3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bean Boots  (Read 717 times)

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bean Boots
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
Need some advice from you Bean Boots owners.  Considering ordering a pair of the regular or hunter Bean boots , but insure of the sizing.  I've heard many different things about their sizing an wanted some first hand advice.  Should I order my normal size of a 9-10 or a size smaller ?              Thanks. AJ

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bean Boots
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
Have 3 pairs.  How thick are the socks and how tight do you like your boots?
Mine are about the size I would order other boots, and I wear thicker wool socks.  Used on relatively flat ground, they are waterproof and quiet.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
Mine are the same size as my other footwear, 8 1/2. I wear them either with just white cotton tube socks, smart wool socks or in real cold(for us) a combo of both.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I'm a size 11 1/2-12 and I buy 11s and they are perfect.  

I hunt in Schnees more than my Bean boots but I have a couple pair of Beans that I'm in constantly.

Awesome boots!!!!!!
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm going to be wearing these for early season warm weather hunting. So lightweight wool socks.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
they run big--designed for 2 pr heavy socks--
call them when ordering-the operators are very knowledgeable-

-great boots for the northeast uplands!!
Mike

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
They are a little big. I wear a 9 1/2 in my regular boots and have found a size 9 with wool socks works for me in the bean boots.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
I got mine a size big because I use a generic orthotic insole and HEAVY socks... I use the "superfeet" insoles in all rubber soled boots to give me better support in the insole because most rubber soled boots have none!!!

Those and a pair of LaCrosse now are actually comfy when walking a couple miles

I will need to send mine in after this season... because I use them so much!!! I just use the Insulating over shoes when it is cold!!! I will throw in some hand warmers when it is really cold!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I had a pair one time for about a week and sent them back because they were really uncomfortable on the arch of my foot. They had absolutely no support in the sole. The build quality was really nice and they took the boots back no questions asked. Sizing seemed to be spot on with other boots I've owned.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Be sure to get the Maine Hunting Shoe version of the boots. They are a bit better than the campus-fashion "bean boot" version.

If you generally need arch support, you will have to pick up some inner soles like the usual drug store kind. I wear mine with the stock inner soles because I like to feel the ground when I am still hunting.

Pervious posts about them being made for heavy socks are true.

You can't go wrong with the Maine Hunting Shoe. I am wearing my third pair in the 12" height. LL Bean repaired the other two pair several times until they were completely shot.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I love'em, and sizes run pretty true.

I bought the short camp boots 40 years ago and had bottoms replaced once.  They're tough as nails, very comfortable to me, and first class customer service like the folks at Black Widow.

Lon Scott

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
Back when I ordered my first pair in 1982 I traced my foot and sent it to them. This was standard practice for me after that. Also told them what sock I would be using. Had 8 pairs since then but have had them refurbish a few times but still have the original pair of 16 inch and as good as new.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Level ground, great. Hilly muddy ground, not so great.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I have had 2 pair for years, great boots, but very poor arch support if you wear orthodics like I do.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
Be sure to get the Maine Hunting Shoe version of the boots. They are a bit better than the campus-fashion "bean boot" version.
They are more than a bit better, they are dead quiet in the woods in comparison to all other footwear I've tried.

I have very low volume, size 11 feet. I bought 11 ½ on Bean's advice about accommodating thick socks and then inserted a good quality footbed. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably buy the 11.

They're great for relatively easy terrain, but they've scared me on rain-slicked slopes and in logging slash. I know there are folks who use them for elk hunting. I can only imagine the miles they've put in building up their ankles in order to compensate for the flexibility of these boots.

These are NOT cold-weather boots unless you have a huge thickness of wool wrapping your feet.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
I wear 11.5 but have the boot in a 11 and still wear a heavy wool sick and liner. I have high arches and they don't  have enough support but that's easy to change out. I use the Meindel cork inserts and live my boots for early season.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
don't forget the LL bean outlet store you get these 1/2 the price sometimes if its off season.
"Us vs Them"

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
They are ok to wear around the cabin but they are not much in leaves and wet grass. Assbusters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Got them in today.  Ended up with the Maine Hunting Boot in a size down from what I normally wear and it was the right call for sure.  To my surprise they came with what appears and feels to be decent insoles.  I've wore them around the house and like them so far.  Not sure how the tread will do climbing the WV hills, but I'm very pleased with the craftsmanship.  

I have a pair of insulted Schnees Hunter II boots I wear in cold weather with rough tread and I love them.  However I'm very disappointed with Schnees in that their boots are not entirely made in the USA.  They are SEWN in the US.  If you lift the insole up you clearly see, MADE IN CHINA!  What a shame.  Its the fact the Schnees tries to promote their boots as made in USA and sell them for a USA price that really sticks in my crawl.  I'll be dealing with Bean boots from now on.  God Bless the USA

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Bean boots are pretty awesome, got a pair on the recommendation of a good friend- it was a great purchase.

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©