3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Javaman  (Read 298 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Javaman
« on: September 29, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
When looking into his stuff I have noticed that lots of guys that have a helmsdeep are say they are waiting for their elkheart. Point being that it sounds like lots of folks have or have shot both.

Are they essentially the same bow with different limb styles?

How do they feel different/which is your favorite?

BTW what are the strung length of these things? The AMO numbers really throw me off espectially with the recurves and weird shaped stuff. All I know is there way smaller than they look when I see a guy holding them!

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Javaman
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Oh and I think the helmsdeep is the same as a shrew lil favorite and elkheart is a retool of the clasic?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I had a Shrew Lil Favorite for a little while which is same thing as a Helms essentially, Gregg basically was building the Helms under the Shrew line for Ron while also building his Java version concurrently.  And yes, think of the Elkheart as the original Classic Hunter like at least version 3 or 4.0..its the CH SS hahaha....

The Lil Favorite/ Helms is a quick little static, honestly they are both neck and neck speed wise, I think the Elkheart might actually be a little more efficient/quicker pound for pound.

The Elk' is quieter far as my ear can tell, but that's almost unfair to the Lil Favorite/ Helms as it is dang quiet for a recurve, one of the quietest 'hooked' bows I have tried hahaha.  

I really think with each of them it boils down to what you like the look of.  I think that's the beauty of what Gregg builds..much like Toelke...he has a flavor for everyone and so the 'longbow' guys get the Elk' and the recurve guys get the 'Helms'.  A local buddy of mine and fellow TGer who fell in love with my Elkheart but loves recurves decided on a Helms and just got on the list yesterday I believe.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Might be over simplified a little but essentially, yes. I liked the Elkheart better. Helms deep didn't really turn me on but the one I was admittedly to short for my draw length. I liked my Toelke Chinook better to satisfy that recurve itch.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
I have an elkheart and just absolutely love the way it shoots.  Its a KEEPER.  I havent shot a helmsdeep though...Gregg told me the differences between all of his bows and the others mentioned above but I dont remember them exactly.  

the bow fits me without any problems and it flat out goes right where your looking. Its quiet and its fast enough for my liking.  It really zips the 700 grain arrow.

shawn

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
I have both.  The helms is super quiet and very quick..  Like nine said....really just comes down to your preference of lb or curve because they shoot essentially the same.  For me....the classic hunter or elk heart are my go too's.
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:18:00 AM »
Don't think you can go wrong with any bow from Gregg Coffey.    :thumbsup:    

Bill

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
I have both and honestly couldent tell you what one I like better they are both great my Elkheart is a couple of fps faster then my helms deep Both have identical specs I also have a super shrew samurai (heaps diffrent to the Elkheart) is only 2# ligther draw but 2" longer and about 5fps slower then the Elkheart
Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©