3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk Toelke  (Read 655 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets talk Toelke
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
Hey guys, I have a Toelke Chinook on the way to test drive. I originally inquired to Jared about the 58" Whip. I have really fell in love with a 58" r/d longbow. It just looks and feels right.

Jared said that @ 28" draw he thought a 58" whip felt too harsh for him. However, I am under the impression that these toelke guys think average grade butter isn't smooth enough. Do you think it would be too harsh for the average guy? Anyone shoot one? I shot a 58" cascade brush hawk that didn't seem harsh at all.

I'll check out this Chinook, but in the meantime I am wondering how that 58" whip would compare. And would it be really beneficial to bump it to 60"? And does a Chinook give up anything to a Whip?

Just kicking this stuff around. I am really liking what I see from Toelke.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk Toelke
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
The Cascade was a 56" bow. I would always follow what the bowyer recommends as they know what the bow was designed to do.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
56 braced or amo? I meant amo.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
AMO 53 1/2 strung

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Snowplow,
 I've been shooting a 58" Chinook for 5 years. Smooth, probably the quietest recurve I've ever owned. I know it is the absolute lightest recurve I've owned (not a takedown). Love the grip. I'm thinking about a Whip, but at 64". Dan said the Whip grip is slightly smaller than the Chinook grip.
Terry

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Whoh that is way shorter than I remember. No wonder it seemed so little. That was the first bow that got me thinking longbow instead of recurve.

Thanks Terry! Does the bow seem forgiving?

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
I would go chinhook over the short whip. If you like the whip a 62" whip would serve you better in my opinion.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Anybody know how much length they drop when braced? 3"?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
The Chinooks a very nice bow and super quiet.
Both of mine were 60".I dont think he is making the 60" anymore.
I had a 58"  1 PC. Toelke recurve.This one was the curve he made that was replaced with the chinook.It was a  nice shooter.
I currantly shoot the Kestral at 52 inches and think its one of the best short bows I have ever owned.
I think the whip would be better in the longer length as well.
I draw about 29.5 and had a 60 inch whip.I preffered the longer ones that I have tried over the 60".
At 28 inches draw the 60 inch whip may be fine for you.

Offline MEsquivel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
I have 58" take down whip that smokes an arrow and is whisper quiet.
I've never chronoed it, and I really don't care to, but its faster that my another similar longbow with same weight but its 62".

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
I've owned a bunch and I wouldn't go shorter then 62" with a 28" draw with a whip.  58" chinook will be good to at least 29", owned a couple of those two.  The Toelkes seem to like short bows for a given draw length to eek out all the performance. It seems the folks happiest with Toelkes go one size longer then they usually recommend.  Great bows all of them and some of the finest folks in the business!

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
I intended on buying a recurve, but have kind of fallen in love with the r/d as long as it isn't too long.

How do the Chinook and Whip feel different? Why would you pick one over the other?

Basically why would I shoot a Whip over a Chinook?The Whip seems more popular, yet recurves seem more popular in general and the Chinook seeems better on paper (shorter, faster, just as quiet, no handshock, longer draw/length)

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
I have a 58" R/D Whip but my draw is around 26 inches--for me it is absolutely smooth and a great shooter.  I absolutely love this bow and continuously get comments about how quiet and fast it is.  The bow is very light and petite and puts the arrows where I am looking when I do my part.  I would listen to the Toelke's---they sure know what they are doing! They are great folks and are sincerely interested in doing all they can to fit their customers with the bow best suited to them.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I recently picked up a 62" whip classic and it is fast becoming one of my favorite bows.  Definitely the quietest bow I own.
T ZZZZ

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
I have shot a 60" Whip with a hair over a 29" draw. Worked fine, but. I prefer 62" and 64". I've owned a couple dozen whips I bet.

For a 28" draw, I'd go 60"...should be around 58" tip to tip when strung

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I've owned a bunch and I wouldn't go shorter then 62" with a 28" draw with a whip.  58" chinook will be good to at least 29", owned a couple of those two.  The Toelkes seem to like short bows for a given draw length to eek out all the performance. It seems the folks happiest with Toelkes go one size longer then they usually recommend.  Great bows all of them and some of the finest folks in the business!
Hmmm, no offense Brad but I disagree.  Dan's recommendations have always been spot on for me. If anything, he's tried to talk me into a longer bow.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Haha, you won't offend me!  Of course I've never once regretted going longer when I've had the chance.

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
I have 2 58" takedown whips and love them. I dont have any experience with any other longbows to compare because that was what I switched too from a recurve. The 58" is sure nice in the woods and groundblinds. Dan is the man so you cant go wrong in my opinion with whatever you get. The man does some incredible work.

58" 65# @ 28

58" 58# @ 28

Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline NotDylan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
I've got a 64" Whip HS and a 52" Kestrel from the Toelkes.  The Whip is smoother, quieter, and just generally more forgiving than the Kestrel, it's a fantastic bow.  I'm not saying that the Kestrel is none of those things, the Whip is just more so.  The Kestrel is definitely faster.  I'd bet the Chinook falls somewhere in the middle.  I love my Kestrel but do kind of wish I had the Chinook instead.  

With that being said, if it's a short R/D longbow you want, get on Gregg Coffey's AKA Javaman's waiting list ASAP.  I just recently received a 56" Inferno from the classifieds and am blown away.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
I think a 60" HS whip would serve you well @28"
it will open up a bit more than the 58". The 62" HS might just be perfect. Lower string angle than the 58" and plenty fast. Don't get hung up about the "on paper" specs with speed etc. Toelke bows are plenty quick AND quiet. A rare combination.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©