a while!!    :campfire:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Valid point, sir.  Hopefully Roger will comment.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
I don't think chronological age is of any consequence here on TG. I'm a 30 something and I've never seen it.  If anything it might be the opposite. I almost feel bad by all the people willing to take me under their wing and teach me how to tiller a bow, build an arrow, twist a string, or invite me to a hunt. Very generous group as a whole, I'm thankful for the example and I do try to emulate it whenever I can.
Thom

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2014, 01:36:00 AM »
"There's another site..?..LOL"
"This is the only site."

What is puzzling to me, if you are loyal to TG, why do a lot of members post the same thread on LW? Never understood that.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by duncan idaho:
"There's another site..?..LOL"
"This is the only site."

What is puzzling to me, if you are loyal to TG, why do a lot of members post the same thread on LW? Never understood that.
Because we're in the US and freedom means just that. I visit one other trad site and a state specific general outdoors/hunting site. But TG gets my most loyal attention. Loyalty does not mean exclusivity. Mike also has a business to run.

Respectfully posted, BTW.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Never questioned the issue of freedom in the US or if someone is operating a business. I was curious why members post the same topic on various forums,I assume for multiple responses but, it doesnt matter.   Have  safe season and good hunting.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Hey Jake. I certainly wasn't condemning an age group, just making an observation.

My kids are 20, 23, and 25. Some of the things I have seen on here lately have the same vernacular and tone as when they are goofing around with their buddies. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Folks 1/2 my age speak differently than folks my age....and again, that isn't a problem.

I said, in parenthesis, "(probably younger)"....  and believe me, young folks coming in to this sport are the most important thing there is. We owe it to them and to the sport to give them our opinions on ethics, our skill set on traditional archery and woodsmanship, and to be a positive example of how a traditional bowhunter should carry himself. I will be doing just that this afternoon, when I take a young 15 year old hunter out for his first deer hunt (Michigan Youth Hunt).

I also said this in the same post:

"These new members are valuable to our sport....it's a little bit of a generational thing as to how we verbalize. Nudging them along is better than fighting or banning them."

If you need to know what is "in my heart" so to speak...focus on that.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
All this was not in response to any individuals comments, posts or threads. Rather Terry was referring to the overrunning amount of off color comments being made throughout the forum lately.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©