3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: East winds and Whitetails ????????  (Read 458 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
East winds and Whitetails ????????
« on: September 23, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
I've been scouting a new farm to hunt. Considering access, bedding and feeding areas, it begs to be hunted with the wind coming from the East.

Tell me your experience with hunting Whitetail with such a wind.  Deer movement, activity and so on.

Much appreciated, Skychief.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: East winds and Whitetails ????????
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
For me in south west Wisconsin, during hunting season an east wind is tough.  A south east wind can be real good during the chase phase.  Breeze from east in November can mean flat grey skies and cold, deer movement  is minimal.  When the breeze turns to wind, it means a cold front, usually by me that also means snow or freezing rain.  Wind from the east kinda sucks.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
I agree with Bob B. but Wisconsin could little different due to different temperate zone and the great lakes?

Does not seem like a true east wind happens that much?  Most weather comes from W, N, SW, NW around here so if you can only hunt a E wind seems limited IMO.

I believe in moon phase and hunting when moon is above horizon more than wind direction.  Since you brought it up I will take note of E wind and animal movements this year.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
I've killed several of my biggest bow bucks including a  B/C buck on east winds and my son killed one of his B/C  bucks too but it works for our spots. We tend to get great deer movement on east winds consistently cant say what will work in your area though I'm sure not going to stay home and sit on the couch just because it's a east wind.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
In WI it seemed as Bud says. When I was in Missouri, I saw deer every single time i sat an east wind.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Here in MO we typically get an east wind right after a front moves through which can often create some pretty good deer movement.  Just the other day I had about a 135 10-pointer come by at 8:30 in the morning... with an East wind!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
We used to dread east winds in Wisconsin but pray for them now that I'm hunting in Nebraska. That said, if you could help spread the word that east winds are terrible and everyone should stay out of the woods when they're blowing, I'd greatly appreciate it.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »
Where I'm at, east is great.  I like a good north/north west, but the farm I hunt mostly begs for an east.  A couple years ago my brother and I doubled on nice bucks during the rut because it put our hunting area on the downwind side with fields as a backer.  We saw a ton of action that morning.  I shot my 6x5 thirty minutes before he shot an 8 and we were only about 300 yards apart.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
how can a wind direction be bad except in the context of a particular stand?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
North south east or west, I dont think it makes a difference what direction it is blowing as long as it is good for that spot. I have spots I only hunt with a east wind because its best for my stand and approach. I will not go into my best spot with a east wind because the deer are generally coming from the west and you might just as well wear a neon sign and have a marching band with you. I dont hunt with the wind to my back or go into a area that way. I will hunt a cross wind if I can pull it off, a few degrees can make or break a spot. You have to know your area. .02
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
how can a wind direction be bad except in the context of a particular stand?
I agree. On the 1200 acres I hunt near home,  I have spots selected for any variety of wind.

I do agree though,  that an East wind is part of a changing weather pattern.  

One of the best spots on our lease requires an East wind, but getting in it before the rain starts is the challenge.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
One of my best spots requires and east wind to hunt. It's a ridge top bedding area and I only have access to the western edge. Not only do I need an east wind to hung it, it drives all the bucks to the west edge to scent check the bedding area. Taken 8 nice mature bucks from there in 6 years. The fact that it only gets hunted during a rare east wind, days a lot about how good the spot is. I'm not sure if the wind direction plays a role other than its ideal for this location.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
East wind is a problem for both properties I hunt in IN. Now they are small tracts, both  ~15 acres so that makes it tough to adjust for the wind direction.
SWA Spyder

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Papaw used to tell us "Wind from the East, fishing and hunting the least" There is something to it around here. I really think the wind rarely comes from that direction and the wildlife patterns aren't oriented around that wind and they may be hesitant to move around.     :dunno:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Here on the Gulf Coast an east wind will most often see deer hanging tight and not moving as much..  Been observing that pattern for 50 years.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
That stand is great for a back-up, when the wind is right for it and wrong for your primary locations.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
It usually means rain for my area.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Wabasis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
I've shot my 2 largest bucks hunting an east wind. We set stands for east winds as well as other wind directions. Here in Michigan it seems like we get quite a few hunting days with east winds.Some guys will say I'm not going out tonight, I don't have any stands set for an east wind. I think that they are missing out on some good action. I like east winds once in a while because it gives you opportunities to hunt those good locations that just don't work with the wind blowing from other directions.    Denny

Offline 15andin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
I believe in an East wind more than any other wind.  I have shot my best bucks on East winds and have seen my best and most predictable movement on East winds.  It almost always means a front with precipitation is moving in and a lot of times in the fall it means colder air moving in resulting in bucks being on the move earlier or later in the day.  This is especially true during the seeking and chasing phase of the rut.  My stands hung for an East wind are easily my favorites whether they are afternoon or morning sets.

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Yep, just like Rodger said when hunting in Michigan .An east wind is a weather pattern that produces a normally cold wind and rain.
Those days are for catching up on chores!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©