3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Public Land Hunters! What do you look for?  (Read 586 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Public Land Hunters! What do you look for?
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I have been lucky enough to draw a 5 day permit to a piece of public land near my house.  This state land is where I killed my one and only deer, 9 seasons ago...

I can only get in for the 2 days prior to my permit period for scouting.  I'm looking at maps on line right now.

But, my question is this, when you're hunting public land and have limited time to scout, what are you looking for?

I've looked for food, farmers field to the south of my area.  I can go to the SW corner of my "zone" and get close, but not real close.

Cover, I think I'm smack dab in the middle of it.  I believe I have an area that the deer use to bed down in.

My time period is for the 31st of October to the 4th of Nov.  So my hopes are fairly high the deer will be moving regardless of normal patterns...

What am I missing?  If this season goes deer-less look for bows to be sold after the 15th of January...   ;)  

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Public Land Hunters! What do you look for?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
That time of year I'd be sitting in the busiest trail I can find.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Look for trails for sure, but also be aware of scrapes and scrape lines. Be mobile. Play the wind and look for funnels that will provide you with good bow shots. Not sure about your area, but white oaks with acorns are always a good draw that time of year. You did not mention how many hunters would be working the area but I would always try to get away from the crowd. Get there early and leave late. Let others push the deer toward you. Good luck and shoot straight.    :campfire:

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Jeremy:

Is your permit for Clinton?  If so, I would look for well established travel corridors that go from your bedding/loafing type areas to feeding areas. This will allow you to "fudge"your way into the best possible placement.  Your time frame is right at the very front end of rut.  I see good rut here in Southernmost Illinois on Vetrans Day (Nov 11 this year)

Truth is, if its Clinton arent you required to take a doe before you can take a buck?

If its not Clinton where is it?  I have no dog in this hunt and since its a draw hunt you are not giving anything up by saying where.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
You could also post a topographical image of your area and I'm sure the folks here could make some suggestions.   I personally love finding natural funnel points or pinch points that increase my chances of having a deer walk by in bow range.

Go to google earth, find your area and zoom in, turn on the topo layer and take a screen shot.   Post up the photo here.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Great advice everyone!  Thank you.  Mr. Turner, that is my initial thought process.  Look for a trail or two, intersections, that come into and out the bog.  The area I have is all bog.  I might find a tall tree or two but I'm not holding my breath.  Also I have a permit for my son and I.  We should be the only ones in our "zone" for that time period.  There are other zones that border our area and other time periods prior to our alotted time.  But, we should be the only two in our specified area.

Bruce, it's Volo Bog, way up North.  And I'm not going to picky.  As long as the spots are gone I'm going to ready to shoot.  I'm looking to put meat in my freezer.

dnurk, thought of that, gonna try it...

Well, here's a link, I have access to zone "I"

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/FactSheets/Documents/VoloBogHunterMapArchery.pdf

-Jeremy  :coffee:

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Zones B and D are where I believe the deer head to feed at night...

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
draw hunts where the deer are undisturbed then infiltrated with hunters.... then I hunt escape routes and areas that offer security...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
The middle of our area is all bog.  Thick, nasty, dry and loud bog.  For sure that's where I've seen the deer run in the past.  Right to the middle of that darn area.  Will for sure look on the edges for entry & exit.  Thanks for the tip Slasher!

-Jeremy  :coffee:

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Jeremy:

Have not been on that site in 10 years.  I am sure it has changed some.

Find a good spot based on everything posted and what you know about it and have at it.  

Remember, its not all about the harvest but rather the experience.... especially with your son...

Good luck
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Can you access from the lake or must you park in the lot ?  

I myself would start looking along the lake, around where the two lower  bays are, as shown by the lines jutting west.  Winds that time of the year are normally from the west on around to the north, that quadrant.  Scent will blow from the lot right into the hunting area.

Scent from along the lake blows out onto the lake.

The lake also forms a boundary or barrier for deer travel and there should be at least one big trail somewhere withing 50 yards of the shore, following the shore.  

It appears that trails or fence lines run into a sort of center, right in that area I am speaking.  I would check out that edge trail for moving deer and also, check out the edge of the treeline (just west of there) where it meets the wetter areas and "bog". If there happens to be an apple of similar tree in that area, that might draw a deer or two.

Another thing you can do, especially if you have a ghillie suit or such, is to find a main trail right thru the marsh and find a spot downwind and cut yourself a nest in the grass or cattails, maybe 10-15 yards from the trail.

Make certain you have shooting spots and that you can see at least a little bit on the trail, so they don't just walk by and you never see them.  I find that very few hunt where there are no trees and those trails thru the marsh often get under hunted.

That should be a good spot and a good time of the year to hunt it.
Good luck.
ChuckC

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Dog gone ChuckC, I totally forgot the prevailing wind thing.  You are right that the wind would blow our scent across the bog if I stayed on the West boundry.

The bottom right corner is where I shot my deer so long ago.  But we were able to park in lot E.  I believe I have to stay in the lot on the north end of "I".  I'm going to call and ask though.  I'm not crazy about walking across the unstable bog soil.

No lake access either.  But I will be looking into the East side along that lake.  Thank you for reminding me to think of that!

Yes Bruce, it is about the hunt.  Especially for my son.  We went last year but never saw a deer.  I'm hoping, as is he, that he at least lays his eyes on some and get's to feel that thump thump in his chest.

Thanks again for all the advice.  I will put it to use.  If we're succesful I hope to post over in the harvest thread.

-Jeremy  :pray:    :coffee:

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
I don't have much experience but I look for fresh trails close to oak trees.  I also like to get off the beaten path, I have no problem walking a ways before I sit down.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
My suggestion is 3 good set ups. Mornings and evenings close to beding areas. Always set up closest to bedding rather than feeding on public land as deer are more pressured and most won't hit food until night. Then another mid-day set up on corridors that are designed for bucks to cover multiple doe areas. For this think major funnels like lake edges, fence lines, thick zones thru open areas, rivers, Creeks, ditches, roads, etc.
Hunt all day each day. Just move from morning stand to mid-day stand to evening stand, sleep, repeat.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Too Bad it says ZONE I over what looks like intersections of old fence rows.  I would look closely at that area. It has been my experience deer will follow these old lines especially when cruising for does.

Also walk the SE section as deer will be eating peoples Shrubs and if there are any back yard feeders going.

Also get a closer look between the Z and O as it looks like a  couple Valleys come together. I bet there would be a  good crossing in there and maybe some acorns falling too.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I look for areas where multiple types of habitat or terrain features intersect.  Look for natural paths of travel, paths of least resistance, the 'highways' of the forest, especially where they are near really nasty gnarly cover.  Water sources where the multiple types of habitat or terrain converge are a good bet too.  Try and think like a deer.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Travel corridors and funnels. Try to sit all day. Good luck!

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
when you scout walk the transitions of the woods and the marsh that is where you will see most of the activity, also if you can find high ground in the middle of the marsh that will likely be a good bedding area

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©