3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Curious about grip pressure  (Read 357 times)

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Curious about grip pressure
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
What are your thoughts on grip pressure and shooting accuracy/consistency?  I shoot my PCH pretty well and typically use a relaxed loose/open palm grip, but today I noticed my groups straying a bit so I decided to mess around and started gripping my bow with a medium to firm full hand pressure.  I'd say it's the most consistent I've ever shot at this point although I know it's only one day of shooting.  My shafts were always tight and always where I looked from that point on.  Anyone have a grip theory?
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Curious about grip pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
Never been a fan of the relaxed, open-hand grip. Always found it to lead to grabbing the bow on release unless you use a sling, and that just won't happen on the types of bows I usually shoot. I like a firm, comfortable grip, not a choke the snot out of it white-knuckle grip either.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
The tighter you grip a bow the influence you make in the torque and alignment of the bow. That works great if you are olympic quality every shot but it is generally less great for bow hunters. I prefer a very relaxed grip with the bow only touching where my thumb and palm meet. I also don't use any type of grip material as a slick handle is most forgiving.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Loose grip for me and have never dropped a bow in nearly 40 yrs of hunting. I cant say I'm opposed to a firm grip as I never gave it a fair try.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
It's more about where the pressure is applied on the riser's grip. You want all the pressure to remain in the center of the riser throughout the shot process.
I achieve this by using a grip much like Asbell, Bear, and Eichler use.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I think that wherever you have your pressure is what you do, just do that every time.  That's all.  Don't alter your grip from shot to shot.
CHuckC

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I've been using a very firm grip for years with no problem. Like any other part of your shooting form you learn to not torque the bow the same as you dont pluck the string, dont drop your bow arm on release, have a consistant anchor and so on............ I was shooting bullseye pistol matches years ago and figured that when you dont limp wrist a .45 your groups tighten up so it should work for my bow too, and it did....... for me.........YMMV..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©