3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Treestand Fall  (Read 859 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Treestand Fall
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
By posting this thread maybe we can get one more guy or gal to tie in "all" the time.

My hunting buddy is big, strong, fit and has been at this a very long time.  That's all well and good but complacency happens.

Sunday morning he went in to hang a new stand.  He noticed that the tree he chose had a few very old tree steps left in it about 15 feet up.  He pegged his way up to the old step and gave it a kick to snap it off.  Not high enough for a good angle he put one more peg in to get higher.  He was at a "V" in the tree so he wasn't able to get his lineman belt around the tree.  

From there everything happened pretty quick.  He's not sure whether he stepped on an old step or his new peg but down he went.  He had one leg up in a "front kick" position and the other extended straight.  That leg is what hit the ground first.  He ended up rolling backwards a few feet after he hit.  

The first thing he did was a quick body check.  Everything seemed fine but his right ankle. He tried to stand up but the ankle didn't seem or sound right when he put some pressure on it.

Short story.......He didn't fly well but landed pretty good.  His head, back, neck and arms are fine.  His right ankle is also fine, but his heel bone is completely shattered.  Not good.  From here it's a waiting game.  CAT scan scheduled for today and most likely surgery.  Bottom line is he's out of commission for quite awhile.  

I know tying in is a hassle.  I know life lines involve more money and time.  I know we all climbed trees as kids.  I also know this happens almost every year to someone we know.  Be careful, take the extra time and spend the extra few bucks to be safe!      :thumbsup:

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Treestand Fall
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Glad he's mostly ok. Could have been ALOT worse!!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Tim, this is such a great reminder. I was "lucky" as well, a few years ago and didn't end up injured worse than I did when I fell. My rule now is to be attached at all times once a foot goes off the ground.

Take it from someone who has "been there, done that", it happens quicker than you can imagine!

I took time to talk treestand safety to my son after you sent me the text last night. He isn't hunting from treestands yet, but it won't be long.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
I started using life lines this year for Amy.  And myself and Timmy.  I absolutely love the concept.  I tie in with a Ropeman Descender before I even step foot on a step.  I picked up a bunch of tree rope from a couple tree guys I know.  Most tree guys have extra rope they don't use any more.  I was able to pick up 200 feet for a thank you.  8 life lines!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up, Tim.  It doesn't always happen to the other guy.

Last year we gave away several of the harnesses that come with a new stand.  They aren't the nicest harness, but very functional and do the job.  I have a few more if anybody needs one.  All I ask is shipping cost.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Two of my buddies are Tree Surgeons.  They climb for a living and the very thought of hanging a tree stand or sitting in one without a belt on scares the hell out of them!  These are guys that live in trees!!!  

My one tree buddy said he'd rather fall from 90 ft than 20 ft.  At least at 90 ft he knows what he's in for.  Kind of sick...but I get his point.

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
The mere thought of even leaving the ground without some form of fall restraint scares the hell outta me!!!!! Hook up before you go up.....
Don't rush! Impatience will kill your greatest potential. Walter M. Smith

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax
48# Bear Grizzly (late 70's)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Oh man, these threads give me chills when I see them. They flash me right back to a call I got from a buddy three years ago who had just fallen. After rushing to him and having the STAT flight helicopter come to get him please guys be safe.

Sorry about your buddy Tim I will be praying for him.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Either "Hook up" or stay put...on the ground.

Falls can be deadly but can also result in lifelong injuries that you never recover from.

My fall wasn't from a tree stand, in fact it was inside my home.

I did something silly, I tried to step over a kid gate at about 2:30 in the morning. One foot caught on the gate and I fell severing the nerve in my neck that operates the diaphragm on my left side.

It has changed the way I do things.

Be safe, at all times but especially if you're gonna climb trees.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your friend Tim, I hope in time he completely recovers.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Glad there was no more injury than that.  So, what do you guys use for climbing and where do you get it?

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
Been there. One accident will make you think it's not such a pain to mess with....If you live through it. Luckily, I did.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
LB_hntr   Here on trad gang had a fantastic video on how to go up and down a tree and attach a life line.  Hopefully someone can attach the link or he will chime in.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks Tim for the reminder. Something we should all keep on our minds everyday. I'll mostly a ground hunter now but I'm going to have to look into the lifelines.
Thanks again
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
Hey Tim.  Tell Guy the whole Cool Springs Gang wishes him a fast recovery.  I will not get into a tree without my Seat of the Pants hooked up.  Allen is our tree stand diving champion.  No fun.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
I feel very bad for your friend. I hope the prognosis is as positive as can be. Sometimes, you cant control what happens, so a backup plan is required.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Oh boy.  Scary.  Good he will recover.

I do not think I am suppose to post other sites- but there is a story on another popular bow site of a fellow dying this year- He was tied in with a rope around his waist.  His boys found him hanging by it. Deceased.

Be careful
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Sad story and preventable.  Glad it was 'just' a heel.  Best to be tied in to the tree 100% of the time and with a a cell phone in a pocket easy to reach and a whistle available also.  Make sure you tie in with a PURPOSE built harness, home brew stuff can get you killed or injured, whether through falling, asphyxia or mechanical injury, same danger as hitting the ground.  Be safe.  Gravity likes me too much I stay on the ground, it might get lonely  :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Hope your friend heals well.

That's a good case for two lineman's belts. Fasten the second one above the V and disconnect the first one and proceed up.

My son broke his heel this summer and it was over 12 weeks in a boot and crutches and he didn't even need surgery.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
I'm scared of heights and I'm claustrophobic... there I said it.
When I used to climb trees, I would'nt leave the ground with out my safety harness on. This came in very handy a few years ago when I had a close call.
My bad, sorry for your buds mis-fortune.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©