3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's THAT on my arrow! (Part 2)  (Read 949 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
What's THAT on my arrow! (Part 2)
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
Friday a buddy called and asked if I wanted to join him this weekend to hunt. Well why would you turn that offer down? He has a fantastic farm that my brother and another one of his friends hunt. They are all still looking for their buck so I asked him where i could go so I didn't mess any of them up. We looked at the farm on our phones and he said I could go anywhere in the front section.

My first question was where were the nut trees. He pointed out two fingers of woods that had nut trees and I was soon off to check them out. The first place I checked was in a shallow draw with thick CRP fields on either side. I could see the large oak trees from the top of the hill and proceeded through the 8 foot tall grasses down the middle of the fields to them. When I stepped in the woods I quickly found them and could see they were being used as the ground was scuffed up. Before I stepped into the wood line I could hear acorns falling. On closer inspection and after seeing three piles of scat I instantly walked back to the truck to get my ladder sticks and stand. Found a good tree about 20 yards from the nut tree that seemed the hottest and hung my stand.

I hunted it Saturday night and saw two does but they didn't use the nut tree that night. They went by at about 60 yards. Returning tonight I was about to move the stand over 45 yards or so where the field edge and a steep bank funneled the two does the night before, but stuck with the original plan because you know what happens when you move a stand and can see the spot you just came from.

The woods was dead still tonight and with a cedar thicket to my rear at around 6:30 I hear a stick snap a short distance away. I turned around to see a doe that had snuck in behind me. Man they move like ghosts sometime.

She was 25 yards away and proceeded straight to the nuts and I stood to ready for a shot. She got to the tree and started loudly popping open acorns and gorging herself. She had her back end toward me and was working her way around under the tree but away from me. I hung my bow back on the hanger and was hoping she would turn around and continue feeding.

She fed down away from me and finally stopped and turned to go around the opposite side of the tree from me. I then hoped she would continue feeding around the tree and she finally did. She turn up the hill and began heading toward me. I grabbed my bow again and began my pre-shot reminder. "Pick a spot", "Pick a spot".

She got to the base of the large nut tree facing me just standing eating the nuts. Then she finally turned to her right. She stopped as she was crunching on another nut she found and at 15 yards was well in range. Only problem was a small limb right across her vitals. She ate that acorn and took two more steps and found another. Now she was perfect.

I found a small spot on her where I though appropriate and put a little pressure on the string. I then checked alignment with my knuckle as I always do, then instantly focused both eyes on the spot. I slowly drew, reached anchor and the shaft was sent.

It never left my line of sight and slammed into the spot I had picked out. I could see my fletchings touching hair that meant just about 5" of shaft didn't go through. She bolted off down the hill, across the creek and into the other CRP field across the way from me. In less than 20 seconds I hearded her thrashing in the tall grasses.

I sat for a second and began packing up to climb down. The shot had been through here from my perch.

I found blood at the shot site and could quickly walk along following it.

at 10 yards all was looking good.

At about 50 yards I found this.

When she made it to the other CRP field the grass was painted red chest high and down.

I knew it wouldn't be long now.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's THAT on my arrow! (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
:campfire:
James Kerr

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
All this was being laid by a deer on a dead run. These new heads sure did the trick.

At about 90 yards I remember thinking she can't be much further. I made a few more steps and I saw the trail turned sharp to the right and knew that was the death turn. A few more steps and I find what i'm looking for

The shot was a few inches above center and came out about 3" below center. The razor sharp Grizzly Instinct had done its work. As I laid the broad head down on the deer I couldn't help but have a sense of pride as I had helped Bill Dunn make this head a reality  just a few months earlier and here I was in this moment enjoying the fruits of not only a hunters labor but the fruits of a well made American product.

Thanks all, good night and be safe out there.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
Wow on the blood man!   :thumbsup:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline LB243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:26:00 AM »
Congrats!!

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
I love it when a plan comes together. Sweet.

My opening day didn't go quite so well (acorns aren't falling here yet, so the only life in my white oak grove was from the squirrels, who were all 40' up where all the nuts still are). But it'll come...

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
Congrats T J on taking a fine deer and a great shot.

TONY

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
Congrats sir! Looks like them new heads are treating you well!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Alright TJ!!! Nice shot!!!    :clapper:

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
Great start to your season Tom   :thumbsup:   That Instinct sure put a huge hole in her.   :eek:  

Bill

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »
Great shot.  She went pretty far considering the shot placement are great blood trail.

Offline Kent57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
Nice job
Kent R. Gray

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
I think you hit her. Great shot on a nice doe.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 05:00:00 AM »
Congrats and man what a blood trail
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:00 AM »
Congrats again brother!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
you da man Tom!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Way to go tom ...GREAT JOB and season so far!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 06:25:00 AM »
Congratulations!  Those heads seem to do the trick quite nicely.
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©