3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS metal or wood riser?  (Read 313 times)

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
ACS metal or wood riser?
« on: September 27, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I am on the list for a new ACS and was wondering
how the metal riser compares to the wood one?
Also is there anything out there,with a recurve riser,that shoots as nice as an ACS THANKS BOB

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS metal or wood riser?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I like my Cocobolo risered CX.  As far as recurves that shoot as nice, I think the Border Black Douglas with HexIV limbs and the Robertson Vision Falcon T/D recurves come pretty close.  I think any edge they might have is the result of a heavier riser.  But to be honest, I wouldn't trade my CX for either one!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I think it really comes down to how much mass weight you want, unless you just want the beauty of a certain type of wood.  My suggest would be if you plan on using a bow quiver then go with the wood and and let the quiver and arrows add the weight for you.  If you like a bare bow, then go with the metal riser and get the benefit of the extra ounces.  
  I have a cocobolo riser and prefer a GN strap on quiver, but I have shot a metal riser ACS CX and it is sweet!  My next ACS purchase with probably be the new 16 inch riser in osage, 64" and 55#@28", lefty of course!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Metal for sure,much easier because of mass for me to shoot accuratly. DAS for your second question.I own a Dalaa and 21 inch Elite, best recurves I've ever shot. 3 Rivers will soon have the 21 inch camo version.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I have owned several wood riser CXs and when my name came up on the list I took the metal riser for my "custom".
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
I shot 3-4 of the metal riser CX's and always thought they were very touchy, to say the least. I shot my first wood riser A&H ACS CX in June and thought it one of the finer bows I've had in my hand. NOT because it was wood instead of metal (it was kinda plain wood to be honest), but it really did shoot a lot better to me. Can't tell you why, supposedly the same grip, but it sure was stable, unlike all the metal riser CX's I've shot. The next week I got on the list for a wood riser, first ACS I thought was worth the wait.

My Morrison Cheyenne shoots better to me; my super shrew isn't nearly as fast but easier to hit with; the 3pc thunderhorn I just shot (and ordered) was not quite as fast but far prettier and at least as easy to hit with; I've shot a few blacktail recurves that were far prettier, not quite as fast, but overall a better bow for me, imho; I've shot a couple of borders I'd say the same about.

"Better" and "as good as" are in the eye of the bowholder...I think only you will be able to decide the final answer to your own question.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
The ACS-CX is a different bow to say the least IMHO. The limbs are so light and slim that a wood riser seems heavier than it is to me. I think that is one reason they shoot so well...they are steady in the hand.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
I hunt in cold weather {-30}, and nothing is warm on the hands, but metal is definately colder to hold than wood.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©