3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gonna buy me a climber  (Read 996 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Gonna buy me a climber
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
Well after going to my stand on somewhat private ground this morning (opening day) My two stands were gone. I was there sunday afternoon with my wife so it had to be that evening. I also hunt some state land up north but haven't had anything stolen over a five or say day hunt. So I am going to buy a climber. I'm leaning towards the Lone wolf Hand climber. I have only been up a tree one time with a climber so this will be new to me. I have hang-on stands but usually lock them on and leave them as I get sweaty just hanging them, so the climber just makes sense to me.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gonna buy me a climber
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Don't overlook the Summit stands altogether. They are very comfortable for long sits.

Yes they are a little heavier than the LW. They are also a little cheaper. LW are a great stand though.

Whatever you buy practice with it in the daylight and get comfy with it before you try and put it to use.

bretto

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I'll say this, I'm not a LW fan, only for the fact that it can be tough for a bigger guy to use.  I've been partial to the Summit and have been using it for about 10 years.  I used a LW for a season.   It was quiet and gripped the tree nicely, but it felt awkward to use, I felt like I had get right up against the tree.  trying to use the climber was tough for me, because I couldn't get my arms close enough together to use it. That's just one mans opinion.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I for one wouldn't trade my summit for 3 lone wolf stands. I know several others that feel the same way. That being said, I also wouldn't overlook hunting from the ground. A lot more mobile and if your on stand and repeatedly watch deer move on another ridge, you just sneak over and set up. Best of luck this fall

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I love the Lone Wolf climbers for a variety of reasons, but have also heard lots of praise for the Summits as well.

I always have a cable lock for the stand if I'm leaving it for a few hours or overnight, but creeps determined to steal will find a way.
Lon Scott

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Another vote here for the Summit.

I got the Bushmaster a couple years ago and really like it.  It doesn't fold flat like a Lone Wolf and is a couple pounds heavier, but it was also about $100 cheaper and has more room.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
My all-time favorite climber is the Loggy Bayou. I don't think it's still made but you can still find them on the auction site from time to time. I don't like the climbers with any kind of bar that wraps around me.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
I have had both the Summit and the Lone Wolf. I still have the Lone Wolf, the sit and climb model, and to me it is much better than the Summit. It is big enough and very comfortable in the sit and climb version, and allows for ample shooting opportunities. It is also dead solid and quiet.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
When I sat in the trees it was a Lone Wolf under me. Cast aluminum is super quiet and the stand is a joy to carry. Around 14# and when folded up measures about 4" thick. Making a shot with it on your back is highly doable. Mine also was a hand climber.

If I had a brain freeze and decided to hunt out of the trees again it would be another Lone Wolf.

Good Shooting,
                                                                         Craig

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Terry,look them over good at a sporting goods store if you can. Lone Wolf's are very well made. So are Summit's. I bought a Summit before the Lone Wolf sit/climb came out. I still have that Summit. Comfort is king to me. I can stay all day in my Summit. Damn thiefs. Terry,they CUT DOWN a friend of mines tree to steal his stand. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I've lost 2 hang on's to thieves last year and I had em cable locked  !!!  I've kinda been thinking if going back to a climber or doing more ground hunting. Just getting tired of all the BS that goes with tree stand hunting public land
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Summits are nice and probably more comfortable too.
BUT!!  They are not as stealth. Meaning they are bigger on your back . Most don't fold  up flat like a lone wolf. Just look at pics of a summit on someone's back as opposed to to lone wolf sit and climb and at 14.5 lbs. very light .  Most summits have a  bar around the seat section limiting bow limb clearance. With the LW sit and climb is more trad friendly you have.  almost 360 degrees around the tree with nothing to interfere with your bow. I personally love my lone wolf I've  had it since 2002.  It's also very quiet especially when the  mercury drops below 0 . I don't hunt any of my hang ons or built stands late season they are too noisy in the extreme cold. My LW is dead quiet  because of the cast platform there's no  weld or joints to creek or pop when  you need to shift your weight.
It's been a stalwart piece of gear for me.  
Another thing I can recommend  that works well with my LW is the  leech pack by Game Plan Gear.  
Happy shopping

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
I have a Summit Bushmaster, with a GamePlan Gear tree stand harness, and I think it's great....I just wish it folded flat. I would like to try a LW. One stand that looks good to me is the API Marksman. It folds flat and is lightweight.

Don't overlook a lightweight lock on and lightweight climbing sticks. My brother just bought a 10lb lock on with 4 climbing sticks that weigh 10lbs total....his setup weighs 20lbs and is more versatile then a climber.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Love my Lone Wolf hand climber
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Take a look at Treewalker,  I've used several different stands over the years and it's the only one I use.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
I just got a new Summit Viper, used it first time Saturday afternoon. Very comfortable and solid when in the tree.  I've been using an Old Man for probably 15 years; not really anything wrong with it i just wanted something new and maybe a little more comfy. Plus, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday...

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Ok, take a look on **** or craigslist and find an older Loggy Bayou climber. It's just like sitting in a lock on. no rails, no bars, just like a lock on.  Give them a look before you decide solely based on current market products.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
I have an original Loggy Bayou I would part with cheap.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 12:34:00 AM »
I have a couple summits and one lone wolf. They both have positives and negatives.
Comfort: summit
price: summit
ease of climber: summit
packability: lone wolf
weight: lone wolf but my bushmaster is almost as light
quietness: lone wolf  my summit is quiet but every once and awhile ill get a poping sound depends on the trees u climb
I feel safer in my summits just in case you fall asleep I have side bars on my summits. I like the platforms on lone wolf better. The foot stirups are awesome on the summit easy to climb. I ran into a problem with my lone wolf if you wear thicker boots when it gets cold out my boots didnt fit in the foot bar of the lone wolf so if you have big feet keep that in mind. just my opinion i only hunt in my climbers so i use them about 50 times a year.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
LW's are great---I have the assault which is the very small hand climber---weighs very little and packs quick easy and flat.  Dead quiet in the tree.  Added the climbing strap and can sit down as I climb---good idea in case the bottom would slip from your feet as you now have both hands to maneuver it back up to you.  Before I used lone wolfs I could tell you a lot about a lot of other climbers--summits, loggys, timber tall, brand x because I went through them trying to find the perfect stand--now my search is over and I had to find another hobby other than treestand shopping.  Get the LW and you won't be disappointed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©