3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand safety  (Read 302 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand safety
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
So I have never done this right most of the time wearing no safety belt at all. Dumb I know. Ok. But I'm getting older 61 and I'm ready to change all that and do things right. I use lock On style stands. So what do I need to be tied off to the tree at all times?

Thanks for the help
Tom
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand safety
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
HSS Harness worked for me. Do a web search and you will find more info about this great product.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/gorilla-gtac-safety-harness-mens-120300lbs-infinity-p-1882551.html

Use the lineman's belt around the tree when climbing and once in the stand convert to the back tether.
I have and have used others that came with various stands, but this one is much easier to put on in the darkness or can be worn while walking into the woods.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Thanks.

Founds this on youtube

Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Safe Tree Hunt makes great lanyards, tethers and long ropes and has some good video.

http://safetreehunt.com/

I've been using Summit or a lightweight HSS harness for several years.  Both work well, along with several others.  Just get a good one.  The lineman's belt is crucial for climbing and hanging the stand.  If you leave your stand up, drop a long lanyard that goes from above the stand to the ground.  You'll hook up before you climb and stay hooked until you get back down.

There was a great video posted recently showing how one guy goes up and down.  I'll see if I can find it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Just bought an HSS lightweight harness on sale for $50 at Cabelas, reg. $110. Comes with a free $25 climbing belt.
Tom

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
Another HSS fan here.
SWA Spyder

Offline AKP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
Lots of good harnesses out there.  I use a rope with a sliding section attached with a prussic knot.  You attach at the ground and stay attached until you leave.  Been doing this for several years and won't hunt from a tree any other way.  

As mentioned above, the HSS lightweight is excellent.  I like a smaller harness that I can wear under a jacket or other clothing.
LH Martin Hunter 45#@28
LH Chek-mate Hunter II 44#@28
LH Maddog Recurve 45#@28
LH Black Widow PCH 46#@28

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
I have been using a prusik knot lineman belt for the youth hunt while my son uses my custom lineman belt with the ascender. I can honestly say the prusik knot is such a pain in the but compared to a lineman belt with an ascender! the whole time i missed my one handed operation with the ascender and cussed at that prusik knot the whole time. I will never use a prusik knot lineman belt again. Granted they are the best "commercial bought" lineman belts, but nothing link the simplicity and speed of the ascender.
  If you are gonna climb trees with a lineman belt the ascender is the best way to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©