3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I just plain cheap?  (Read 587 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Am I just plain cheap?
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
I realize that I don't take long term wilderness hunts under severe conditions, so that may affect my thinking. However, I see the costs of much of the gear and clothing and think there is a lot more marketing hype than added benefit in much of it. For example, I find surplus military camo to be inexpensive and just as effective (possibly more so) as the latest catalog offerings. A lot of good wool can be bought at next to nothing at thrift stores. That said, my wool from Asbell and La Clair are worth every cent. Good work boots are sufficient for most hunting situations, at least in our generally mild Georgia weather. My ghillie is home made, and it works. Carhartt work pants in green or khaki work well in mild weather, non camo situations.  My rain suit is from Cabela's and was not overly costly, but it works well.

I'm not being critical of those guys who feel the need for the top of the line goods, but just coming off an expensive European trip, I realize I don't have funds for a lot of extra stuff. This got me to thinking that it is not necessarily useful to always grab a leading catalog and order things that can be bought more cheaply just up the road from home.

What to you other guys do? So, am I becoming merely thrifty or just chincy? I am not knocking those who do want the best and are willing to pay what it costs, just wondering about the increasing costs of hunting.
Sam

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I just plain cheap?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Hunting around  the house, it really doesn't matter. If your 8 miles back in with the threat of weather, then it choose my gear wisely.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
There are a few things I will spend money on such as boots and rain gear. But I agree with the rest of your post.

My clothes are not gear, they are just clothes.   :biglaugh:

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
I never spend any effort on worrying about what others are doing...I find if I focus on what I am doing my energies are far better spent

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Sam,

For some I think it simply adds to their overall hunting pleasure to know their gear is the latest and greatest. Some guys are content with a 1970s bow which will do the job just fine, while others like a new bow every year or two. Same with clothing and other gear. I own Zeiss binocs, but don't think they are actually 5 times better than a pair of $300 ones. Clothing is so personal because it literally reflects personal styles, attitudes and taste. In my case, a far-flung wilderness hunt using ultralight gear doesn't lend itself very well to weighty wools and bulky goods. I look for modern solutions to the problem, as there is little choice when a pilot tells you "this many pounds" and that's it.

There certainly IS market hype, but there is also real benefit in some of today's advanced gear and clothing. The issue is definitely cost, as rain gear (example) can run $600-$800 for a set. Just recently I thought about my $800 down bag, $200 cot and $200 mattress. $1200 for a bed, but I spend fully 1/3 of a wilderness hunt in it and consider it as important as any gear I own. That said, I have a friend who values using surplus gear and saving money every way possible. He will tolerate more in order to spend less, and that's perfectly fine with me too. There really isn't any right or wrong...just right for you and me.

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Granted deer are smarter than the majority of the crossbow hunting folks around here, but i just had a guy walk directly at me, to within 10 yards and I was in my costco brown plaid flannel and thrift store green khakis.
Really upped my faith in plaid.  I whistled, whistled again, took my hat off and waived to him.  (Which was kinda scary, never know what someone will judge movement as)

Think I am going to walmart for some Flo Orange

I am with stickbow, I will always pay for good boots.
Shootz!

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
I don't think you're cheap.  I think you're realistic.  Marketing hype is what sells most specialty gear, not it's   actual  usefulness.  Bowhunting, like any other niche market, adds 10-30% to the cost of an item.  So do "brand" names.  As you say, surplus camo gear is a lot cheaper, and just as good; if you even feel the need for camo (I haven't since Viet Nam).

Ghillie suits, IMHO again, as simply ostentation, unless you're a military scout-sniper intent on assassinating enemy officers and getting away with it.  A completely different task than whacking a deer or elk.  People have been killing big game, up close and personal, with bows and spears, for 10,000 years or more wearing just the clothes they were walking around in.

Boots are boots are boots, with maybe the exception of LL Bean Pacboots. But even then, you can get a cheap pair of Wellington rubber boots that will do the same thing for a lot less.  Wool, is wool is wool, and names like Pendelton or Ashbell don't mean squat if you pick your non-brand-name products carefully (long fibers not short).

Same with raingear.  I prefer Frogg Toggs (tm) as they actually breathe and you stay dry inside, not wet from sweat.  And they're not as spendy as Big Box names like Cabelas or Bass Pro.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
If not in extreme conditions the stuff you mention sounds like my hunting gear. I do have a lot of wool, due to the weather up here. Hey if it works for you that's really all that matters.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Great question and topic. I think Kevin hit the nail right on the head with his response.

I do a mixed bag on expensive and not. Something's are important and others not so much. I quite often refuse to buy stuff simply because of the bs hype associated with it (like under armor).

It does crack me up a bit when you watch hunting vids and shows about hunting for moose, sheep, caribou, griz, etc. The hunter (there for a week) is in 1500 dollar outfit and the guide (out there for a month straight) is in jeans and cotton shirts.
  The key is to know your equipment. Its strengths and weaknesses. Then you can use it the way you want.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
I would agree with you Kevin.  The one thing that gets me is I hate to be wet and/or sweaty.  Also, I am VERY hard on gear in general as I'm a bit reckless at times.  

I try to buy stuff that will dry quickly and wear for a long time.  I have also found that military surplus stuff does just that!

I also love to backpack.  In those situations, staying dry is essential, but... military surplus works.  

I'm not opposed to expensive gear though.  My Badlands pack comes with a lifetime guarantee, and I will expect it to last the rest of my life.

UnderArmor is definitely expensive and over-hyped.  That said, their hooded sweatshirt and their hooded jacket that they originally produced have lasted me FOREVER (especially considering the miles they have covered with me)!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I tend to spend the most on the most critical piece of gear. Boots is a big one for me, cold feet have probably brought me back to the house more than anything, I'll spend a little more if it'll keep me in the woods longer. Otherwise I try to buy stuff off-season on sale or thrift shops as mentioned before. I also replace something only when it wears out. Which is usually after the season is over and things are on sale.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Many years ago before " Trad" I used to get Bowhunter Magazine. There was always a cartoon or two about Bowhunters or bow hunting. My favorite was a cartoon showing this some what disheveled guy with a scruff beard and old clothes. But he had the latest and greatest bow all tricked out and the super duper arrows. I looked at it and realized it was me!! Ah, not really, but the way I dressed, whatever is in the closet.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
One has to ask themselves if one expensive name brand piece will outlast 3 good no name pieces. they are all pinholed by fires and ripped by barbwire, etc. the same. A friend recently had a Yeti cooler stolen out of his pickup...the parasites are on the rise. We never used to worry about getting ripped off at trailheads. Some high dollar gear dries faster, is lighter, and packs smaller that might matter on some trips. Some of the high dollar goretex stuff is really noisy when cold and some high dollar wool really needs a wind layer...everything is a trade off.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Increased cost of gear is the least of my worries.  Where I live, you either need relatives with land or you need to be on a lease in order to have a place to hunt within a reasonable distance.  Those costs are high; also, you pretty much need a four-wheeler or beater Jeep of some kind if you are on a lease, or even if you go to the public hunting areas that are still available.  Clothes and such seem pretty cheap after you look at those costs.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I will spend my money on good boots for sure. I find Asbell Wool to be well made and very fairly priced. Second hand has never bothered me. Because of my body type, the latest and greatest in clothing seldom works for me, so I don't go there. With that said, to each his own. Do what you want and can afford, and feel good about what you do. Have fun and enjoy yourself and the friends you make along the way. After all, isn't that what traditional archery is all about?    :campfire:

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
I might add  that if a person gets one item at reasonable cost then you may have enough left for a second item for another purpose. I can afford some gear but refused to pay the price. Never questioned the price for other gear though. New truck prices make me sick but a custom bow reflects a mastercraftmans talents and makes it easy for me. Emotional decisions I know.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
There is a lot of marketing hype in hunting clothing - systems, etc.  but there are new clothing lines that do meet a need for me, especially when hunting in mountains.

As I age, staying comfortable, dry and warm or (cool as the case may be) is much more important to me than it was thirty years ago. And granted, I would have never spent the money back then as there were other more pressing needs.

Are they worth the cost ?  To me what I bought for a week in the Mtns was worth it, to me.   And I will get good use out of them as I hunt locally for deer.  Only you can decide if they are worth it to you.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Totally agree I posted about this many moons ago each to his or her own but if I'm dropping 350 for a jacket and 280 for pants I'm crazy for not buying tires for the truck turning clothing into gear yea right

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
I always used military surplus and good will finds. Mist times that's fine but I have been slowly buying better gear and am very happy with it.
I want to stay warm and dry. I bought merino wool long johns top and bottom. Not cheap but the best I've found as far as warmth. I also picked up some cabelas wooltimate gear with wind shear. Not real cheap but incredibly warm.
For rain gear I use rivers west. Amazing stuff.

I was never as comfortable on stand in cold or rainy weather as I am now and I have half the bulk of all those layers I wore. Most years I hunt every week day morning, all day Saturdays and Sunday mornings for 3 months. To me it was some of the best money I ever spent. I'd rather buy an old Bear for less than $200 if I want to save money somewhere.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
This came up before a bit about wool clothing on a previous thread.  I was not a hi-tech thinking guy (did not have the $$ either!)  However- after planning and doing an AK trip last year I was sold.  When you have ONE pair of pants for 10-15 days in the bush and they MUST work, your life depends on them, they must be able to dry without a fire, they must be lightwt. . . Clothing choices become serious.  

This new stuff seems high $$, but I see guys driving a $30K truck while unwilling to spend $500 on hunting clothes where your comfort and life depend on it.  

For typical local hunting as most of us do, I do not see the need for hi-tech expensive gear.  Honestly- I sort of cringe/frustrated when I see these young guys thinking they need a $1500 bow, tractors-foodplots-cameras, ozonics, and $500 hunting clothes all to harvest a whitetail. The shows and media that promote all of this then close with "take a kid hunting."  What kid can afford all of that? Wish we could help/educate them a little.

For you local hunting, your cheaper, surplus, etc clothes are just find.

My 2C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©