3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any idea if this is safe (laminate cracks)?  (Read 724 times)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Any idea if this is safe (laminate cracks)?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Yes, older bows with glass fibers running in one direction can develop cracks. However, because the bow was stored in an unheated space, it may have absorbed moisture through the old finish, or exposed to high heat. I would suggest contacting the Bow Hospital, or Rich Lopez (droptine) as both may be able to help.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
I've worked on plenty of bows with cracks like that.  Not a problem at all and I wouldn't hesitate to use it just like it is.  But as Hud suggested, a complete refinish would bring some beauty back to that bow.  A great old bow with a personal history to boot - that is a keeper!  Those old Hoyts are gorgeous!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhk1:
I agree with Fletcher-- longitudinal cracks in the fiberglass (even pretty long ones) are fairly common with older fiberglass laminated bows.  Using Loctite 420 to bond/seal the stress cracks is a good suggestion-- I've done it on several older recurves, and they're all fine shooters.  Loctite 420 can be hard to find in stores-- I ended up buying it off the big auction site.  The reason you want something like Loctite 420 is because it's thinner than regular super-glue; it's thin enough to work deep into the cracks.

I think a reasonable substitute for the Loctite 420 might be "Hot Stuff" CA glue (available at Woodcraft stores).  It's a woodworker's quality CA (cyanoacrylate-- like super-glue) glue that's available in 3 different viscosities-- you want the thinnest (watery-est) one.  I haven't used Hot Stuff on bows, but I don't see why it wouldn't work the same as Loctite 420.

I think the bow's length (66") and draw weight (42#) make it more likely that the bow is salvageable; the long length and relatively low draw weight make for relatively lower stresses on the bow (as compared to a 56"-58" 55# hunting recurve).

Before proceeding, make sure there are no signs of delamination.  I'm assuming the stress lines/cracks in the fiberglass (in your pics) are the only visible structural flaws.

If you decide to give it a go, be sure to use a bow stringer to string/unstring the bow, and definitely wear safety glasses at least until you've shot the bow 50-100 times with no issues.

Like Christopher posted above, you want to ease the bow back into use.  Before trying to string the bow, look for excessive limb twist.  WEARING SAFETY GLASSES, using the stringer, flex the limbs a few inches (listening for any bad sounds), then string the bow.  With it strung, look for limb twist.  Assuming the bow is pretty straight, I'd let it sit strung for at least an hour.  Then gradually draw the bow slightly and let it down several times.  Continue drawing the bow in stages-- a little further each time, several times at each stage.  Once you've exercised the bow to full draw, go shoot some arrows.  Hopefully she's a shooter.
This is good info..... 2X to the letter

Offline Steven E Milbocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
That bow will more than likely shoot forever.Longitudinal cracks like that are very common as was mentioned. I've shot many that were way worse than that.The dirt that accumulates in the cracks makes them look worse than they are. I have a friend that refinishes bows like that. he cleans out the cracks, fills them with 420 and refinishes them. They look and shoot great.

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Is it worth finding out it was not safe ?

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.

I didn't have much time last night (had to keg a bunch of homebrew for Grouse Camp next week    :)  )

I did spend just a couple minutes looking more closely at the bow on my bench. The cracks seem to only be in the fiberglass. I can trace most of them to the end of the glass, and see clearly that none of those have the crack continuing into the wood.

I also noticed that on the tips, in a few small spots, the clear coat is sorta rubbed off to the wood lams. The wood looks just like unfinished wood (no obvious deterioration), but I'm not sure if that would be a problem.

I have a pretty mechanical-oriented brain, and to me, nothing stands out as a deal-breaker. The wood all the way around is sound, and there are no areas where anything is trying to de-laminate.

I'll get some better light set up and get pictures soon.

Thanks again,
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Many of us who shoot old and collector bows have used way worse for years. Go with what Fletcher said. I'd put some finish on all the areas where wood is exposed.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
I got a few better pictures yesterday afternoon (the overcast lighting makes the bow more reddish than the brown that it is).

Hard to see, but the tips show no use wear at all.

This shows the crack in just the glass overlay.

Finish crackling...

And this one you can really see, but the finish on the wood laminates is cracked and rubbed off some (bare wood is exposed).

MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
And one of the whole shebang...

MT

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Here is that broadhead.

MT

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Wow, she's a beauty! I love the riser. Besides the cracking finish, it looks great. If everyone here seems to think it's ok to shoot, once you slowly break it in, I would definitely shoot it, and someday when you have some extra cash, send it off to be refinished, and it'll be a practically brand new bow.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wandering Archer:
Wow, she's a beauty! I love the riser. Besides the cracking finish, it looks great. If everyone here seems to think it's ok to shoot, once you slowly break it in, I would definitely shoot it, and someday when you have some extra cash, send it off to be refinished, and it'll be a practically brand new bow.
Thanks. I got the scoop from my dad about the bow. The story  is, when he was a kid growing up in Waupaca County, wi, there was a guy from Illinois that would come up  to the farm every year to hunt. When my dad was 10 (1963), before the guy left he gave my dad this bow (and the green fiberglass one).
MT

Offline brianbfree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Use eye and head protection if you string it and shoot it.
DH Super Diablo         60#@28
DH Ventura              60#@28
BP Lord Mercury         40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP  Mercury Hunter      65#@28

Brian Beery

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
That is a beauty!  The light cracks in the finish are just that- only in the finish and don't affect the structural integrity at all.  The longitudinal cracks are very normal in the older bows. Those really are not bad ones from what I can see.  

Any bow can fail at any time, including modern bows.  Be careful at first of course, but I wouldn't worry a bit about using that bow regularly.  It will most likely out live you.  A complete refinish would be a great idea not only to make it look like new again but also to keep moisture from being able to penetrate into the wood below.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
Well, it's been a long time coming....but I finally got out and shot this bow.

After getting a string last year for it, and slowly working it in (bow never even creeked)...and then leaving is strung for most of the winter and drawing it several times a day....I finally got some arrows made for it by Steve at Simply Traditional and they arrived last week.

Had a mild day yesterday so my Father-in-law and I got out to shoot (ha has a 60's Bear Kodiak).

This thing shoots awfully dang smooth! I didn't get any other pictures (too much fun shooting)...but here is after about 100 shots, after I called "OK, last two the black one is getting it."

This was 20 yds. Not bad for not having shot a bow since high school 15 years ago (and only joking around at that time anyway). We had another bigger foam target we were shooting mostly, not all were this close. But it's a start and I know that I can at least do it.
MT

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I think you did the right thing by not retiring the bow as I've had a number of them with cracks like that and I keep on shootin.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
I agree with Possum.  I bet that old gal felt good stretching her muscles and working again.

Looks like you are shooting it well also.

Congrats on your bow and hopefully great memories of your father.

Also as Whip stated earlier,  if you really like the bow, it may be wise to have a  refinish done. even if you wish to do it yourself.  it will prevent moisture from getting into the wood.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I agree with Possum.  I bet that old gal felt good stretching her muscles and working again.

Looks like you are shooting it well also.

Congrats on your bow and hopefully great memories of your father.

Also as Whip stated earlier,  if you really like the bow, it may be wise to have a  refinish done. even if you wish to do it yourself.  it will prevent moisture from getting into the wood.
I've been keeping a good layer of beeswax/mineral oil rub on her, and won't take her out in anything bu nice weather for now.

I'm working on a longbow build right now, so maybe when I'm ready to finish that on I'll sand this one down and spray both of them together.

Thanks.

p.s. - not all my shots were that close, but those felt really nice, especially as my official last 2 after getting whacked good on the forearm a couple shots beforehand!    :D
MT

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Its not just taking them out in wet weather that will allow moisture. Humidity can do it too.

You should be ok with bees wax and oil rub.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Its not just taking them out in wet weather that will allow moisture. Humidity can do it too.

You should be ok with bees wax and oil rub.
I was thinking about that last night while shooting. We are coming into our most humid time of year around here. Since we have a few days of poor rainy weather ahead, I sanded some of the worst chipping parts down a bit, hit it all with steel wool and then the first layer of tru-oil.

Not a permanent fix, but won't wear off as much as the beeswax/oil. Plan to put 3-4 coats on by the end of the weekend. Then still keep some beeswax/oil on it (habit I guess).

Worked out the brace height last night. Most consistent was at 7.3", but quietest and least felt vibration was at 7.125".  What should I do with that? I dropped it back to 7.125" and shot about 60 arrows... Sure helped eliminate the arm slap too!

My son had fun "chootin' the box".

MT

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©