3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String waxing  (Read 219 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
String waxing
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
I'm always interested when people take new looks at old ways of doing things, and when I read such accounts, I often discover better ways of doing things myself.  With that in mind, I've been curious over the years about string waxing, but haven't found anything authoritative about why we do it, how we do it, or better alternatives to the way we do it.  As far as I can tell, we wax strings because we have always waxed them, and the reasons we wax them are the same reasons that were handed down to us from the generation before, who probably had the same reasons handed down to them from the generation before that.

Is anyone aware of anyone who has taken a fresh look at this, that might either validate or change the way we have always waxed strings?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String waxing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Well, I can't answer your question, as I don't know why we do, but have you ever seen a string that hasn't been waxed in a long time?
It's dry looking and fraying. Maybe it's not really a problem, but it sure wouldn't give me much confidence in my string.

It's a good question though. I'd be interested to hear from a chemist. Does Dacron get brittle if it is left to dry out or something? My logical side wants to think there is no reason to wax a string, as we don't do that to any other string/rope material in any other activity that I know of. But, I'm no chemist, maybe the material requires extra care under this kind of stress?

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
McDave,

I am interested in the responses to your question.  For me, I am still using bee's wax and toilet ring as I have enough on hand for an army.  I don't know what more I can expect from a wax than I am getting now.  My strings last a long time without showing degredation due to abrasion, wear, etc.  If there is something significantly better out there, I'd consider it.

When it comes to questions like this I first look to the manufacturers to see what's going on in the industry.  Just to stay competitive now days they need to look to the forefront of their respective industries.

From a cursory examination of the market it appears that there are more waxes that contain polymeric compounds including silicon to help lubricate as well as protect.  Also, I just visited the BCY web site and the info in their FAQ section is enlightening  http://www.bcyfibers.com/FAQs.php

I could be biased as I only use BCY string material but it seems that they are at or near the top of their field.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Waxing helps hold strands while building a string

The old days strings were linen and perhaps the wax kept the string from absorbing moisture.  We have been doing it so long  
I still burnish them by rubbing  the new wax into the string.

Be careful to get the "sticky" blended in o as not to attract debris to hold on the string
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Waxing modern string material keep the bow more quiet too.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
The best string maker I know suggest to take the tension off the string and wax thoroughly, that's good enough for me.   :biglaugh:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I've used different string materials since I was just a boy and watching my  mentors. In those early days the material was B-43 or even lower numbered.

The string then was prone to abrasion and that was the prime reason to not let the string get dry.

Since that time I've watched the evolution of string material.

I made my first flemish twist string some time in the 60's and of course wax was and is needed to hold the strands in place during construction.

You just didn't see flemish strings back then. Endless was the rage even on longbows... pretty scarce as well.

I find that other than construction wax is important to lubricate the strands so they don't chafe on each other as well as abrasion from outside sources.

With todays materials I like the to use one of the "greasier" waxes for the job... the tackier bees- wax is reserved for making the string.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
As said, used to be string materials absorbed moisture and waxing helped hinder that.  Now it's a lubricant as far as maintenance waxes go and it helps give some tack and keep the bundles together when making a Flemish string.  Wax does NOT hold a Flemish string together--heard folks say that a lot over the years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©