3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reminding Myself To Keep It Simple.....  (Read 871 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Reminding Myself To Keep It Simple.....
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
With 11 days to Michigans bow season, I am in full prep mode. Last night, however, I paused and laughed at myself.

Every year on DAY 1.....my haversack and pockets are bulging with stuff "I need". By DAY 45.....my around the house farmland deer kit has been trimmed down to "knife, lighter, compass, rope".

I'm exaggerating a little, but I'm always shocked at myself with how much gadgetry I start out with, and how simple I end up.

Asbell writes in Stalking and Stillhunting about how everything extra you bring directly affects how successful and being quiet and stealthy you are. He mentions todays whitetail hunter going from pickup to treestand with a full backpack, and compares it to his first Alaska trip, when he wandered around with a can of sardines and an extra sweater.

I'm not giving advice here....just saying it out loud, maybe to remind myself   :D
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reminding Myself To Keep It Simple.....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
I think about this every time I strap on my pack when elk hunting. However, I am alone, in remote country, and you just never know. My whitetail rig is quite different from my elk hunting outfit, and a lot easier to carry.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
My most hunted spot is in my backyard so I don't bring anything except the clothes on my back, bow and arrows.

I don't need much more to hunt the local WMA...and it's illegal to start a fire there.

When I hunt the "big woods", I have plenty of stuff in camp but don't necessarily need to bring much of it on the actual hunt.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by centaur:
I think about this every time I strap on my pack when elk hunting. However, I am alone, in remote country, and you just never know. My whitetail rig is quite different from my elk hunting outfit, and a lot easier to carry.
You might remember Mike Vines and I were in the Big Horns (your backyard) last fall....I definitely carried a bit more than my white/farmland kit. Not knowing the terrain, being alone with no cell phone to call an ambulance...I agree 100% with you that some places DO require a bit more "gear".

G. Fred Asbell

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Great reminder, well stated.  Have a great season.
"They're all trophies"

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Agree hole hardly,  as I get older all the extra has gained in weight and confusion as to why I have it in the first place.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I don't have this problem bowhunting but come turkey season my turkey vest looks like Bass Pro erupted.  By two weeks into it I'll have 2/3rds of the stuff either scattered around the house or laying behind the seat of my truck.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
I must admit I have never taken much to the woods with me.  Matches/lighter, some TP,water, snickers bars(depending on how long I will be out), a good knife, sometimes a compass if I am in new country and perhaps a short length of rope. Since I have coverage and my wife demands it of me because of health and age issues, my cell phone.

That being said, I am hunting in Southernmost Illinois mostly on my own property but sometimes on other ground and I can usually drive my truck/tractor/4 wheeler almost right to a deer.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Roger, I'm with you.  I find it amazing how much "stuff" ends up in my pack and pockets and how little I truely need.  Thanks for the reminder.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
Keep it simple. Thought about that all day today brushing up blinds.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 01:16:00 AM »
Last week Roger, I laid out everything on my work bench that I "want" to take with me. Then after serious consideration, eliminate one by one the stuff I really can do without.

Now it's very simple, when hunting with my back quiver and large fanny pack, all I do is transfer those items to my Catquiver 3.5 when I hunt with my left handed bow. I just make sure I carry fresh water or Gatorade on every hunt.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Good idea Joe....I'm doing a warmup today, taking a kid out for the youth hunt. It will be handy in reminding me what I need and what I don't.

As an aside, the kid I'm taking...his Father is a partner on our lease. Dad is taking one son, I'm taking the other. Dad....although one of my oldest and dearest friends, is at McGyver level of gadgetry-love. He will take one kid and they will both have bulging day packs  (fatter than any pack I ever wore in the Army) for an afternoon hunt. I will take the other, and we will have a haversack, mostly filled with jerky for snacks.    :bigsmyl:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
I go through this every year, I finally just bought a smaller pack.. that helped a lot but before season and a couple times during I empty it out and re evaluate.. some depends where im hunting but I find I always have more "stuff" than I will ever need...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Opening day I brought all my toys into the woods. 1 week into the season my pack load has been cut in half.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I struggle to cut clothing. As a mountain hunter, cold weather can mean COLD weather. My pack space mostly gets filled with clothes and water.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
Good thought process Roger.  For my back yard whitetail hunting,  if it doesn't fit in the 'man purse' it doesn't need to go.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 06:08:00 AM »
Umm, that's a satchel, Ray...

I'm about the same, except after the first outing, I seem to add a few pieces, I forgot. THEN things seem to thin out a bit after a few more trips.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
I go thru the same thing. Even camping at dder camp I take way too much. We went salmon fishing and scouting this past weeken and I didnt take my camper just a tent and my truck was still full and I wanted to go light, go figure...
My main deer spot down here is close so I only take my bow, knife a head lamp and thats about it.
anything else I need I can return to the truck and get if I need. If Im lucky and shoot something I usually leave for a while and give some time before I take up the track anyway.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Roger...nothing wrong with giving that advice...I often think about how we get into traditional bowhunting to keep things simple and then work very hard to complicate it...I hunt close to home on land I know well a lot and your refined down kit seems perfect to me...and I leave the lighter, compass/gps and rope in my truck...only thing I might add is a small flashlight if hunting late

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Oh, I still carry a compass.  The deer runs into the marsh I hunt and it gets dark while I do the cleaning and I always check which way is out before I start dragging.  I have hunted here for 20 years or more and when its dark, I can still get turned around.

CHuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©