3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reflections on traditional bowhunting: it's not about the bow  (Read 725 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Reflections on traditional bowhunting: it's not about the bow
« on: September 22, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
This morning I had a great sit and I had sometime to reflect while I watched the woods wake up. I was wondering about why I enjoy traditional archery and reflecting on just how much I truly love being in the woods.

Why traditional?
This question has been asked a thousand times on here and in archery clubs throughout the country. For each person I would imagine it's a little different. I had always wondered why exactly I liked traditional archery. I never could come up with a good answer, until this morning.

I'm not old by any means, I just turned 25, but I've always felt like I was an old soul. I have old fashioned values of hard work and respect. I have a deep appreciation for craftspeople and would gladly pay good money for their works of art. Shoot even the way I dated girls was considered old fashioned. So I guess it only came natural that when I started bowhunting at 16 that I would choose a traditional bow. It just felt right to me and I didn't even consider any other option.

So as I sat there this morning thinking about all this I realized that it's not so much hunting with a traditional bow that I enjoy. It's each individual aspect that I enjoy. Making arrows, building bows, sharpening broadheads, scouting, trail cameras, making bow strings, shooting, tuning bows...everything that goes into making a hunt possible is what I enjoy. It's the whole process that's fun and the more involved in that process I can be the more fun I have. You can only have that kind of fun with a traditional bow and even more so with a primitive bow.

And that's when I realized traditional archery and bowhunting are about taking extra steps. Adding new elements that make the whole activity more enjoyable. Bowhunters learn more about deer activity than gun hunters because we spend more time watching them. We see deer and other critters do things that a gun hunter might not see in a lifetime of hunting. It's those types of encounters that make hunting fun even when we don't punch a tag.

Back to this morning...
A few fawns followed by a few does fed toward me. My heart began it's usual accelerated rhythm and pumped adrenaline through my body. The big old doe without any fawns that I have been after was in the group. She split off from the main group, which was feeding 10 yards in front of me. She started to work her way to my left and stopped giving me a broadside shot but there was a sapling right over her vitals. She kept easing to my left when I realized she was trying to circle down wind of me. She stopped and stomped. With a snort her and the other does trotted out of sight. I was bummed but really happy. It was good to have another close encounter and another lesson learned.

Enjoy the moment and enjoy the process. Lessons learned in the woods.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Reflections on traditional bowhunting: it's not about the bow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Well said, well heard.  I hear ya on the old souls thing especially.  32 y/o here.  We're kindred spirits.  Hail the wild hunt!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Bisch

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Cool encounter  :)

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Well said!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Very well said! Thanks for sharing that.   :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
I never doubt the effectiveness of a traditional bow in a hunting scenario, only my own shooting ability.  This forum is filled with examples and harvest threads proving that the trad bow is an ample weapon for all the game we hunt.  Just wish I could dedicate more time to shooting it and hunt with it full time.  There's a calm-ness that comes over your soul when carrying the stick bow.
>>>--------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Yep, I feel like you.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  You just know how to say it!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I'm 11 years older than you but your post reminds me a lot of the way I felt when I was your age.  You seem to "get it".  I'm glad there are at least a few "Millennials" out there like you.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
Very well said. It's quite refreshing to hear a young man like yourself expressing the same feelings as someone more than twice your age, myself I mean. Just proves what most of us already thought, there are lots of good young folks following in our footsteps. I know several fine young men who share those same values. I'd be proud to share a campfire with any of you fellas.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:    
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
The younger generation of Bowhunters is in good hands!  I love your attitude and outlook on bowhunting as well as life in general.  Would love to share a camp with you someday!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
Sometimes I am concerned about the future of traditional bow hunting with all the technology out there today......then I read or talk to a young person like yourself and I feel like we are in good shape.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Agree with all others. Very well said and that is what this place and hunting is all about for a lot of us. Good stuff Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you...only 23 but all it took was one kill with the training wheels to realize they needed to come off. I've been shooting traditional since I could walk, since my dad has been shooting trad-only since the 80's, but it wasn't until 2 years ago that I picked up the trad gear full time. Traded my compound for a 12 gauge and an old Marlin .22 and it's safe to say that poor guy got the bad end of the deal  :D

Nothing rings more true than everything you've said. Put down a gun and pick up a bow - and you'll learn more in one season than you have in your life. Put down the compound and pick up a stickbow? Your brain might explode from all the new info (and not to mention awesome encounters).

Traditional archery has taught me that the hunt is 70% preparation 30% execution. If you put the time in and practice, tune, practice some more, then practice more on top of that, executing on a game animal is the easy part (easier said than done eh haha).

Always love seeing other young guys using trad gear, we're few and far between.

Happy Hunting

Alex
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Well said, a true bulls eye    :thumbsup:

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
I will agree.  I also just turned 25.  I know why I chose traditional archery.  My uncle built longbows when I was younger and he built me one.  I spent many days walking around shooting that bow.  From 9-22, i never came in contact with a trad bow.  I shot compounds and was not pleased with it.  I could not shoot for a month, pick up the bow and in a matter of a few shots be hitting a kill shot at 50+ yards.  

Sure I enjoyed shooting them a little, but there wasn't much challenge.  I got in contact with my uncle and we bought a bingham kit and built my longbow.  Every since then, I have only hunted with trad equipment.  

I still can't take a month off and hit where i want. haha.  

I have had a few opportunities that didn't turn into success because of using trad equipment, but once again, its the adventure, not the kill.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
I a young fella too. I agree with you guys, using the stick and string provides a more complete and fulfilling experience. Good post.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Scott, Alex & Daniel, I am 67 yrs old and I know we are more like brothers, values and doin it your way is more important than "success". Nature and the journey is the payoff. You sound like great young men....

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I feel that I am the same way "old soul" even though I am a young 29 years of age.  I look at people my age and the work ethic and appreciation is just not there.  Everyone now days wants a piece of the pie but don't want to help pick the berries to make it.  Well said.   :thumbsup:
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Awesome thread.  I will be 30 in a few weeks and know exactly what you mean by "old soul"!  This kinda thread is one of the reason I love trad gang!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©