3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BURN OUT  (Read 828 times)

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
BURN OUT
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
any of you guys ever suffer from burn out or discouragement,  maybe from having a bad day shooting,  or from shooting every day or just not shooting to your expectations....ever just feel like quitting...if so what did you do to stay on track...

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BURN OUT
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
We all get burned out, it depends on the extent of the burn though. I use to shot one of them wheel Bows 2-3hrs a night 5 days a week as an indoor competitor. After 5 years I couldn't stand looking at the damn thing any more. Haven't picked it up since I found traditional archery and love shooting again, but guess what...
Some days when I'm not shooting well and can't figure it out and my brother and father are slamming bullseye at 50 yards I think y am I doing this?
On those day I put the bow down walk away and come back a day or two later. Try and change it up, get some water balloons blow them up and let them blow around your yard, make some fun targets, just change what your doing, get out of your usual shooting habits.
If that doesn't work, ITS OK TO TAKE A BREAK. If you love the sport you will find your way back to it, don't burn yourself out it's not worth it just step back and smell the roses this is not suppose to be work it suppose to be something you look forward to doing. Just my humble opinion.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I never feel like quitting,but surely have a bad day once and awhile.

I think we sometimes put to high of an expectation on ourselves and get a little discouraged. I try to shoot every day if possible, it is not for a real long period of time and I am a firm believer in just shooting one arrow per round. You concentrate more, get a little more exercise, and you learn to make that first shot count.

I mix it up....hike the mountain, put some good miles in on the bike. They all help me keep a clear head.

Good Shooting,
                                                                  Craig

Offline t2onboard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Nope! And that includes any of the sport/racing we've done since 1970. Put one foot in front of the other and go out the door--hit the weights--hit the bricks--climb on the saddle--grab the paddle or whatever. My thought: if I'm not doing it someone else is. Smile. For archery, I may do something totally different like instead of walking the course, I may just shoot the practice range for two hours working on form. Some times I'll keep score; other times I won't. If it's nasty out, I'll ride the spin bike, lift weights, or do the elliptical. Stay with it because someone else is. Smile.
teamalty

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Not burn out, but after years and years of TP and it escalating to uncontrolable at the end, I nearly threw my bow and quit.  I did the next best thing.  I called Kevin and Sue and they sent me a left hand bow.

Life is good again.

ChuckC

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Yes, I think most of us have been there. Some times you just need to push through it and keep shooting. Other times, you get lay off for a few days and regroup. One thing for sure, is that you need to carefully evaluate your expectations, and make sure that they are reasonable. You may need to shoot and closer ranges until you get your form and comfort back.

Don't give up!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I have never felt like quitting permanently, but I have taken some time off now and again. It is that way with any sport that requires great skill, we sometimes just lose it for a while. After a little time away, I always have come back to it again with renewed interest. Remember, it is a hobby and should be emotionally relaxing. When it gets tense, it is time to back off and do something else, like making up a new batch of arrows or replacing old and worn out gear.
Sam

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Its easy to quit. An easy way out.
"They're all trophies"

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
I never feel pressured to shoot, hunt, mess with arrows, read trad-gang, etc.  I do what sounds like fun - when it sounds fun.

I do get frustrated from time to time with my shooting, but when that happens, I walk away and come back when I want to!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
We do this because IT'S FUN!!!!  It isn't a competition.  Do it because it gives you enjoyment, and of it isn't take a break.  I haven't gotten burned out yet.  It may happen one day but I doubt it.  Anyone that says they never have a bad day shooting is a liar.  It happens to everyone.  I enjoy the process.  I shoot a lot because I love to shoot.  I scout a lot because of love being in the woods.  I love sharpening broadheads, and I am damn near hairless to prove it.  There is a lot of work that goes into bowhunting.  That's part of the fun, for me.  

If it isn't fun take a break.  Don't put so much on yourself that you don't enjoy it.  I have been down that road and it isn't any FUN.

HAVE FUN!!!

Goof luck,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Everyone above has good advice, have FUN!
Conny

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
I experienced the burnout with the wheels but this traditional will accompany me till I'm not able to do it anymore. It is the only way for me.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Now you know why the % of traditional archers are so low.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
How can I stop something I love to do.......Bad days, target panic, bum knees, not many deer....I have seen it all......stop, I don't think so!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
I have bad days. But I cant quit if I wanted to. The addiction to shooting my biw has to much of ahold of me.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Thank, s guy's for all the advice, I think sometimes I put such a high expectation on my shooting and when it doesn't happen I get aggravated, I try to consistently shoot a 2 to 3 inch group at 20 to 25 yards and i find myself scratching my head when it doesn't happen. ..

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
There are a number of reason we become unhappy with shooting. Most of us can relate to the feeling.  Personally, I shoot better when I routinely practice form by shooting without a target. Shooting for form, should be fairly close and follow a routine you establish. Secondly, one day rest for any time you shoot more than 30 min. If you go to a gym and workout for 30 min. on upper body, or cardio, you probably want to switch to something else the next day. Unfortunately, you can't do that with shooting, because your using the same muscle groups. Finally, do not shoot if you are unhappy with your results. Practicing should be fun, relaxing and not a session of practicing bad habits. Practice when your interest is high, not low.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
I would add, studies have shown, muscle memory is acquired by completing a movement correctly (or incorrectly) then sleeping on it for 8 hrs. This means, it is just as easy to learn bad habits as good ones and why bad habits are so hard to get rid of.  It requires a thorough understanding of the correct form, to overcome the bad habit. Target panic as an example, requires special dedication to proper practice without a target.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 03:58:00 AM »
I went out the next day any way. Eventually got over it by never giving up.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
If you don't know what you are doing wrong, it's time to get some coaching.

I shot for years w/out any coaching, until I ran into Mike Fedora and some of his old school field archer buddies. Man they torn my shooting form up and after that 2+hr beating. I came away a far better archer than ever. Opened my eyes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©