3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Indiana Success Thread  (Read 2390 times)

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indiana Success Thread
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Still no deer, but some interesting mushrooms. Found some Hen of the Woods last Saturday and some Shaggy Mane's this morning.  

Best of luck to everyone!!   :archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Oh shaggy mane's are delicious.  Nice find.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Went this evening for a couple  hours near home.

Saw a doe and her fawn.  This was in an area that has been hit hard by EHD and the deer are yet to rebound from it.

Just a place to go sit and enjoy the evening while "resting" my stands in more productive woods miles away.  Don't want to wish my life away, but, am ready for November to arrive all the same!

I have been receiving pictures of big bucks supposedly killed in the last week in SW Indiana.  I am dubious.   Too easy to get pics from 2nd hand sources as the story gets bigger and bigger.  Haven't seen any whoppers on the state forums.  I think that says a lot.

Been enjoying every minute while hunting so far.  Still........

It's about to get even better!!!

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Went out this morning.  As usual just a bunch of tree rats runnin around.  But I am starting to see a lot of good sign.  Now if the farmers can get the corn down, I should start seeing more deer.  I got a feeling deer activity is about to pick up here real soon in Fulton county where I hunt.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
I skeered up a couple of Nice Sized Does while driving to my Turkey Blind the other morning. I think I called every Turkey in the County with ZERO response. I KNOW they are there. Have seen them but they all vamoosed after I put my Blind up. Now they are laughing at me in the tall weeds.   :rolleyes:  I just keep on trying, even left the blind and tried parking my behind behind a Good Natural Blow Down. All I got were Nosey Squirrels trying to figure out Why the Stump I was sitting behind was making noises.   :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Finally saw the buck I am after in daylight this evening.

I wasn't hunting but watching from one side of a bean field to the other hoping to catch a glimpse of him as I wasn't sure where he bedded.

Lo and behold, out he came around 6:45 from the river bottom and into the edge of the field, 300 yards away.  I watched him for about 15 minutes, slowly walking the edge into the wind.  He then sauntered back into the soft maples and sycamores.

Until now, I didn't know where he bedded, just had an idea it was in the bottoms.  I hope to try him tomorrow if the wind is in my favor as another week or two may find him anywhere!

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Hope you get him skychief!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
It's been kind of slow this past week around here.  Halloween is next week. Things should start picking up soon.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Finally got out Sunday eve for the first time.  Had three does come in beside me.  Could've taken the lead doe at 17yds,but decided to wait for her to be a bit closer as she was still coming this way.  Of course my dad goes by on the 4 wheeler a few hundred yards away and she stops and jumps back and circles the other way!  About 645 I look over and there's a 6pt making a scrape about 45yds out.  A pretty good first sit!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Still hunted to my stand this evening, didn't bump anything that I know of. Sat in my stand from 3:00 till dark. Never saw the first deer.

No worries though. It was a beautiful evening just enjoying God's creation.

I am starting to see more buck sign on my farm.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
Hunted for the buck I saw yesterday evening.  Even employed a buck decoy for the first time ever.

He was a no-show this evening.  I may have gotten a little greedy and too close to his bed.   Not sure.  

Great evening to be out!

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
My hunting partner killed a 18" wide 8 pointer this morning at 9:00. He came from a wooded hollow toward the edge of a bean field where my buddy was perched.

The buck made a rub, then offered a 15 yard shot. He went 30 yards after the shot.

Two things of note.....

This mature buck had another smaller buck roaming with him.

Secondly, he was FULL of corn, with no trace of acorns to be found!

We had a nearby field shelled on Thursday.  Maybe he gorged himself on the newly found easy pickings (spilled grain).

Good luck to all, I am still looking.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Still very slow in Johnson and Jennings counties for me.  But did see 12 turkeys,  4 pt. and a doe tonight.  Could have shot 4 pt. butto early and to many big boys on camera to fill buck tag yet.  Halloween is coming!

Good luck all!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Been very active today for me. 2 bucks, 7 does and 7 hen turkeys. The turkeys ran one of the does off, they were fanning and acting all aggressive towards her, it was like they thought they were Tom's; absolutely hilarious. Closet was a doe at 30yds. - out of my range. All except one other was 40-50yds out, including a decent 8.
SWA Spyder

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
I was out Fri. night. Two weeks from when I shot my buck. It was totally different out there. I should have realized it would be but I was still kind of shocked at the change.

We had a hard frost a couple of nights before and none of the little trees had a leaf on them. It was a lot warmer and hardly any wind. As the sun went down there was no wind.

I had some kind of winged bug all over me trying to crawl inside my mask. I couldn't tolerate that and would look around then brush them off. I forgot to look once and that's when there was a deer behind me right where I thought they would come through. I got a glimpse of white and brown.

Then two does (I think) started to blow like 50-60 yards in front of me. I couldn't see them until they flagged and bounded in the opposite direction. I may have swayed a little where I stood but that was the only movement. I wonder if the thermals carried my scent to them.

I have pics of the stump I used for cover but can't seem to get them to download.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »

Ok some pics of the stump as I can get them downloaded. This is from the deer's point of view.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
Things are starting to heat up in Fulton county.  Tried some rattling this morning.  I had probably one of the biggest deer I have ever seen in the woods come in on a string.  Then he decided to stop about 50 yds. out.  So I snort wheezed at him and he was ready for a fight.  He came in to about 30 yds ready to get his attitude adjusted and it was like he hit a wall and just hung up 30 yds away from my stand.  He looked behind him and he trotted off.  He didn't have his tail up, but I couldnt see what might have spooked him.  I know it wasn't me.  I had the wind in my favor this time.  Who knows.  Reckin we will see what Thursday night has in store.  Good luck to all!
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Been seeing a few decent bucks, just haven't had any close enough.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Saw a real nice 8 point this evening for the first time this season.  He was about one hundred yards out, but I know he is in the area.  Good luck all!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
For those who wanted to see the stump I used for cover I edited the original post about my hunt. Page 2 I believe.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©