3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pronghorn hunting from a tripod or blind?  (Read 332 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Pronghorn hunting from a tripod or blind?
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I'm considering an antelope hunt next September. I haven't decided which state, although Wyoming is high on my list. I plan to hunt public land and wanted to use a tripod. Problem is that many states require the daily removal of stands. That said, cabelas sells the Millennium T-100 ultralight tripod. It's 36 lbs, but is only 8' tall. Is this too low for pronghorns? I would think you would need to be at least 10' to 12' up to avoid detection. The larger tripods would be too heavy to lug in and out. I don't even know if this ultralight would be too cumbersome to carry in and out given the typical distances I would be expected to walk in from.

I also have a double bull blind to use as well, but I would prefer to use a tripod if I'm able to.

What are your thoughts on these techiques? Pros/cons to each setup?

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pronghorn hunting from a tripod or blind?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I have hunted antelope from wind mills in Wyoming and if you set your tripod up with something else around it that might work, otherwise 8' seems a bit too low ... I have also used ground blinds and that works very well. Some have just been dug out pits with sage brush piled around and some have been commercial blinds like double bull.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Dennis,
I'm going to be watching this topic because an Antelope hunt is on my list.
I might have ti invite myself along.....tee hee.....
Irv Eichorst

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Antelope don't look up. I sat on this make shift platform 12' high, wore a white jacket and had "goats" water 10 yds from me. I stood up, waved my arms, took some pics...nothing.

We left this platform up 3 weeks. One week prior to opening day and 2 weeks after. Antelope hunting is a fun time, pray for hot weather. Whether your in a pop up blind or tripod type stand...the sun will beat on you...   :laughing:

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
I don't know about antelope but I have 2 light weight aluminum 7 ft. tri-pods I use for public land whitetail hunting. I carried one in about a mile and a quarter earlier this week. I love the shorter tri-pods for hunting in areas void of larger trees. The height or lack there of has never been a problem for me. Can't beat the shot angle. My stands(Strong Built) are no longer made but I will be checking my local Cabela's for the stands you mentioned.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©