3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on grips  (Read 250 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on grips
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
So after shooting a bunch of bows the other day (Thanks again cch!) with all sorts of grips I noticed that my hand wasn't 'stuck like velcro' to the handle without a leather wrap. I have always been a fan of leather wraps. But today I realized that even with a lower wrist grip that was unwrapped my hand slid to the same spot each time as I drew. I have noticed with my hill bow that my buckskin wrap grabs my hand and I have to be careful not to 'preload' torque onto the grip with the leather grabbing onto my hand. So now I am kind of thinking that no leather would actually help locate your grip and not torque the bow as much.

Do any of you have thoughts on this?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Thoughts on grips
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I don't grip my bow tightly.  I let the grip fit into my hand as I draw, and then just tighten my grip enough/close my fingers around it to keep the bow from springing out of my hand when I shoot.  Doesn't really matter whether I have leather on the grip or not.

I don't particularly like high wrist grips, but don't have any trouble changing from one to  another, or from leather to no leather, checkered, etc. All that being said, I prefer smooth leather to rough side out/suede for my bows that have leather grips.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
I agree. . kinda.  My current bow system (interchangeable longbow / recurve 3 piece) has a shelf just barely above my hand.  When I wear gloves to shoot, as in fall weather hunting, the glove slides WAY in there and my hand wraps over the shelf a tad.  I don't like that at all.  I feel more in control with a bit of tape on the throat of the grip to keep me from sliding.
ChuckC

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
I have changed to no wraps on the bows. Used to put tennis wrap on all the bows, just seems to torque less without it. Am still worried the wedding ring will scuff the finish. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I curl my pinky and ring finger into my palm and rest the lower knuckle on the riser. Eichler and Asbell look to do the same thing. For me it places my hand in the center of all the bow's risers I've shot to date. No matter what the grip's material is. If the pressure point on your bow hand isn't in the center of the bow, you'll always have shooting consistency problems.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
I have a very loose high grip.  I use one finger just to keep the bow from falling after the shot.

Don't like checkering or leather.  Just a bit of paste wax occasionally.

Reduces torque.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©