3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Food Plot advice  (Read 232 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Food Plot advice
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
I don't have any experience planting food plots, but may get the opportunity.
Trying to keep deer and turkey on the property.  What should I look into planting?
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Food Plot advice
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Truthfully there are a number of things that you can plant depending on when you want the plot to mature and what you want it to be....  i.e. food source for season or summer early fall stuff.

I dont know where you are other then Butler Co, KS so due to soil differences even within the county, I would suggest you check with your local Bio.  I know there are some general plot packages out there and I suggest them to some of my consultant clients but it is really best if you have your planting tailored to your local soil and growing conditions......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
A guy at work put out 'Throw and Grow' and triple 10 the first of this month and has good germination but he hand tossed everything so its thick in some spots and non existent in others.

I open 8000 sq ft of ground on my place late winter, sprayed round up through the summer twice, disked, added lime, disked. Aug. 29th applied fertilizer per soil test, broadcast 8# winter wheat, roller pressed field, broadcast 4# maximum ultimate, roller pressed again. Excellent germination and hopefully it will be low maintenance for the next three plus years.

For this season you could throw and grow and cross your finger and/or plan to do your forage plot next year

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
check out the Whitetail Institute web site. They have much info and many videos to help you with.
see

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
PM sent
The Lord Is My Provider......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©