3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wounded deer and bears- let's find them!  (Read 700 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wounded deer and bears- let's find them!
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
I know most of you guys know this but for the sake of those that don't.... Please remember to utilize the power of blood tracking dogs on your difficult blood trails this year. There are so many misconceptions on the use of these dogs but the power of these animals to help you must be seen to be believed in some cases. Many of these dogs can track 20, 30 and even 40 hour old trails and rain has little impact on their ability to find wounded game.

In most every case with a well trained dog, visible blood is not even needed and finding dead animals 1/2 to 1 mile away is a common occurrence.
Finding a local tracker is easy. Many states have organizations that list available trackers by county and you can also go to the web site for United Blood Trackers and click on the "find a tracker" link.  For my fellow Georgia trad hunters you can find a list on GON under "Deer Hunting".
It just breaks my heart every year to read the stories of the guys that lose an animal and just forget to call in a dog for help. No matter how bleak the outlook on a trail, many time these dogs will provide a miracle and save a tremendous resource.

Here is a quick little video of my dog Bear turning a frown upside down when all hope was lost for a gut shot buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUdL0nqTUdEPx4HWQEmjDvFQ&v=vO6UKHbJmlU&feature=player_detailpage

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wounded deer and bears- let's find them!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
It's not legal here in Minnesota to track with dogs!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Awesome, thank you for sharing! I hope to be able to some day use my Drathaar pup to do the same.
Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
That is too bad for the sportsmen of Minnesota but it should change in time. Many states have changed the law in the very recent past as people become educated just to how the dogs really work. Kansas just changed their law. Hopefully it will change everywhere one day. It is good for the resource and good for hunters.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I believe that in Pennsylvania, it is also STILL not legal to use leashed dogs to locate wounded game... don't know what's preventing the PGC to amend the law.

Anyway, Jerry, how did you learn how to train Bear to track?

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
I have had blood dogs for 30 years. I also train water dogs so working with and understanding dogs comes pretty natural to me.

If I were starting from scratch with a blood dog I would get the book "Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer" by John Jeanneney. It really covers it all from getting a pup to most all aspects of training blood dogs.

There really are a couple of different levels of blood dogs out there. The first being a dog that can help you locate a wounded deer or bear within 2-6 hours. These are good dogs for sure. The second level of blood dogs are the miracle workers that trail 20-30 hours later with 0 blood when 20 other deer have crossed the trail. This dog is a product of a skilled trainer.  Both dogs do have a place for sure.
I have a couple of videos on my Youtube channel that might help but the book really is the answer. If I can ever be of assistance to anyone on this subject, PLEASE let me know. Recovering wounded animals and dog training is a very big deal to me.

Good luck

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Robhood23:
Not legal here in WV either. Maybe we can get this changed.

Thanks for the thread!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Deer Search in NY is a free service. I'm licensed in NY and it is amazing to see my dog work a trail. He's not as good as some but I didn't start training until last year at 6 years old. He can still follow a 15 hour old trail with little to no blood for over a thousand yards, without missing a beat.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Good bit of information Skipmaster1... Do you have a contact number for The Catskill Region?... Just in case...    :dunno:  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
It is illegal in ny to take you own dog out and track deer BUT if you are part of the DEERSEARCh team NY allows it.  I have used them before.  Good group of people to work with.  They have to call dec and let them know what is going on etc.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
About how much is the average cost to have someone locally to trail a deer with their dog(s)?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I have been wanting a wire haired teckel for years but they are hard to find. Always a waiting list for a pup with working lines. I would like to get a breeding pair, train and sell the pups.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
About how much is the average cost to have someone locally to trail a deer with their dog(s)?
I really don't think there is an average charge. Some state organization  don't allow tracker to charge and they cover cost with tips provided by the hunters.  This can be a good and bad thing in that if a fellow burns through several hundred dollars in gas and never gets a little help, he is much more prone to stop tracking for people.  Even when folks charge there is almost always a very modest charge of $40.00 to $75.00 (depending on distance) to really just cover expenses for fuel. If you think about it, the tracker spent just as much money on gas as the hunter did. I see trackers in the Georgia network routinely drive 5-6 hour round trips to help hunters.  Helping them out just makes sense.

Sometimes there is controversy with any $ charge by a tracker but I can tell you from experience that a pro tracker has thousands of dollars invested in purchasing, upkeep and training cost to have a dog ready to help folks.  I have never once met a tracker that was in it for the money and they will never break even from a $ standpoint- not even close. Most every one you meet will be doing it for the love of the sport and a genuine passion for helping people and saving a resource.

I try to describe it to people this way... Everyone has seen and felt the heart ache that comes with loosing a big game animal. I see that look on the face of hunters fifty or more times per year when I show up to track. All hope is nearly gone. A couple of hours later I get to see that same sad person with a HUGE grin on their face. They are on top of the world. Now that is a good feeling.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I've hunted with hounds most of my life, and man those little buggers can be miracle workers! Too bad some states outlaw their use. Even if you do not have access to a professional or experienced dog to recover wounded game you can use just about any dog with a little work. A dog with minimal training and experience tends to be alot better than a human lol. If I ever wounded a deer (has yet to happen to me thank goodness) I'd have a hard time not putting a dog on him regardless of where I am.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Robhood23:
Where do you see that in the regulations handbook?

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I was so happy when last year Utah finally made it legal to use dogs to track. Too bad my duchshound past away that year. He had the best nose I ever seen and could find anything.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 03:57:00 AM »
I had a very good dog some years ago and he found me some deer that I would have had a hard time finding otherwise. I would like to replace him but haven't yet. I think a dachshund would fit the bill for us. Seen deer search guys in NY have a passion for these guys back 20+ years ago

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggamefish:
It is illegal in ny to take you own dog out and track deer BUT if you are part of the DEERSEARCh team NY allows it.  I have used them before.  Good group of people to work with.  They have to call dec and let them know what is going on etc.
Anyone can become NY Certified, you don't have to be affiliated with Deer Search. They are a great group though and I reccomend using them.
The only people who can charge for using a tracking dog in NY are licensed hunting guides who are also certified leashed tracking dog handlers. You can always make donations to deer search though.

Mcgroundstalker-

In Central and Eastern NY: For tracking services call (845)-227-5099

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
I already got a pm from Big Ed with an offer to help find a deer I shot a week ago.  It was a little late but I told him I'd be sending out a message right away next time.  Just knowing they are available eases the mind.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Skipmaster is right.  When the guy came to help me out he wouldn't take a donations because we didn't have any luck finding the deer.  I didn't like that, so I went and picked up some doggy treats and a gift certificate and sent it to them.  All the guys that have tracking dogs seem to be hunters also and they understand and are good people.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©