3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heater body suit  (Read 615 times)

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
heater body suit
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Any body use one? pros and cons?

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: heater body suit
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
I have used one for cold late season hunts in many different states for about 6 years now. it is a little hard to get in to, but it is the real deal for beating the cold! it is also a little cumbersome packing in and out, but I highly recommend it. I can wear just a single layer and get in the suit and I am good to go.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
The HBS can't be beat for staying warm.  I go along with what Gen273 has to say.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
Wish they had them in ASAT, Predator, or Skyline camo like they used to.  I would definitely get one if they did.  

HBS...start making them in effective camo patterns again!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
I will always have it  on from November  to the end of season. Been using one since the beginning and I bought my second one about 5 years ago.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Best cold weather piece of gear ever!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »

Here's me in my home brew suit...like mentioned earlier due to the horrible patterns they come in. Don't ask me about how to make it as I've literally answered this a hundred times. Search "heater body suit" and you'll find it.

That morning was awfully cold...look at the ice chunks frozen to the Tall Tines...

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
They are no joke, a product that actually works like it is supposed to.  I borrowed a buddy's last year and even though it was way too big for me....I'm sold! But, I'm currently in the same boat as Butchie.  I just don't understand why all of the camo patterns on these things are so "busy" and dark since most of them are used in an elevated position and in the dead of winter when effective camo is even more important!
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
I made my own too, I've said it before but I guess I can say it again.  What I don't like about the HBS is that you have to open it up to get your arms out for the shot.  My home made one has arm holes I can stick my arms through for the shot.  No matter how you look at it though a large over bag thingy is going to be very warm indeed.  Funny to me the HBS looks a LOT like an upside down rectangular sleeping bag.  The same kind of sleeping bag that you can buy used for a few bucks  ;)

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
I have a friend that has been hunting in a sleeping bag since the 70's

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
To each his own I guess! Even if the HBS had arm holes, I wouldn't use them while bowhunting. I like my torso coming completely out of the suit. Having only lightweight, form fitting clothing around my chest and arms so nothing has the possibility to hinder my shot is a selling point to me....but I also don't hunt in Canada. It is so darn cold up there I would probably stay in the HBS even on the walk back to the truck    :D  

Differing opinions are what keeps things interesing to me. It lets others weigh the alternatives and see other options before deciding for themselves.
Take care,
Jason

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Best piece of cold weather hunting gear ever!! I sometimes hunt dark to dark in January and that is when it pays for itself.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Jason, you're lucky to live where you do.  It enables you to dress like that for hunting.  Imagine sitting on a steel treestand in a stiff wind at -25C.  Suddenly any way at all that you can stay warm becomes not just "nice" but vital for survival.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Tracy, I can only imagine what that might be like....because it won't happen to me. -25C is what about -137*F, I'm not too good with metric stuff  :D  

It has been that cold here before...a few times, but you won't catch me hunting in it!  I call it quits when it gets near 0*F HBS or not.  This usually only happens during the last few weeks of our season anyway so I don't miss too much.

I thought in the beginning that it would be a bigger deal than it is to lose all of the heat inside the upper part of the body suit every time that I came out to get in my pack, use the bathroom, etc. but its seems to reheat very quickly inside with the body's natural furnace running in there.
Take care,
Jason

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Jason, I like the fact that when I come out of the suit, my back muscles are nice and warm. Using the suit is definitely a process. I start by slowly unzipping the suit with my right hand as I reach out to grab my bow with my left. The suit with the cross chest straps just falls down and behind. I have never had any problem with the suit being obstructing. I also make long 4ft bow holders so my bow hangs directly in front of me with my arrow on the rest. I do not use an arrow holder. I guess for me that the process is so repetitious, I just do not think about it. I never had any deer picking me off due to the suit. I think I see more deer because it inhibits my movement and It is so comfortable that I have to stay awake when it is cold. I put it on in the stand so I unhook my safety vest and place the strap draped on my head until I put the cross chest straps on for the suit then reattach the safety strap, zip up the suit and I am ready.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
I have one. If you get cold in it. (Your dead). It works.
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
They are the real deal. I have a older one in predator camo. I use it in late season bow here in Ohio usually in January. It can be cumbersome to get it but well worth it.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I've got an older one in Predator and they are warm. No doubt, they are the answer for ground hunting in the cold.

With the inner cross suspenders, shrugging the suit off to get your arms out is really simple and easy. I personally do not see the need for arm holes.

They are real tricky to put on while in the stand.
Quite bulky.

I surely wouldn't try climbing into a stand with it on.

Might be best to ask the Manufacturer how he recommends getting safely hooked in and putting the suit on.

It sounds like the newer suits have crappy camo patterns but they are now waterproof,(although does it rain when it's that cold?)

One nice improvement in the newer suits is that, unlike mine where the zipper just goes to my waist, the newer ones zip all the way down one leg.

I'm a fan if it's super cold out.

That being said...The "Warm Bag" is worth a look.
This sleeping bag imitation has zippers under both arms operable from inside the suit, also zips all the way down the center to your feet, also zips around the bag near the bottom so you can step out of it,(three separate zippers. You can then hike it up and hook it up behind you, then walk to a new spot in the woods or easily climb a tree with it on because your feet and legs are now free and outside the suit.

It is considerably lighter weight, less bulky to carry in, but also several times less warm. You will have to wear more clothes under it if the weather is truly cold.

I'm not a very big guy, I chill easily, and each time I leave my Warm Bag at home in medium cold weather, I kick myself. It's so easy to take along.

The Warm Bag is also waterproof.

I'm not sure what camo patterns are available.

Just my 2 cents.
Irv Eichorst

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I just ordered a military surplus one with arms and hood.  Looks to be noisy but was thinking of making a camo fleece cover for it.  It was only $60, so I won't feel bad if I have to do alterations.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
I have one and they work great. I use it only on the ground though. Too clumsy for me 20' up, and it feels really weird to have my arms contained. In a ground blind...the best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©