3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How & Why I Prefer a Cordovan Tab.  (Read 593 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How & Why I Prefer a Cordovan Tab.
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Let me preface this by saying, this is not a "tab is better than glove" topic... I know guys that will out shoot me day in and out with a glove. These threads that I post are just information on how and why I make decisions for my bowhunting applications.

Let's begin on how I prefer my tabs.

Size - I always start with the smallest tab that will fit my hands. I'll usually gage this by placing my three fingers together and using that as my guide to the "height" of the tab.

Cordovan - Slick release, tough, thick and pliable. So far, the material has been slick enough to where it hasn't affected my tuning. It's tough enough in which I'll end up losing the tab before actually having to replace it. It's just the right amount in thickness. I can shoot my desired bow weights and my back/shoulders will fatigue before my fingers/joints hurt. Finally it's pliable enough for it to fit well in my hands.

Customize - With any brand new tab, I remove certain things and trim to fit. For this tab, I removed the felt that goes between your pointer finger and nock and I also cut the rubber layer, because they end up cracking and breaking eventually. Then, I'll shave all the sharp edges as I tend to drag the tab on my face upon release. Those sharp edges have cut into my face after repeated shooting. Then, I'll every so carefully trim the cordovan and secondary layer. This takes time. I'll cut mine so that I get enough protection upon the release. If you cut it too short the string will nip the end of your fingertips.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How & Why I Prefer a Cordovan Tab.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I took my cavalier and added solid cordovan leather and a button glued to the corner that I use as a reference anchor.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
What other cordovan tabs have you tried and liked. I just began shooting a black widow tab and really like it, but like the look of some of the Bateman tabs.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
So now for why...

I can use a thick layer for protection, while still having the dexterity of my fingers.

I can feel my multiple anchors on my face better.

I have a really deep hook and because my hands are small I have a hard time finding a glove where the protection goes to my second knuckle.

For the type of tab that I'm using, the shelf of the tab sits nicely under my string nock, which I can repeat every time.

At first when I switched from a glove, I thought I would lose my tabs. But with this style, I just spin them around and wear them like a ring when not in use.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Here's what the tab looks like in my hand.

When I first get my tabs, I actually squeeze the heck out of them, so they form to my hand.

My deep hook

When not in use, I'll just wear it like a ring.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Here's what it looks like on my face. To me, it feels less bulky and I can really get a feel for my anchor points on my face. I like getting the string/arrow as close to my face/under my eye as possible.

A different angle. I can really feel that pointer finger in the corner of my mouth.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by BaldingEagle:
What other cordovan tabs have you tried and liked. I just began shooting a black widow tab and really like it, but like the look of some of the Bateman tabs.
I tried  W&W, Bateman, and AAE. For me, the widow tab just "fits" the best in my hand. "It fits like a glove"     :knothead:    LOL!     :D    just kidding...

Only problem...... They stopped making them!!!!!!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I love the Eichler cordovan. Took me a week to get used to it but don't think I'll ever be able to wear one out.  Bought 3 extras just to be safe !

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
That is a serious deep hook. I may try that. I ordered my Bateman direct. It's very nice. Always wanted to try the black widow.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I love the Eichler cordovan. Took me a week to get used to it but don't think I'll ever be able to wear one out.  Bought 3 extras just to be safe !
If it's good enough for Fred!    ;)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
That is a serious deep hook. I may try that. I ordered my Bateman direct. It's very nice. Always wanted to try the black widow.
Crazy huh???? You would think it would affect my tuning, but if anything, it has given me great control over my shot.  Another great  tip that I picked up from Rod Jenkins! I 've learned so much from that guy!!!!

Rod also has a signature cordovan tab.
 http://www.safarituff.com/rodjenkinssignaturetab.html

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Ryan,the Black Widow tab I use is almost customized like yours but it is a split fingers
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
"Great minds........." Felix!     ;)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
The only downside I have ever had with a cordovan tab is the occasional complaint by a whiny horse lover. I have been using the Fred Eichler Bateman tab for awhile and it is tops.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Cordovan tabs seem more durable than the horsehair style. The last horsehair tab I had wore out in a couple of months.  The generic cordovan tab I  replaced it with has been in use for a year now and does not really show that much wear.

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
How do you release from such a deep hook? Do you just pull through or just release?

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I use the Black Widow as well but split finger. Once a long time ago I tried three under and bought a BW 3under tab that had a white plastic piece on top edge to protect finger. I wonder why they stopped making them that way.
Those finger fenders are a pain but I have an issue trying to go without. An old injury to my first finger makes me use them. Otherwise lots of pain on side where nock contacts finger.
I agree, lose more BW tabs than wear out.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
I have a Bateman cordovan split finger that I used for years and years, no sign of wearing out. I just never got into the glove although I started out with it.

Customizing ones tab is very important. I have always trimmed my tabs to fir my hand and face.

Always wear in a spare just in case something happens to your original
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whitetailarcher:
How do you release from such a deep hook? Do you just pull through or just release?
Here's a quick video about my shot sequence. I explain a little about my deep hook.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
I just switched myself from a glove to the Widow Cordovan tab. Pretty awkward at first but really liking it now. I've noticed a crisper release and a quieter bow. I modify mine like Ryan has stated above. On the bowstring, I got rid of the metal nocking point and went with a tie on of D-10, I didn't want the metal nock to cause a tear in the tab being a split finger shooter. I didn't add any glue to the nocking point, I just make sure it gets waxed a couple times a week.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©