3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CRASHED AND BURNED  (Read 434 times)

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
CRASHED AND BURNED
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
That is my ego just did. I shot in a competition shoot today and I fell apart right from the first target. I was shooting with compound guys and I was intimidated right from the start. They were really good. One guy finished first and the other third, each separated by two points. 293 and 291 out of 300. The course was easy. I have been averaging around 260 on some of the local courses but I just did everything bad today and as the day went on I just got worse. 197 out of 300. By the end of the course I was not even close to hitting anchor. The absolute worse part of the whole day came when they announced that I took first place in traditional. I was the only trad. shooter. The reason that I am writing this is because a few weeks ago I had a clicker on my recurve. I was at Denton hill shooting by myself. When I would come up on a group of guys they would offer to let me shoot through. This would normally intimidate me too, but, with the clicker I was able to anchor solidly, aim and shoot and hit where I was aiming. Guys were trying to bust me that everyone was watching but it didn't matter. I took the clicker off because I was having trouble getting through it. Sometimes I would pull through it before I would get to anchor and sometimes I would get to anchor right at the edge but as I started to aim ( several seconds before I was ready to shoot) I would creep forward a bit and then I couldn't get through the clicker. Anyway, today made me realize that I need to learn how to make that thing work. Even though I didn't have it mastered, when I had it on I was able to anchor and aim no matter how much pressure seemed to be on me. Thanks again to Joel. He started me out with the clicked at Denton.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CRASHED AND BURNED
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
your doing a lot better than me.... I cant shoot with my dog watching me.....let alone a group of people
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Bad days just happen sometimes!

Sorry it was your turn today!

Bisch

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
We all have had those days, (trad shooters & wheelie shooters alike), and its best to regroup and move on. For me, when I have one of those days, it humbles me. Keep moving forward my friend.   :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
Part of playing our game.Dont let it bother you!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
I learned something very valuable from Joel that I think most of us are missing and would sound simple. I was unable to come to full draw and anchor. I  admitted that I had target panic and began working with Joel. The TP drove me crazy for several months this year. I went to a clicker and tried double anchors and listened to everyone's advise to only recognize that I wasn't simply thinking about pulling back to anchor. Joel asked me one day while on the phone in regards to what I was thinking about while drawing to anchor and my reply was "nothing". I now look at the target and complete the aiming process but my mind then becomes filled with thoughts about pulling to my anchor point. My shooting has improved greatly and now have confidence going into hunting season.

Ron

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
I've had days like that. I've found that the first time I don't hit anchor is the critical moment.  If I shoot the next shot, or any of the next few shots, without hitting anchor, then it becomes almost impossible to correct for the rest of the tournament. I can enjoy a tournament when I'm not shooting my best for whatever reason, but I can't enjoy myself if I feel like I don't have control over my shots.  So I've found that if I at least come to anchor on the next shot, and think about nothing but coming to anchor for a few more shots, even if I don't do anything else right, then the pressure seems to ease up and I can start focusing again on the other things I should be doing to hit the target.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
"Can't shoot with my dog watching"
Just about spit up my drink.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Don't be stressing a bad/off day -- we get those, -- welcome yours was today!

Only thing you can do is look back and laugh - move on to the next day/range
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I was in such bad shape today that your dog would have probably busted out laughing when he saw me shoot. Not being able to hit anchor, shaking like crazy when I even got close to anchor and the ever popular letting er rip about 4" from anchor. I actually only missed two targets, lucky they were as big as they were. I actually posted this more because it was a realization that what I'm doing is not getting the results that I want. Everyone has off days but this forced me to admit that I am just not in control of my shot. I make some good shots but then the bad ones come back in. Even when I shoot decent scores I know that my shots are off a bit and not hitting the spots that I am aiming at and I am referring to some easy shots. A clicker is not the answer for everyone. It may not even be the answer for me but I am going to change what I have been doing. Since I wrote the starting post I rewatched Joels video. Keeping in mind some of his suggestions I tried the feather to the nose technique. I didn't have any double stick tape to reattach the clicker. Now I'm not saying that I'm cured by any means, but, at ten yds. I was able to anchor solidly and just not shoot until I decided to start the pull pull pull to my nose. The difference in my feeling in control almost pisses me off. WHY CAN'T I DO THIS the way I normally shoot? I have to change what I have been doing and this seems to be the way to go FOR ME.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Why are you intimidated by them?  They are 'shooting' a machine?  Groups of people, whoever they are, do make it more like you're on the spot, but you need to relax and have FUN.  You stopped having fun.  Take some deep breaths, remember why you love trad, and ENJOY yourself.  Forget everyone else.  You're only trying to best yourself is the attitude to have.  Just laugh away the nerves and do it like its your backyard.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
I am the master of having lousy days while at 3D shoots, but I have to look at the big picture-still having a fantastic day with the kids out shooting.  

When I make a terrible shot, it can really get to me and affect my confidence.  If I don't watch it, the next few targets could be bad as well.  It definitely helps me to slow down, go through my routine, and visualize the arrow hitting where you want.   Remember that you are out there having fun, and don't take yourself to seriously.

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments by all. It does ease the sting a bit. I can just relax and have fun if I am at least shooting o.k. but today was a train wreck. The comments about just getting to anchor are really at the core of the problem. Had I just concentrated on that one aspect of the shot I probably would have been a lot better off. The good news is that this was a kick in the butt to make some changes and admitting that I have some work to do.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »
IMO, a process or well defined shot sequence could help.

Mine changes from time to time to address issues as they develop. I have explicit checks for the area that I think need the most attention.

I can still fail to do one or more steps correctly and miss but they all get done and there's a good chance that I'll know where I messed up...and I don't seem to mess up as bad.

I can't release before I anchor because I don't even aim until after I'm anchored.

In fact I don't aim until after I'm anchored and insured string shoulder "rotation" and "back tension"

Only when I'm drawn and anchored to my satisfaction do I begin "aiming".

Once I start aiming the stage is set for "expansion" and release.

Shooting fast is ok but if I don't get each of those steps done somehow, I'm almost certainly going to miss anyway. LOL

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
Yeah, but first is first (always work from the positive...).
I agree with Chuck, we probably really can't beat the arrow flinging devices. Good advice here and bad days happen. Take the positive (somehow, I admit) and move on.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
I typically shoot with my kids.  This helps because if I am shooting poorly I need to maintain my composure and show to them how to handle bad days.  You may not have kids, but perhaps there other folks who you could shoot with and be an example to.  

I often find that when I focus on how I am composing my "total self" (my reaction, attitude, etc....) after a few shots I start having fun again.  My shooting may not turn around (but sometimes does), but I at least start enjoying the day more.

Bad days happen.  It's how you approach them that matters.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Happened to me this summer. I shot a 257 1 day very next day was under 200 it just happens i think
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
I guess the mental part of shooting is as hard as anything else but I attempt maintain composure by focusing completely on what I'm doing at the moment.

That's another way that having some sort of shot process helps me. It gives me something concrete to think about right now...not the last shot or even where this arrow will go but only what I need to be doing right now.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Check out the web site called "Ten Zone". It really helped me. Target shooting in the back yard, shooting at the archery club or shooting at a game animal. As far as haveing a bad day goes, everyone has those. I asked a guy at work if he has ever had a bad day as he is the best tool&die maker in the shop. He said "heck, I've had bad weeks". No matter how good you are or how long you been doing something, prepare to be humbled.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by mgf:
IMO, a process or well defined shot sequence could help.

Mine changes from time to time to address issues as they develop. I have explicit checks for the area that I think need the most attention.

I can still fail to do one or more steps correctly and miss but they all get done and there's a good chance that I'll know where I messed up...and I don't seem to mess up as bad.

My kids shoot 3P air rifle... I took the coaching class and was amazed of how much similiarity there is between it and the bow- It is 30% physical and technique, and 75% mental IMHO!!! I know there is an extra 5% in there... I put that towards the subconscious! A pre shot routine is paramount- it gives our minds something to do and stay out of the way of the subconscious... That is what instinctive shooting is, using that supercomputer between our ears to calculate everything...

I try not to force shots but let shots happen.. With a preshot routine, I address the target, pick a spot...draw the bow... hold till it feels right... and let it go!!!

When I have problems... I go to blind baleing to work them out...

Now if I had more time to dedicate and get serious about it, my groups would improve   :knothead:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©