3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Naked or Not?  (Read 945 times)

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Naked or Not?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I'm going with one on my recurve; just can't find a better option for hunting out of a climber.
SWA Spyder

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I have a pack on my back whenever I hunt (elk take  you crazy places). If I did not have a pack on, I would use a back quiver. As it is though, a bow quiver is far quieter than a hip quiver, so that is my choice.

Besides... the guys I look up to in the trad hunting arena are often seen using a bow quiver (Terry G, Kurt, Charlie, etc.). I figure they know a thing or ten about quivers.  :bigsmyl:

There are times when they aren't needed, but for spot and stalk hunting, they require less motion and can weave through brush more easily for me.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Depending on the day, I'll use a bow quiver, or not. I do make sure arrow flight is not affected.

If I'm planning on staying in one place, or only moving short distances, I'll use my arrowmaster and have a single arrow quiver taped on my bow (Black Widow  Ace-in-the-Hole).

If I'm going to walk more, or will take shots at small game and/or stumps that day, I will use a strap-on bow quiver. It makes it easier to choose a broadhead, small game head, or judo. I usually take it off when sitting for deer.

On my Thunderchild, I use an EFA 3-arrow with the set-back bar. On my Buffalo, I'll use a Big Jim's 5 arrow.

You won't know until you try.

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
The infantry taught me to always have my weapon in hand; not slung on my back or out of reach.  Without arrows, the bow isn't much of a weapon, so having them together (bow quiver) seems natural to me. Everything by Kanati seems to combine thoughtful design, quality construction and compact size.  

I tried a traditional back quiver once, but couldn't get the arrows to stop rattling or hanging up on overhead branches.  - John

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
There are downsides to a bow quiver, but to me and my hunting style the pro's out-weigh them. I don't see either as being "better" or "worse" and I think a poll shows an almost 50-50 split between the two. I just like y arrows with my bow. I don't need more than 4 arrows on a hunt (Oh how I WISH for the day when I take a back quiver FULL of arrows on a long duration elk hunt!) and 3 broad heads and one bunny buster suits my current needs. There are guys who only carry one arrow in one of those single broad head holders on their bow. It just depends. I know I've mentioned mass and weight a number of times before, but really the mass of the quiver on my bow has nothing to do with anything. A few ounces or even a couple pounds here or there doesn't do much of anything for me. I just like to drop my pack sometimes and snoop around with just my bow. Maybe when I get into field archery shoots a back quiver will make more sense as I fully expect to lose 4 arrows in m first 10 targets haha.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks, all!  Plenty to consider here, that's for sure.

I do like the look of that Kanati Slimjim, but I shoot Woodsman 3-blades....Do they make a top end of the quiver with that type of broadhead in mind in addition to the two-blade version?

Here my normal Catquiver rig....

Kingsnake

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
One piece Longbow: Nude     :saywhat:    
One piece Recurve: Nude     :saywhat:    
Three pce bows: bowquiver, preferably with inserts in riser, so no rubbers   :)       :nono:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
I run through this each year.  I don't like to shoot with a bow quiver on, but its the most handy way to carry my arrows, especially when I have a climber on my back and a satchel on my side.  I have resorted to a kwikee in the past, this year I have a new bow I don't want holes in, so I will be trying my kwikee mounted on a cobra hip adapter fastened on a fanny sack.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I used a bow quiver early on in my bowhunting, but these days I prefer to not have on on the bow. I use a Safari Tuff back quiver now and like it a bunch.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
I personally don't know of a hunter who has been more successful killing more animals in more places and in more varied situations than Denny Sturgis Jr.  He uses a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster most of the time, but I think he said for water buffalo he did use a bow quiver for a faster reload.

I prefer lighter mass weight bows, and bow quivers make them feel off balance to me.  More to snag when going through thick stuff, offers little protection to the arrows and fletchings vs. an Arrowmaster, can make a lot more noise at the shot if an arrow gets loose, amplifies any bow movement, and I can think of at least one or two times I was contacted for an emergency string because someone cut theirs placing an arrow back in a bow quiver.

For me and the hunting I do, can't beat a well designed side quiver.  Hides the arrows, protects the arrows, they won't get snagged and fall out, won't get loose and cause noise, won't flag, won't change the feel of the bow, can carry more arrows...

But that's just my opinion.

Offline LB243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I shoot with a great northern adjustable.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
I bought an arrowmaster for this season. But after using it all summer for practice. When I loaded up with broadhead arrows. I decided I'm going back to a bow quiver. I put 4 BH arrows and 2 bludgeon arrows. With the BHs  in the foam I can hear the feathers rustling against each other. And when I would Draw  an arrow out I could hear the nock scrape down the other shafts. It did not do this until i stuck the BHs in the foamI when I shot fields points this summer I never stuck the FPs in the foam. I also don't like having another thing strapped to my body  between my arrowmaster safety vest back pack binocs and I do use a climber at times I felt like I was draped like a X-Mas tree. And with the arrow master the Fletcher's are protected but the BHs are susceptible to rain and snow.

I like a bow quiver BH heads are protected  because the hood is up. So no rain or snow. Fletching can be protected by a fletch cover. When it rains I will lay the bow across my lap to keep rain from getting down the top of the fletch cover.
I can easily carry my pack,climber or both on my back without the extra hassle of a side quiver flopping around.there also no real  convenient place to hang a quiver in the tree. If you need to reload fast you have to take your eyes off the animal.
With a bow quiver the arrow is inches from the shelf. And you can keep you eyes on your prey. As far as arrows,getting snagged through brush with the bow and arrows as one unit it easy to manipulate,through brush and as terry green says you can hold you bow with quiver full of arrows I'm front of,you like a mini blind.
A well designed bow quiver will not make your bow louder  
If  anything it will absorb excess vibration.  I never cared for quickie  quivers  when I shot wheels they always made a Fop sound. I have a big Jim quiver on my buffalo. And it is very quiet and secure. I didn't think I would like a bow quiver on my longbow for balance reasons. But I was wrong I can actually hold more steady with the added weight.
There is no perfect quiver. But IMOP there nothing faster to reload quieter while hunting. And more convenient. And I have tried them all back,side,hip,cat, etc... And I may try them all,again but I always go back to a bow quiver.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
And with the arrow master the Fletcher's are protected but the BHs are susceptible to rain and snow.  
There's an optional cover just for that, so if you hunt in snow you can have your arrows fully protected.  A dab of Vaseline or Chap Stick on the edge does a good job of protecting them also.

Like most things, it boils down to what you like and what you are used to.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:

And with the arrow master the Fletcher's are protected but the BHs are susceptible to rain and snow.  
There's an optional cover just for that, so if you hunt in snow you can have your arrows fully protected.  A dab of Vaseline or Chap Stick on the edge does a good job of protecting them also.

Like most things, it boils down to what you like and what you are used to. [/b]
I know about the optional cover and I thought about spending the $25 plus shipping. But like you said it all boils down to what you like.  I actually got the arrowmaster  last X-Mas. I only got to hunt with it a couple of times. Due to horrible weather and seasons end. I did not really like it  it seemed to flop around to much. I thought about returning it But I thought I should give it a fair shake and play around with it. I used it all summer and liked it in the back yard. But for hunting It seems a little more cumbersome than necessary. I may try hunting with it again soon Or I may just sell it. I am happy with my bow quiver.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
I think the right quiver is dictated almost more by use than design

Lets face it, the different styles of hunting has proven all styles over quivers useful through the years.

I've tinkered with many.
bolt on selway
strap on great northern longbow
2 back quivers
home made gfa style
a real gfa quiver I recently tried out
a chief side quiver

As an over all quiver for me, both in stands and on the ground I like my chief or my home made side quiver (used a great northern longbow quiver, removed the straps and added 550 cord).  I like my backquivers for roving/range time/small game stuff.  They're fast and easy to load.  My Chief is my preferred for big game, I can carry 5 Bh's and 1 or 2 blunts.  I'm not really thrilled with the fleece hood, but it does serve its purpose if I use it.  It does mash feathers.  The chief really is no fun for roving or range time as loading is no fun with a separator foam plug on the open end.  My GN is ok, but I don't like the in and out with the rubber, (bent shafts).  The Great Northern doesn't fit my 23/64 shafts at all though I like the design.  I've used something similar to it for 14 years off and on now.  I cut the rubber and that was a mistake but I know the rubbers replaceable so its not a giant loss.   Nice quiver but not made for large diameter shafts...plus it really stinks in the cold.  The rubber gets crazy hard.

back quivers are nice and I really do like them, but back pack hunting they're out and I really don't like them around treestands.  I drop enough crap I don't need to drop my arrows too lol.  Otherwise this would like have been my go to for years and it was early on.  

The selway is nice design.  It fit my bob lee well.  It does give a wider profile which makes low crawling crappy....ok low crawling with most quivers is no fun but for some reason this one always gave me fits.  Otherwise on my recurve I liked it.

Like Chad I don't care for the weight of a bowquiver anymore and haven't for awhile now.  I wont go as far as to say my bows are light, not all of them are featherweights, but the added weight of a quiver and added noise is what I disliked.  

I don't mess with a flap on my chief I dont believe you really need it.  It has a similar open body design to the arrow master.  I've used vasaline in the past and may go back to it.  Its not enough to make a difference on blood trails though at one time I'd pack my hood slots full of Vaseline and wipe off the excess carefully after inserting heads.  

My chief and great northern slung as a side quiver both work well in trees as they do on the ground.  Low crawling I take them off or pull them up on my back.  They don't do as well crawling as a some other quivers overall though they do good enough with everything else I've learned to use them in awkward spots.  I do hang them off a fanny pack belt when up in the trees. A lone wolf strap works well also.  Again its nice not having the arrows on the bow.  They're right next to me so its still an easy load.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I don't care for a bowquiver. If you should decide to use one, seriously consider the Great Northern strap on style. In my opinion, it interferes with the flexing of the limbs the least (aside from one that uses inserts). That brand with the big slide on rubber attachments (I know the brand name, I'm just not saying it out loud) is horrible, in my opinion. It changes the way your limbs flex, and can be damaging.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
I do the majority of my hunting with a bare bow and GFA side quiver.

Bill

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
All my bows have bow mounted quivers.

Nothing else is quite as convenient or solid.

Anything else just catches on all the brush, moves around, and/or makes noise and is just in the way.

I would use a Safari Tuff on a bunny hunt when you need lots of arrows' though.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
I like a strap on bow quiver, for two reasons.  First, it adds weight to the bow.  I came to recurves from a target compound background, so I was used to shooting bows that weighed upwards of ten pounds with all the target stuff on them.  I don't feel steady with a light bow.  Second, I think strap ons make the bow quieter.  The rubber straps seem to dampen sound, almost like limbsavers.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks, again, Gang for not only providing your recommendations, but also the rationale for those choices.  I will continue to experiment with some of the options mentioned and find which approach works for me.

Kingsnake   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©