3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters!  (Read 34138 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters!
« Reply #620 on: December 06, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Me too Fred but I hate sitting at home wishing I was hunting even more.

With my wife and I sharing a car, the time I get to hunt is limited, so I take every chance I get. I wanted a close up shot today but didn't get it so I let the deer walk.

Tomorrow morning looks like it will be a beautiful one for the woods. That's where I intend to be.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
Guys- new member to the site and from Buffalo.  Been thinking long and hard about giving up the wheel bow and trying the traditional side.  This thread is making the decision that much easier.  Best of luck in the late season - Bob

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #622 on: December 07, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Welcome Bob, Welcome to the site.  Spent quite a bit of time in Western NY, My son went to Buff State, and I've done a lot of living history events at Old Ft. Niagara.  If you're proficient with the stick and string, there's no reason to keep the wheels on!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Welcome Bob!  Western NY is a great place to hunt unless you are shoveling 8 feet of snow.

Once you make the leap, one day you will ask yourself why you waited so long.

Sure I don't kill many deer, but I enjoy my hunts wayyyyyy more. Plus Now I have an excuse to shoot year round.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #624 on: December 07, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I sat in the Pine Bush this morning.  

Maybe some of you can relate...

Last night the forecast said low 20's so  an extra wool shirt and Vest was packed (glad I did)

Got to the woods. Temps were in low 30's. I contemplated leaving extra gear at car but quickly became lazy deciding to keep it in the pack.

After quickly and quietly arrived at my spot and Noticing fresh tracks Everywhere, I couldnt help but think this is going to be a great Morning!  

The tree I climb has a lot of little knobs which makes climbing a chore but I manage to get up without making any clanking noises. The tree I really wanted to go to is only 80 yards from me but the wind wouldn't have it. This is the tree that showed all this mornings action.

As I get settled, I take my Jacket and hang it on a limb. I think to myself, what if the limb breaks, that would stink... So a quick Test for dead limb sturdiness and I promptly hang the jacket.... As I turned around a strong North wind gust sends my jacket to the ground.  Didn't think about wind taking the jacket to the earth.   :readit:  

I am saddened our season ends so soon. I love this stuff.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #625 on: December 07, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Charlie were you hunting public land that only allows bow hunters now? You did well and I was surprised cuz by now all the Dumb deer are dead and the others are only active at night. I would assume that you were hunting an area not pressured by all the gun guys...

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #626 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by fmscan:
Charlie were you hunting public land that only allows bow hunters now? You did well and I was surprised cuz by now all the Dumb deer are dead and the others are only active at night. I would assume that you were hunting an area not pressured by all the gun guys...
Frank, the Albany Pine Bush is bow only. I wish the state had more areas bow only because it is truly a privilege and treat to be able to see deer on natural movements after regular season opens.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #627 on: December 14, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
This Morning was my last sit. I saw 3 does but couldn't get a shot.

I had a great deer season. I saw a lot of deer, passed up some earlier and had a  few almost opportunities. I wish I could keep deer hunting but the season is just too darn quick.

I have keyed in on a few rabbit hides already. Like every year, I save 2 rabbits saved for a Recipe to get the season off right. They are marinating now and I have chosen to make Hasenpfeffer this week.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Lets see. I should bring red wine for Hasenpfeffer.    :thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #629 on: December 15, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Tuesday is the last dance...... If all goes well I'm going to give it one more try in the morning. Not sure what to expect but we shall see. Headed to the bow only zone again and can only hope for a bit of luck..........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #630 on: December 15, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I'll be out tommorrow afternoon . On Saturday and Sunday afternoon I saw a group of six does just not in range. Maybe just maybe tommorrow...
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #631 on: December 16, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
The end is bittersweet.......saw 3 deer walking in 30 minutes before shooting time. The after sitting till 9 am I see deer moving in the distance. Slowly they work towards me and at 9:15 a shot presents it's self on a small doe. 12-15 yards broadside I take the shot.....Looks to be behind the shoulder but a bit high. I wait 20 minutes and go look for blood. Find it right off. I wait 10 more minutes and start on the trail. I have good blood, don't even have to bend over to follow. At 80 yards I find my 2016 XX75 with 7" missing from the front.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #632 on: December 16, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #633 on: December 16, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
And?    :dunno:  

Rick

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #634 on: December 16, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Now the blood is starting to be not as frequent but still easy to follow. Then the worse thing happens, she turns and goes on to private land that I can't go on. The good news is I just got a call that I now have permission to go look for her in the morning. I hope I can find her.....   :pray:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #635 on: December 16, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Good Luck Ron.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #636 on: December 16, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Best wishes Ron. Stay positive.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #637 on: December 16, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
hope you find her Ron
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #638 on: December 16, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Ron,
Did you see bubbles in the blood? The best tomorrow and may God be riding on your shoulder. You more than deserve it.    :pray:  

Rick

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #639 on: December 16, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
No I did not see bubbles.......which concerns me a bit. Blood was vivid red and lots of it for the first 125 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©