3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bh cutting diameter. how small?  (Read 681 times)

Online Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
bh cutting diameter. how small?
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
What is the smallest cutting diameter broadhead you guys would use on deer? I have some one inch wide trade points I made that are flying great, but I am a little concerned about the blood trail I will get with them.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bh cutting diameter. how small?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
On deer?  Bigger the better!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm sure they'll do fine. Thousands killed with
1 1/4" heads. Of coarse a heart or double lung increases your recovery substantially.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Make certain that they meet legal size for your state, especially after you sharpen them a time or two.  Put them where they belong and they will kill a deer quickly. Get two holes in that deer for good blood and it will die quickly.
ChucKC

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
CA minimum is 7/8". So you would at least be legal here. Not sure if that's "ideal", but legal. I'd use a 1" head, but that's me, and I'm not the ethics police.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
The smallest I would use is the one that's legal, I believe every state has a minimum.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Most state minimum's are 7/8", modeled after Roy Case's Kiska head, back in the day.  However, not all states have that same dimensional rule, so you have to check.
CHuckC

Online Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I will check but I believe a one inch head is legal

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
A 1 1/2" 300 gn three blade...backed by a 100 gn insert... is the smallest BH I plan to use this fall.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
I don't see any reason to shoot the smallest possible bh.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
I like 1 1/8"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
Your question is really more about your ability to follow a blood trail than it is about broadhead size...two friends and I once followed one for close to a mile...we eventually came to the conclusion that deer had been hit below the vitals and sure enough he was seen later that week with no apparent difficulties...spend way more time working on where you hit a game animal than you do thinking about what you need to hit them with

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
If they're flying great and you can get them broken glass sharp, I wouldn't think twice about shooting deer with them. It's the combination of shot placement, penetration, and sharpness that most influences any blood trail. Narrow broadheads can have the added benefit of reducing "flight response" which means the animal may not even run after a good pass through shot. ...That is unless you hit a heavy bone, then they always run, but that brings us back to shot placement right?  :thumbsup:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
I used the Magnus 85 grain stinger back when I lived in NY. Killed a lot of deer with them too. 7/8" was what they were and while the bloodtrails were awful, the deer always dropped within sight, so it never mattered at that time.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
I agree with Ron, it's not the size that matters (no matter what some others might tell you)   :)   but it is all about how sharp, how long head stay sharp thru the animal, and where the shot is placed!

DD brings up an interesting point on minor wounds.  After a summer eating a lot of green leafy vegetation, deer's bodies are packed with Vit K which aids in clotting & healing.  Seems Momma Nature provides for that to withstand the wounds of the rut and fights!

My only problem with the "tracking" comment is you won't do that where I hunt. Our areas are such a "checker board" of access, deer will run over NO TRESPASSING marked boundaries in any direction in 100, 200, 300 yards if a marginal hit.  You'd better hit em right and put em down quick. Still need to track em into thickets and such, and 2 holes leave better leaky trails!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Well I do focus on hitting them in the vitals and I practice every day but I am not perfect. Also I would argue that the size of the broadhead does influence the blood trail because I used to hunt with a compound and once shot a buck with a 2" mechanical bh and the blood trail was far better than deer I have hit in the same spot with a small broadhead. As for using a small broadhead, the benefits are that they usually fly better than larger broadheads and they get better penatration than larger broadheads. Factors that I need to consider carefully when hunting with a self bow and cane arrows

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Lee I'm not sure but how wide are Hill and Grizzly & Stos Broahdeads they seem small to me too but where you are using a selfbow with cane arrows and your main focus is accuracy and penetration then by all means use the 1" wide heads they are fine,,,,, out of my 47# osage selfbow I'm using the regular Ace broadheads maybe 1 1/8"  so whats an 1/8th when its cutting through the vitals.
"Us vs Them"

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
The bigger the better imo.

Online Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks Tajue17 I think they will do the trick just fine too. I was just looking for some confirmation. Team Fudd, I like big broadheads up untill they start to prevent good penetration.

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
A field tip through both lungs and you won't need a good blood trail. You will be fine. My wife has shot very small 2 and 3 blade broadheads for years. When she makes good shots they die  fast. When she makes bad shots they don't. Thay also don't die fast when I make bad shots whith 160 grain Snuffers. Good luck post pics
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©