3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why do you shoot a light bow?  (Read 550 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
why do you shoot a light bow?
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
I came to the realization that the bows I tend to like are small riser light bows. Like longbows, 50's recurves and the like.

These bows are generally less forgiving because less mass/weight.

Are there any advantages to them?

Why do you choose to shoot them despite being less forgiving?

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: why do you shoot a light bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
They feel better in my hand. R/D's or hybrids work for me.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
So you mean light as in Lighter Mass weight?

I prefer light bows. I think they feel like toys until I shoot them. In a  way they are.

I don't feel they are less forgiving but I do notice the weight of a  bulky recurve after a  mile or two walk.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
I like to hunt the backcountry and every ounce counts. Plus when you add a quiver full of arrows they feel just right!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
I DO feel they are harder to shoot.  So I shoot them from time to time when working on form.  I figure if I can shoot them..then I can shoot my heavier mass weight bows better.   I feel that I higher mass weight bow is easier to shoot accurately.  This is why Black Widow MA series and similar bows are so popular. I'm currently shooting my Habu recurve.  It has a large riser and is made of heavy Ebony wood.  honestly, I wish there was a recurve out there that weighed as much as a compound.  Within reason...the more mass weight the better for me.  I think it is pretty easy to understand why.  When you get to full draw...that arrow is going to go exactly where it is pointed.  The only thing that can stop it from going exactly where it is pointed is shooter input.  Many times there will be a bad release...or a slight flinch at the shot etc.  With a heavier mass weight bow it is harder to influence it due to the fact that it takes more effort to move it.  This results in tighter groups for me.  I mostly hunt whitetails...and I'm not hiking in miles and miles like elk or moose hunters.  So I will take the heavy mass weight bows every time due to my increased accuracy.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
I agree w/ Jon,
I've been shooting a all curly maple recurve of late, which is quite light weight in comparison to other riser woods. I recently been shooting a Elk antler riser Zipper that's 3x the mass weight of the maple bow and man I can really shoot that thing.I can shoot both equally well but the maple bow takes a bit more effort to keep my bow arm on target.

I also have a all bamboo Hill style longbow that's super sweet for what it is but again it takes more effort in keeping my bow arm on target till the arrow hits.

I believe if one is a push/pull style of shooter(which I'm not), they should shoot the lighter mass weight bows well.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
To answer your questiton as to my own preference I have only experienced a few recurves and two long bows but I prefer the lighter long bow for its draw cycle. To me it feels like less wear and tear on my arm when I draw and I find im able to shoot for longer periods and hold at draw longer (compensating for the added effort to aim). It just so happens that in my case that long bows are lighter but my preference has nothing to do with the mass weight. Theres other reasons such as sound, looks, grip, etc that I like them but I know there are curves that offer all these same things, it just so happens that I find a mild R/D LB has everything im looking for. I use a bow quiver and I also find that helps with adding a little mass to the bow, but again its a preference that is coincidental and has little to do with weight.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
I like a light mass weight bow. Bows have to be carried, some recurves I've picked up feel like boat anchors, to me a five lb. bow is unforgiving.
I'm shooting a Wild Horse Creek Mariah, 54", very forgiving of my shooting flaws.

Offline KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I like light mass, light draw bows.  Grew up with them, more or less.  Easier to carry, easier to manipulate in brushy areas.  Never thought of them as less forgiving.

Light draw and light mass both mean I can shoot more arrows in a given day roving with less overall stress and strain, and still get the job done when hunting.

Now that I make my own, I build them short and light:

Top -- 44" Asian Deflex weighs 12 oz.
Bottom -- 48" Scythian weighs 11 oz

[/url] [/IMG]
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
I prefer heavier bows. Really, the difference between a bow that is considered heavy or light is no more than 2 lbs. Honestly just comes down to what you like. The weight arguments are holdovers from the millitary rifle debates...M1 Garand or M14 with 200 rounds of ammo was something like 15 lbs heavier than the AR15 platform w/ammo. That makes a big difference when you are fighting a war and living outside for months at a time.

Also, with hunting rifles there is a world of difference between a .300 mag walnut stock that weighs 12 pounds and a 7mm 08 synthetic that weighs 7 lbs when your sheep hunting in the mountains.

This is not the case with bowhunting. Like I said, we're talking a difference of 1 1/2 lbs vs 3 lbs. Buy the one you like  :)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Good point.  Either way it boils down to personal preference.  Shoot what you are confident in because confidence trumps just about everything when in the woods.  Good luck guys!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I like smaller risers, and that usually translates into physically lighter bows.  Can get too light though. I usually go to a heavier riser wood to compensate.  My three-piece ACS TDs are about the perfect combination of light but sufficient riser/overall weight.  Oh, and they're pretty fast and stable as well.    :goldtooth:

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I'm not sure it's the actual physical weight that's the problem or actual flex in a light riser..??? Flex will scrub some accuracy but definately will kill speed. Good "bow-arm" makes up for lack of mass weight. I prefer BOTH...LOL
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
My bows are all around 50# + or -2 or 3#'s. With the 3 pc bows being the heaviest in the hand. I have found that you must have good form and be able to control your movement upon the recoil of the bow. I do a lot of blank, blind bale practice to nail down the form, and it shows when practicing. Now all I have to do is stalk up to something I want too shoot.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Very interesting topic here. I like lite bows,easy to carry all day. My Bear TD is heaviest trad bow I hunt with. With quiver of arrows it is my limit.
Yes light bows can be a challenge shooting for one reason or another. Bow arm is my issue, really have to make sure it stays in place.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
Like said lighter weight easier to tote all day.

I don't shoot them near as well as heavier mass bows so I don't shoot them.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
The main reason I shoot them is simply because I have them...recently, though, I learned another reason...I developed bursitis in my left shoulder and although I shoot both right handed and left handed I could not produce the power to draw even a very light draw weight bow left handed...I could produce it right handed but I could not lift a bow up to shooting height that weighed more than about 20 ounces...so while the bursitis was in the process of getting better I could at least maintain some conditioning level by shooting my lighter mass bows...and now for the big factor in this whole equation for me...you only need a "forgiving" bow when you mess up on your form...I will repeat that because it is so important...you only need a "forgiving" bow when you mess up on your form...I spend a lot more time working on form than I do worrying about what I should not be able to  shoot...I am including a picture of a bow that ought to be, and can be, difficult to shoot...it started life as a blank and it is still a work in progress after over 3 years mainly because I am a reluctant woodworker at best and it shoots fine for me the way it is...that bow only weighs 19 ounces...the grip throat is still very wide which makes the bow very susceptible to torquing...the shelves are dual which means nowhere near cut to centreshot, making it very spine sensitive...and were it required I would sell my other 18 bows, hunt with that one, and never look back

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Here is another picture of the bow as it looks right now...one thing I forgot to mention is that the arrow contacts the shelf on both sides pretty much at the front of the shelf, nowhere near the pivot point...ask any bowyer and they will tell you that alone makes a bow "unforgiving"

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Huh.....I find my Hill style bows are the lightest and yet the most forgiving bows to shoot once you know how to shoot them properly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©