3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters!  (Read 34240 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters!
« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
That sucks but like izzy said the buck is probably pretty close to where you left the blood trail.

One of my first deer I pulled the don't wait and push him along trick, I followed him forever.  Last 100 yards no blood but he was on a bee line with no turns so I just extended it and found him.  Good luck today,let us know how you make out.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Good luck Marvin.  It sounds like you will get him.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Well today is the last day for me!  Of work that is I have the next week off to try to put some meat in the freezer.  It is looking like we will have good weather next week.  Let hope the deer cooperate!  I will be checking in and letting you know how things are going.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: November 07, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Hope you find him too.

I shot over the back of a beautiful buck yesterday afternoon.
Not a good feeling!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #444 on: November 07, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Good luck Matt. I'll be in the pine bush today, working unfortunately but will be hunting close to home tomorrow afternoon. We might even get snow this weekend.

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
My response was lost to cyberspace so I'll try again. Lost my deer after 12hrs trailing and over 900yds per GPS map. He never laid down and despite good early blood he quit bleeding for last 300yds along a wheat field. I got 2 more drops after he jumped a ditch to cross a road. Lost track shortly after that. I'm thinking shoulder hit and hopefully he'll recover. I feel awful about the poor hit on a great buck. 18yd shot at a broadside deer I should have done better. He was a biggie and I sure hope he makes it. I don't mind a clean kill but I get sick at a wounding.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Marvin way to follow up on a deer that you hit. We all have been there, not good but it is what it is.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: November 07, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Bummer Marvin. I applaud your follow up on this deer.

Good Luck Matt. You should have a great wek ahead of you.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #448 on: November 07, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Marvin I feel your pain. When it bleeds like crazy then continues to taper off to nothing and he never beds that doesn't sound like a fatal wound .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Marvin, sorry on Tuesday at 7:10 am I had a 15 yd shot at nice 6pt. He was movin but slow. I shot hit him about 8 inches from tail. I could not believe my incompetence! Arrow fell out ten yes after hit. I watched him stop about 45 yds away wondering what happened. I told myself I would not leave stand for at least an hour.
In that hour I thought of taking up golf, selling my bow incl the tip on order. I actually considered putting the safety harness around my neck and jumping off the tree stand. I said a prayer, then a high mass etc. after giving myself a real beating I said I owed it to the critter to spend all day looking even though ass shots have little chance of recovery..
Got down and noticed blood immediately, went to arrow and totally intact (cedar w Simmons land shark). It had deep dark blood half way up. Really surprised me arrow came out so quickly. I decided since he was slightly quartering away I may have got the artery. So do not push him. Had to drive a friend to vote so I decided to do that after I drive down dirt road I felt he probably crossed. I figured truck would not spook him out of bed, not 50 yes down road he was laying there with head up looking other way. I was only 15 yes away and stopped truck, he jumped up and I could not believe the damage, blood and he started to go into woods but was really hurting. I put truck in reverse and came back with friend after we voted, probably two hrs.
When I returned I tracked blood trail that Ray Charles could have seen. He was only 20 yes from road and had expired.
I did not deserve this buck but I was pleased the coyotes wouldn't get him. I am ashamed by my poor shot and I think I peeked when I released. I only tell this story to relate that strange things happen even when we mess up. I will work hard during winter bow league to improve my skills.

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Right now my whole body aches from the stress. After 40+ years of deer hunting you'd think I cope better. Went out to fling a few at the target today and could barely hit anything at even 20yds. Those who know me know that's not my norm. I gotta get my head right (even a simple mind is a terrible thing )if I'm going to put it together this week. FMSCAN the TEXAS HEART SHOT  is a meat wrecker and nothing to hope for but thankfully is often very lethal. Good luck to all.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
You fellas hang in there. It sucks real bad to wound them and lose them but if you aren't doing it intentionally you gotta pick yourself up and maybe shoot a little to get your mojo back. I hate to say it but don't rush yourself back into the woods if you aint feeling it. Take your time and get right, the deer will be there when your ready.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
That stinks Marv, but I do think if he was not dead in 900 yrds I'm pretty sure he won't die from the arrow wound.
I know your a good shot, and like everybody says bowhunting is a game of inches.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss Marvin. Luckily and I mean luckily it hasn't happened to me this year. The hit I made on the doe I shot this year could have and should have been a disaster! She tried to dodge the arrow, Like I said, I got lucky. It happens to all of us, and I'm no exception. I lost a nice buck I hit from the ground about 6 years ago. Everything felt right upon release. I just shot a couple inches too far forward. Don't beat yourself up to bad, your an excellent shot and I hope you can enjoy the rest of your season.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
A miss is rare for you Philip..

You'll whack him next time out I'm sure

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: November 08, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Sat for 3+ hours this AM, saw 4 deer all way to far away. Nice cool morning.....I still see no rut activity.....   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #456 on: November 08, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
Walked up on this little guy yesterday.  Haven't seen much activity here either Ron W. Great weather to still hunt though.

Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pointer:
A miss is rare for you Philip..

You'll whack him next time out I'm sure
How are you John. Hope all is well.
When thinking back on the encounter, I should have waited a bit longer and watch him. I saw a window for a shot as he turned offering a quartering away target. I figure 25-28 yards, a bit out of my comfort zone but it felt right or I would not have loosed the arrow. My trusty Silvertip anxious to perform and did flawlessly.
My arrow flew true but just over his back.
I rushed and didn't pick a spot. I know better and got caught up in the excitement which most traditional bow hunters can relate.
Off to the woods I go, wish me luck and good luck to you and all our NY friends.

.....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Congrats to all!!  Due to moving into a new house and working a new job with no vaca time yet, today was my first morning out this year.  Had deer moving all around me this morning.  I couldn't put a crown on any of them, all does and one for horn.  Had this one come right under my tree stand.  Had to wait till she walked about 8 yards out to shoot. I was hunting with a Tall Tines that I acquired this past summer.  

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Nice shooting Sean.  Congrats.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©