3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Belt Sander to sharpen Concave Heads  (Read 338 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Belt Sander to sharpen Concave Heads
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Been using a steel master to sharoen my simmons.  Ran across some belt sander viseos on Utube - My question is has anyone used a belt sander to sharpen the concave blades on a simmons?  Seems to me that the flex in the belt would allow it to sharpen thses heads weel?  I also see that they make leather belts for final honing.  Hopefully somneone has tried this and can give me their results before I spend too much on another sharpening system.  I tried the rada and jewel stick and get only satisfactory results with them.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Belt Sander to sharpen Concave Heads
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Personally,I never sharpen blades on any motor powered tool.It can wreck the temper faster than you think and in the case of a belt sander,could take a lot of metal off very quickly.One or two times doing that could lighten a point enough to even mess up the tune of your setup.There have been a few good threads on this site,about sharpening those heads.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Belt sande with a dimmer switch would allow for slower sppeds.  120-600 grit for slow removal and then they also make leather and 6000 grit paper that should be able to hone.  I know a lot of knife makers are going to belt sanders and they too worry about temper and overheating but have work arounds.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
I have a jig I made for my standard 6" belt sander and it works fine ( for standard non concave heads).  Go light, quench VERY often and I have not seen any issues at all.  Just take it easy, its a power tool.
CHuckC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
if you are having trouble with the curved portion of the head get yourself a half round file..single cut....about 8 inches long...and try that.

Should help you.  As a knifemaker I can tell you power sanding to sharpen heads will end up causing you issues with your temper.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I'm with Ray on overheating the BH with a belt sander. I finally got a variable speed control for my 6x72" belt grinder (a dimmer switch will not work!)and can slow the belt down to a walk. I've done a few that way, but really find it just as easy to set the bevel with a file and then use fine stones for the sharp edge.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©