3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you mask your face for hunting?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you mask your face for hunting?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Yes, paint. Dark color on the high spots like cheek bones and nose, lighter in the rest. Broken pattern.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by zipper bowss:
Only when I miss!!Then I hide my face!

If you paint your face. Shaving cream will take that stuff off nicely.    :thumbsup:  
Marine corps?    :thumbsup:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Buff during the early season then First Lite balaclava asat later. Only when wearing my contacts though. Carbomask if wearing glasses.

I also keep my hands covered. I am convinced that face and hands are more important than the pattern I wear. I do have a fair complexion.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
Carbo Mask and/or a First Lite balaclava. Usually some form of brimmed hat to provide shadows on my face. Have used a shemagh in the past to great effect as well.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I use them all the time. The mesh type from Hunters Specialties.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Ground hunting, yes, camo net with eye holes in warm weather, neoprene in winter. Tree hunting, only in mosquito season.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I used to just let my beard grow, but now it's white and has the opposite effect. Have to cover it up.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
I learned last year and proved it again this past saturday that if you dont move deer wont see you i doubt i will wear a mask all the time this season its more for bugs and warmth....   Not sure if my theory works the same with an alert deer because half the bucks i have taken did look right at me but then looked away and i think i had a mask on most or those times..
"Us vs Them"

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Just a lightweight "spando-flage" type mask whenever possible.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
I prefer burnt cork..just some vertical lines down my face and neck to break up the outline. Easy to touch up and easy to wash off

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:

Originally posted by zipper bowss:
Only when I miss!!Then I hide my face!

If you paint your face. Shaving cream will take that stuff off nicely.      :thumbsup:    
Marine corps?      :thumbsup:   [/b]
You guessed it! I'll bet I know how you knew.   :D

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Though I often have a beard during fall, I learned many years ago that it's important to cover as many contrasting body parts as possible, especially those that move alot...namely the face (mask) and hands (gloves).  It's also a good idea to practice frequently with these items.  In fact, I wear a light jersey glove under my tab all year (backyard summer practice, 3d shoots, etc.), to ensure that I stay used to the 'feel' of a gloved release hand.  A fletch cover for bright arrow fletching is also a good idea.

Deer don't survive in the wild by being stupid and anything that 'flags' their eyes is obviously bad for the flagger.  For the close shooting that comes with bowhunting it just makes sense to blend in as much as possible.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
Spandoflauge facemask - whether in my ghillie on the ground or in treestand.  True deer catch movement and a face mask is not absolutely vital if you are not moving.  However, bare skin has a different sheen to it and is far more light reflective then most background settings.... thus when you do move it makes it that much easier for a deer, or most game animals, to peg you.  Now if you can sit absolutely still for hours on end  - no problem....but I do believe you are diminishing your chance of remaining non-detected if you do not cover your face and hands to some degree.  

BTW - nature is seldom still.  Birds, squirrels and natural movement of foliage is usually occurring in the woods at any given moment and thus deer get inundated with all kinds of movement every day.  They can’t and won’t bolt at movement unless then identify it as a danger.   There are few things that occur in nature that resemble the human face – I believe deer can and do recognize the sheen and shape of a man’s face.   I can usually get away with more movement then what most people would think when I am fully camouflaged in my ghillie suit…. If my face is bare then the deer usually do not tolerate movement and have an easier time pegging me as danger – just my observations over many years.  Bare hands can have a similar effect of drawing unwanted attention.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
I wear glasses. The only mask that does not fog them up  is my ASAT 3D mask.There is enough mesh that it allows exhalations to disperse.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
I use a light weight fabric hood.
Sam

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I tried Buff last year and liked it a lot. Great here in TX when it's hot and keeps the skeeters away

Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
we all used Buffs for saltwater fly fishing mostly tropical stuff where the reflection off the water would fry our faces,,, never would I imagine buff would be headed to the camo market..   I should try my version in the Dorado color I think that would look cool.
"Us vs Them"

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I just feel naked with my bare face sticking out there. It is probably just a confidence thing but I like my hands and face covered.
I have worn the spandoflauge mask a lot but it is so hot here during early season even it feels hot so I just paint my face. I keep a small pack of unscented baby wipes in my pack and a big pack in the truck. The paint comes right off, I just have to remember to take it off before running to the 7-11. I really got some strange looks.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Sometimes.

Here is a cold weather pic. The fleece comes down to shoot but under it is a super thin camo skin.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
Carbo mask face pInt till it gets cold then a mask.
This!

For those that haven't tried Carbo Mask, you are missing out on the best.  Long lasting and stupid easy to remove.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©