3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Naked or Not?  (Read 947 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Naked or Not?
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
I've only been trying to be a trad guy for a few years now.  Despite years of hunting with a compound bow with an attached quiver, I have been really enjoying shooting my Holm-Made recurve totally naked...uhhh..."devoid of quiver."

Lately, however, I have been considering adding a quiver to the bow.  Looking for input on preferred styles....Bow quiver/No quiver...and why.

Thanks!

Kingsnake   :archer:

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Naked or Not?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm a big Kwikee Kwiver fan. I like having the arrows on the bow when I'm on the move but can take it off in 2 seconds when I get where I'm going. My widow psav is already heavy enough and I love the way it balances without the quiver. I think it's the best of both worlds. I know it's not as nice as all the leather quivers but it's extremely functional.  Incidentally, I have the same setup on my barebow wheel bow. I know, I know - blasphemy.

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
There will be opinions from one end of the spectrum to the other on this question. Mine is that I do not find a bow quiver detrimental in most any hunting situation, and in fact the best all around way to transport my hunting arrows. Arrows attached to bow = one less separate item for me to carry.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I knew there would be many opinions going in, but I'm fine with that.  Also, I will take all input, then end up trying both anyhow.  Still....worth asking.

Kingsnake

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
I like my Dual Arc bow quiver on.  The weight helps stabilize my hand and allows me to tune the bow's handling some.  The convenience is unmatched.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
I always liked my longbow naked, but as of lately I've been shooting it with a bow quiver.  I didn't like it at first but it has certainly grown on me.  The little extra riser weight has made the bow more forgiving and arrows are much more conveniently located now.  For now I am going to stick with the quiver and see how it goes. Cheers SS

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I shoot just about every day, but only hunt a few times a year.  It is certainly a lot more convenient on my daily shoots to use a side quiver. I get used to the feel of the bow without a bow quiver, and don't feel like changing things when I'm getting ready to go hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm a Holm-Made River Runner fan. It's my go to bow when I have to shoot well or when it's time to go hunting. Many don't like to do it, but I drilled my riser for inserts and put a Kwikee bracket on. I get to my spot and it comes off. I also drilled for inserts for a side mount Great Northern. I use that when I hike or still hunt and may get a unexpected shot.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
I like a little more mass, like a three piece.  My home made strap on adds that wight to my one piece.  I usually use a side quiver, but use the bow quiver occasionally   Play with it and do not make a decision on one outing
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Ron W...I also shoot the River Runner.  I really like it.  I could not see myself drilling, but I would be willing to strap on a Velcro quiver.

Also, and I may be dating myself a bit, but when I started shooting trad, I had flashbacks to watching my old "Bowhunting October Whitetails" video....where the Catquiver looked so convenient and awesome in its Jim Crumley Treebark camo.  Yea...I bought one and I use it.

Still...

Kingsnake

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
I prefer a naked bow myself. I don't like having things sticking off my bow while I'm stalking. I have enough to worry about besides my quiver snagging brush, and exposed feathers to make noise. To me, in this case, the cons outweigh the pros. I have good success with a safari tuff.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
I shoot all of my bows with quiver attached. I always did with my wheelie bow as well. I tried to shoot a recurve with no quiver and it just felt weird to me
I love Bow Hunting

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
I prefer go use my Dawgware Side quiver.  I will use an EFA 3 arrow one on occasion.
T ZZZZ

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
I've dealt with the same question. benfits are extra wt (if needed) seems to stabilize bow a bit and the convenience. the biggest negative I can think of (other than extra wt if you don't want or need it) is there is extra "stuff" that may be picked up by deer etc when you are moving the bow to get in postion for a shot. that said, if you move at the right time you can hopefully avoid getting picked off.  UNLESS there are a bunch of different pairs of eyes watching and then it might not matter much anyhow.  I have had indivudals indicate that tuning changes with vs. without a quiver - therefore consider this. best - matt
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Not.  I've shot with a bow quiver for many years and it feels just fine to me.  I tune with it on and it has never been an issue for me.

Every quiver is a compromise and a bowquiver is the best for me.  Doesn't mean it has to be for you.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
I shoot a three-piece Widow with an attached quiver and always shoot with it on. I like the extra mass and feel I should practice like I hunt. If I need a second arrow, there's nothing faster than an arrow right off of the quiver on the side of the bow.
FoCoBlackWidow

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
I shoot a Sarrels takedown longbow. I practice and hunt with no quiver onthe bow. I carry my arrows in a Great Northern Quick Detach quiver on my bow. As soon as I get in a blind or stand, I take the quiver off my bow.

Bisch

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I like a Thunderhorn Lynx with the small fry hood.  It is adjustable from bow to bow and goes on and off quickly and easily.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
I prefer mine nekked.

Though I do often make a single arrow "quiver" with half a Selway Piggy-Backer and a broadhead sheath for a fast shot when stalking or as a second-chance from a stand.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
I shoot my longbows, naked as you say. I like a Kanati two piece side mount slim jim on my recurves. very tight to the bow. I have others but that is my fav. I guess it might have to do more with what you grew up with, but to me a recurve almost looks silly without a quiver on it,lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©