3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters!  (Read 34247 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters!
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
NOTHING this morning!!!!!!!!!!   :confused:  

Set from 7:30 to about 1:30... Lots of birds, a few squirrels... NO DEER!!! Not a tail, Not a flick of an ear... Not even a "I thought I saw one sneeking through the brush".....

NO SIGN EITHER!!!!! I found a few scapes last week. Pissed in them to try and freshen them... Nothing!!! A couple days ago, I took the tip of my old Grizzly and flipped a bunch of leaves in them... Yesterday nothing, Today nothing... No attempt whatsoever, to open them back up!!!!

Now I'm STUMPED!!!!! There is usualy a good deer population on the property we hunt. A good number of Does,Fawns,and young bucks. Usualy we see, or see sign of, a real bruiser or two. Most years, the woods are all tore up by this time with lots of scrapes,and all the cedar trees up to a foot in diameter, are all raked to hell!!!

This year??? NOTHING!!!!!

Hmmmmm, Whodathunkit.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
I hate it when that happens Woodchucker...get all excited because there are some scrapes and then they go cold for no reason that you can see

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: October 31, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Did a short sit this evening, got a late start because the landowner wanted to chat. But I still went thru the motions of being a good hunter and again to no avail. Not a chickadee, jay or even a crow was to be seen. A pair of bushy tails had a race all over the place but that was short lived. I also have noticed all the spots that always had rubs and scrape are void of sign..........   :dunno:   I'll keep at it.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
Today was to quite and Sunday sounds like it is going to be a hurricane!!!!!!!

I got to watch a hawk hunt today but like me he went away empty handed.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
get you some sauce a birds chuck
I'll be out in the morning
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Saw 2 deer all day... I think they were lost lol I'm at camp making some classic "Camp Stew" carrots, onions, mushrooms, long grain rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, and some moose meat the neighbor gave me... All my gear is dripping as it hangs above the wood stove that is putting out a little to much heat and today after hunting in the 30-40° rain that feels about right... I love Camp... I wish Gerald, David and Ron w were here for some stew!
   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Ahhhhhhh.......camp and a wood stove, don't get no better.   :thumbsup:   AND moose stew.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: November 01, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
I spent 10 1/2 hours in the woods today and saw 2 does, and I walked up on them .
You better be careful Jim you might have a dinner guest.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: November 01, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
small buck and a doe seen this morning no shots
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Had does feeding about 50 yards from me right under my other stand. Couldn't sit there cause they would have winded me, they fed for over an hour. No bucks spotted today yet.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
Can't get out again until Tuesday after I vote. I haven't seen much action around the house or in my travels to and from work.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: November 01, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Deer down in Painted Post.   :bigsmyl:  

Details to follow!!!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: November 01, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Good for you Dave!

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: November 01, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
:campfire:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: November 01, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Well, just when you don't expect it, a deer comes marching toward you. I had just left the house and was going up my hill to retrieve a stand and move it the woods behind my house. I usually always carry my bow with me just in case. Good thing I did, cause as I approached a bench oon the side hill I saw a deers head above me coming from the left. I dropped to one knee and quickly drew an arrow from my EFA quiver. The deer was above me and I could see it was a nice Doe. She stopped with her head behind a tree and I pulled up and got ready to draw my bow. She cleared the tree and exposed her vitals for what I thought would be a clean 17 yrd shot. I drew in one fluid motion and picked the spot just behind her front elbow. As I released she turned and saw the arrow coming her way. She did the dip and twist but I heard the 482 grn arrow smack her hard. She took off on a dead run, leaping and bounding, and I could see the arrow sticking straight up out of her back. I thought "oh man" that's not good, but within 30 yrds I heard a crash and thrash. I couldn't believe it at the time and thought it was just her hitting some brush or something. Well I waited a few minutes to survey the situation and got out my little 10x binos to see what I could see. I was hoping she laid down, and then saw that a deer was moving in the direction of her flight. Another deer was there where I had last seen her and figured it must be that another doe was with her, or it was her and she wasn't that badly hit. After not seeing any movement for another half hour, I slowly and quietly moved toward the scene with arrow ready. As I approached, a nice buck got up and tore off and it was laying ten ft from the doe which had indeed been taken out by the supper sharp two blade Zwickey. That's right guys, this doe had a boy friend with her and I never saw him until after I shot the Doe. So low and behold the early girl is telling us that for some, the does are coming into estrous.I believe it's the buck Iv' been after, and hopefully he'll be back on the prowl tomorrow morning when I'm sitting in my stand. I was hoping to get a little of her urine, but see didn't have a drop in her. @#%$%..it Well I got a nice doe from the ground so here she is....

c38ce6e.jpg[/IMG][/url]

HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: November 01, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Nice deer my friend!  You are deadly with that stick and string.  That'll be some real good eatin'.  Good luck tomorrow, too!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: November 01, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Oh, and thanks for sharing the hunt.  I'm proud of you Man!    :archer2:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: November 01, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Nice Dave.........Get the speedie sauce ready....lol!   ;)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: November 01, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
Thanks, Ron and Ron, I was having a bad year until today. What a hunt it turned out to be. I'm pumped. I decided to take a doe this year if I got the chance. Wasn't expecting a buck to be with her quite yet. If I had seen him it would have been him I would have waited for. He had about a 15 or 16 in. rack   :banghead:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
:clapper:   Way to go Dave. Nice doe