3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LaClair Fransica Axe for hunting and camp  (Read 306 times)

Offline longbow guy

• Trad Bowhunter
LaClair Fransica Axe for hunting and camp
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
I have one on order, would like to know if any of you fellas or ladies   are into hawks for hunt camp or packing in for poling out animals.   If you are and have one , what are your thoughts on the axe ?
(david miller) old tom , black widow  pl III and  pl ll
wifes (david miller) little hawk
wifes black rhino
two tracks longwalker
MLA Member and Compton Member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: LaClair Fransica Axe for hunting and camp
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
The Francisca was one of the weapons of the ancient Frankish people who were indigenous to the lands comprising portions of France and Germany, who wielded it as a tool and weapon of war.  The Romans have accounts of it being a fearsome weapon that was sometimes thrown in such a way that would bounce up under the Roman shields and kill or maim whomever it struck.  The small size makes it a handy sidearm.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Sweet looking hawk I may have to put one on the Christmas list.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
I remember long ago we were WAY back into a management area, and my friend Doug killed a 125# hog....I had an ax with me thank goodness...it was a mile and a half pole out.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
The Francisca hawk on my web site is listed as a throwing hawk because historically that what it was used for. But it is also a great tool with multiple uses as a camp ax, blind building, deer dressing or just about anything you would use a regular hatchet of hawk for.

http://www.shrewbows.com/Francisca/index.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
I almost always have one of Ron's axes or 'hawks with me in the woods. Splitting a whitetails pelvis, brushing in a blind, trimming up those stray limbs in a treestand.....they are always handy. I have even used them as a skinning ax. The fun part is that Ron's cutting tools always have some neat historical flair to them. They are superb quality, always functional, but fun to use because of the history....just like our longbows and recurves.

You can't see it in this picture, but my son packed one of Ron's big Bowie knives up the mountain in his backpack every load out this summer (Wildland Firefighter). Every ounce mattered in his pack, and he thought highly enough of (and used regularly) Ron's big knife that he included it in his kit.Quality stuff.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I like it!   I think I'd like to trade my shrew hawk for one of those.  Don't have the extra funds at the moment to buy out right but something to start saving for, think about save the difference, whatever it might take that the budget can handle at the moment.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Although not so partial to the Francisca design, I also carry a Shrew hawk, all the time when I am at my place in da UP, and much of the time I am out in the woods anywhere.  I can't believe how often I use it.

Heck, I forgot my chain saw for the first time in many years, and of course, a tree was across the road getting in.  The Shrew hawk removed it.  Thank God it wasn't some huge oak tree, but it did the job.  I am always trimming up trails and marking areas.  Hundreds of uses.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©