3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Twisting a Flemish String  (Read 161 times)

Offline Jumpingpound

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisting a Flemish String
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
A real short and simple newbie question here.  Do you twist a Flemish string from both ends equally?  Or just one end when you want to shorten it?  Or does it even matter?  I just picked up a new Grayling Green Super Kodiak today and the string it came with only gives it a 7" brace height.  I want to get it to 8.25 as a starting point so I can add my nock point tomorrow.  So what is the correct way to twist the string?  Thanks in advance.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisting a Flemish String
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Lay the bow down on a table and undo the bottom loop and just twist that one. Shouldn't affect nock height if you had one installed prior.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Twist either end--doesn't matter.  Twisting up over an inch of length is quite a bit though.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
Twist either end--doesn't matter.  Twisting up over an inch of length is quite a bit though.
x2  

you will likely need a new string.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Jumpingpound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys, especially for the quick replies!  I think maybe somebody untwisted it a bit in the store.  I twisted it up a little  from each end and now have an 8" brace, and just over 3 twists per inch.  Hopefully that's not too many twists! I'm going to leave it strung overnight, fine tune it to 8.25 by only twisting the bottom loop, tie on my nocking point, and go from there.  Will 3-4 twists per inch be alright until I can order a replacement string?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
The number of twists shouldn't be a big deal as long as the string doesn't "kink up" when you do it.
I personally don't like my strings twisted up very much, but that's a personal thing.

Twist either end. It won't matter at all. Nocking point won't change either.

Rule of Thumb... to gain an inch of brace height you'll need to shorten the string by an inch. As LBR said, that's quite a bit.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
I would twist that string until you have the b/h you are looking for then take that string off and measure it. From there you can make the correct length string or order one from the many sponsors on tradgang.

Grouse

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
The more twist in the string, the more it will cost efficiency (speed).  A heavily twisted string act's like a cushion.

that suggestion to use the string to tune and then get a new one of the correct size seems like a very good idea.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©