3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KTBA deer hunt at LBL  (Read 266 times)

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
KTBA deer hunt at LBL
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
We have talked about this for a long time, but never actually did it, so here it is, Oct 31-Nov 4 some of the KTBA gang will be camping at "Energy Lake Campground" in Land Between the Lakes. In Kentucky alone this is 107,000 acres of mostly oak woodlands. there are some food plots as well as corn soybean crops, but probably 95 % wooded.

For those that have never been, deer densities are decent, but not high, good turkey populations, Bobcat, coyotes, bald eagles are frequent sightings, with armadillos become more common. Even though deer densities are not fantastic, the contours of the land and travel routes to the crop/foodplots usually make for ample sightings and some good hunting. For those squirrel hunters in the bunch, this trip is worth it for that alone.

Google "Land Between the Lakes" for their regs. For you KY residents this is a bonus two deer (Bonus buck !) I cant personally help everyone to a hotspot, but can give you a few pointers. Maps are available on their website, with topos and food plots. Motels in Grand Rivers, but the campground is nice.

Im not saying this is the best deer hunting location in the world, but its pretty nice, and my personal favorite . You can hunt easy access, or hike back in away from everyone else, whichever you prefer. Hunting pressure is fairly light. Close to energy is a population of Fallow deer (sorry, off limits) and an elk and bison prairie (also off limits) . You cant hunt 'em, but they are fun to view. Early nov is a great rut activity time, i expect lots of buck sightings.

Chime in anyone intrested, just for curiousity, but this is a dutch hunt, nothing provided but each others campfire entertainment.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline JJY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KTBA deer hunt at LBL
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
Beautiful place, me and the wife have camped and fished there twice, once in the spring and once in the fall. Seen lots of deer and turkey both trips. Its been a dream to go back on a hunting trip some time but never has materialized. Heard lots of coyote at night on our last trip in Oct. Look forward to seeing how yall's hunt goes. Wish I could make it but the budgets too tight.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:00 AM »
JJY, I understand the tight budget. Its why I hunt LBL every year, its cheaper than a Colorado elk hunt, and very comparable in fun. If camp fees bother you, its OK to backwoods camp with the $25 permit, so you really would only be out gas, and any lic fees if you are out of state. Maybe next year if you cant swing it this year. I think we will just make this an annual hunt/gathering. Theres plenty of camping room and land to hunt. The campfire sessions at night should be good !
its me, against me.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
This sounds like fun!
I'm going to see if I can get a guy or two interested from up here, and would bring a small camping trailer.
Would there be room for a 16 foot unit to camp there?
Are there water or electric hookups there? I don't need any really.
I have a small quiet generator if we need it.
Any do's and don'ts would be appreciated.
Irv Eichorst

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I plan on at least stopping by. A great place to hang out no matter what you end up doing. Easy to find a spot away from others.

LBL website has all the info. Everything from large RV to backpacking is available.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I hope you guys have good weather and a great hunt.    :archer2:

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Yes, this campground has all the amneties of a modern campground, water /electric hookups, plus shower house. I like to backwoods camp,and that is an option ($5 annual fee) but I figured with a big crowd we needed the modern campground. No one need be crowded, as there are plenty of campsites and hunting spots.
its me, against me.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
I think what randy meant to put down is $25 annual. Taylor Bay is another option that is only a mile or two away. No electrical or shower but toilet, trash and maybe water. Camp right on the water with room for RV.

You can use shower facilities for $3 at developed campgrounds with backcountry pass. Some facilities are seasonal but Wranglers is open all year and not far from Energy campground.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
I think I paid $30 for my pass this year (cant remember). I know they raised the fee a couple of years ago. It pays for itself if you live nearby.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I've always wanted to stop and spend some time in the LBL area, as I have driven past many times.

I'm hoping to find someone to ride with me and this might be a good chance to see what I have been missing. And meet some nice fellow TradGangers.

I figure I can still be back for the heart of the rut here in Southern Wisconsin.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Randy,
Sounds interesting! I've day-dreamed about LBL ever since I moved down to KY and it'll be a chance for me to get acquainted with the KTBA gang. Its in pencil on the calendar.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
If not for family and job, I would move close by to LBL. A man could spend a lifetime exploring it. Would love to have a place on Barkley lake where I could just boat across and hunt the spots no road gets near. Maybe after retirement.
its me, against me.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
its me, against me.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
heres a buck I killed there in 2011
 http://***********.bowsite.com/TF/pics/00small43117298.JPG
its me, against me.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Had a lot of high wind, but we still managed to take two deer. The South Carolina guys showed up, and were not getting much action, but had a good time none the less. we ate the backstraps off one of thgose deer monday night. Wishing the NC crew good luck, as they were hunting untill friday. I'll try and get the hero picks up when I get a chance.
its me, against me.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
OK, don't guess im smart enough to know how to post a pic. Maybe someday.
its me, against me.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Randy sent me a couple of the LBL hunt pictures. Here they are. Great looking place and some nice deer!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©