3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UPDATE: Frustrated with sharpening Simmons Broadheads  (Read 2279 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
UPDATE: Frustrated with sharpening Simmons Broadheads
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
I've been using the shorter Simmons interceptors for several years never had a problem sharpening them.  They took a little longer then I like but I was able to get a satisfactory edge on them.   Made the switch to the longer safari this year and for the life of me I cannot get them razor sharp.  I've tried the jewel stick, paper wheel, file. Steel Master,and Rada and none of them get these heads razor sharp.

In the past I was always able to get a razor edge on Zwickey, Magnus, Bear and a host of other broadheads with nothing but a mill file and leather strop.  I can get a razor edge in minutes on my knives with a paper wheel.

I like these heads and don’t want to make a change as I have been shooting them all year ……but I am spending far too much time trying to get a razor edge on them and spending way too much money buying sharpening systems for something that used to take me about 5 minutes per head to do.

Season opens in 4 days and I don't even have one razor sharp head.  Taking them to a professional knife sharpener tonight to see if he can get a razor edge on these.  I am beginning to think it is the steel?  I am going to try to get a hold of Dave again this morning to see what he thinks.  I’ve tried the methods he suggested in our last conversation but have not had any luck.

Anyone else having trouble with the Safrai heads?
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: UPDATE: Frustrated with sharpening Simmons Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
I found with my treesharks I get them sharp faster using just a small file..   I have the simmons shaprpener and even those little simmons wheel sharpeners and both where unsatisfactory with the sharks ""other boradheads they where great""   but just a file followed by a extra fine diamond hand sharpener then a few strokes with the simmons ceramic rods (not in the clamp)  then strop and they are all set..

I find the simmons steel is tough for me though compared to all the other heads.
"Us vs Them"

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Go to "how to -resources" section, TWO great threads on this subject...

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks - bought the stuff and tried landshark's method - was never able to get a razor's edge with the jewel stick.  I'll look for the other method.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Dave, I have not tried the Safaris but I do shoot the 165gr (11gr inserts) and the 125 (50gr inserts) Simmons with great results.

I simply love the Simmons... I use the cheapest method out there, a 5" diamond knife and hook sharpener. I keep the broadhead on the arrow while sharpening. Just work on one side until you get a burr on the other side, the little sharpener will get it done. Once a burr is achieved it's time to work on the other side. Repeat these steps a couple times, using less pressure each time.

After the burr is gone is, simply strop the broadhead on a piece of scrap leather. Take the piece of scrap leather and double it over to get the convex shape that will fit the concave broadhead. While stropping do the same as above, work on one side at a time.

I know it sounds too easy to work but in the time it took me to type this you will have a broadhead that will shave. Good luck!!!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
DaveT,
I bought the Safari's this year too. I cannot get them sharp enough too. I'm going back to my Magus BHs until I can figure out the sharpening technique. I'm with you. It's very frustrating!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
A chainsaw file and butchers steel is all you need. Use the file to lower the angle of the factory grind and get a burr. Then use the butchers steel to wipe the burr away. You could go to a ceramic tick or strop if you really want to but I don't think it’s necessary.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
A friend of mine is on their "pro staff" or whatever you call it..

He uses his truck window to sharpen them…

He kills more animals than any 5 hunters I've ever meet….  

Says it gets them popping hair in no time???
Blessings,
Steve

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
I just bought the 150gr Tigersharks, which are similar to the safaris, but are 3/8" shorter.  I'm not the most experienced blade sharpener, and I've only sharpened one so far, but I was able to get it shaving sharp using my KME knife sharpener with the 3-sided diamond jewel stick that Ron sells. I don't know if "razor sharp" is the same thing as shaving sharp, but if it is, then maybe a KME would help.

Good luck!

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Just got off the phoine with Dave - nicer guy you won't find.  He is going to send me 6 sharpened ones and gave me some tips for my steel master.... so I'll give them another shot.  Like I said, I really like this broadhead - just need to get them sharp.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by PastorSteveHill:
A friend of mine is on their "pro staff" or whatever you call it..

He uses his truck window to sharpen them…

He kills more animals than any 5 hunters I've ever meet….  

Says it gets them popping hair in no time???
PastorSteve,

Harmon uses this first..

and then uses his truck window in place of the leather strop.  

I recently purchased the RADA sharpener off of *****.  It works, but you do need to finish up the heads on some type of strop.  Whether it be truck window, leather, or a ceramic rob.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I'm not sure why people have trouble getting these heads sharp? I find the steels temper to be much more consistent than any Zwickey, Woodsman, or Snuffer .... The hard spot on said heads drive me crazy!
I have to get me a new set of woods to put some safaris and treesharks on.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
This flat works right here for Simmons heads

https://www.razoredgesystems.com/guides/guides/arrowhead-guide

3 sided jewel file and do this you can shave with them.

Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Use a round diamond chainsaw file with light pressure. If the head needs a little reshaping then use a regular round chainsaw file with heavy pressure first then the diamond file to finish. A round dowel with leather glued over it will do for some stropping.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
I use the Magnus All Sharp followed by strop, it's one of the easiest heads I've ever sharpened. Only trick is adjusting the angle of the head as your pulling it across the carbide cutters till you hear/feel it cutting.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
most of the time I just use a file and/or a diamond stone. if I come across a head I cant get sharp, I will hit it a few strokes with my accusharp. that does the trick everytime
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
Update:   OK Sunday morning I sat down with a pot of coffee, steel master, Jewel diamond stick and determination.  I used the steel master file and really ground down the bevel and got a good burr.  Then I used the jewel stick and broadhead guide and got a pretty decent edge.  Finished up with the ceramic sticks on the Simmons steelmaster and now they cut hair.  Still not as sharp as I usually prefer them but there is no doubt they will kill deer.

I appreciate all the tips.  

What I found was that The RADA, Accusharp, and other pull through type sharpeners are nice but there is no way they will ever produce the scalpel type edge I prefer.  IMHO - They are adequate for field touch ups.

Frustrating to say the least but perhaps now I will be able to maintain them?

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
I just sharpened my treesharks last night.  All I use is a 6 inch bastard file and then strop them on some leather.  Had all 3 easily shaving hair and cut my leg in 5 minutes or so.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©