3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Low tech flashlight outshines?  (Read 257 times)

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Low tech flashlight outshines?
« on: September 23, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Last year I went out to help a buddy track a deer. We were in a cut bean field with a couple of inches of snow. 10 degrees w 30 plus mph constant wind. My redline led light threw out a beam about a million times brighter than his old bulb light. Only when we discovered why he was finding blood and I wasn't did we realize that in my LEDs beam the blood appeared black--just like all those tiny bits of bean leaves. His light shown the blood red. I am hanging my led up and going back to the stream light bulb light this year. Any of your takes on this would be appreciated. Kind of ironic-- like even the flashlight wants to be trad.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Low tech flashlight outshines?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I found that sometimes, I see red dots while using the LED light.  Not blood , but dots in my vision. I carry a LED light, and use it a lot, but frankly, I also think that the old fashioned 3 cell Brinkman or Maglight worked best for me on blood trails.  With that, I could follow trails my dog prolly couldn't.  

ChuckC

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I have problems seeing a blood trail with the bright white LED's I need the "yellower" light like you are talking about.
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Just put a little piece of yellow cellophane over your white LED lights.  Or paint a bit of varnish over the lens.  Unless you just love spending money...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
There was a post that covered this pretty well about a year ago and I'm a LED convert.  I think the difference will be in the color/tint of the emitter and I believe the consensus was that the neutral/natural is superior to the cool white option....don't know which you've got.  One is a yellower tint and the other more bluish.  Short of color blindness, I didn't realize how much perception of color is an individual thing until I blood trailed with different folks!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the input folks. Ken h I think I'll get a butterscotch candy and try the wrapper trick-- good idea and worth a try.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
A old school lantern works pretty good. But you have to go back to truck to get it.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©