3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Ground Hunting Question  (Read 470 times)

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Ground Hunting Question
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I know there are a lot of ground hunting threads on the forum already but I could not find what I was looking for.

Here are my questions:

1) How many of ya hunt from the ground by just sitting in front of a big tree or bush (back cover only)?

2) How many times a day do you move to a new spot?

Thank you.
As always I appreciate your time and responses.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Ground Hunting Question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Most of the time I just sit in front or to the side of tree with solid colors on.

On weekend days I usually hunt from dawn until about 1 or so then eat and move to an evening spot.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
RARELY if ever, use a "blind"... Just sit on a rock/stump/log.... A nice comfortable seat, with a big tree at my back to lean on is a HUGE plus!!!

Actualy, I move around ALOT!!!!! I have a bad back & can only really sit for about an hour straight. I know my area good & slowly stillhunt to another spot. Even if you're hunting "clueless" on strange ground, slowly stillhunting around is a GREAT way to scout & learn the territory!

Just "feels" more like hunting!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
I try to start with a good natural back drop behind me. Bushy tree limbs, dead fall, tree, etc. next I pull out my #1 tool, my prunning shears. I trim small limbs, brush,
Etc. and gather a little pile. Then I stick them in the ground in a semi-circle that mostly encloses me except right to my front. I keep them right at eye level and keep them pretty dense to hide any movement except from my very front. Then I scrape the dead leaves and such from where I'll sit in order to reduce noise under foot. I set up my tri-pod stool and stash my kit into the brush blind next to me. And presto! Done. Takes me on average 5 minutes and can be done with very little noise. Ive had deer and pigs in close this season already. Mind the wind and mitigate your scent and its a blast! I learn more on each and every ground hunt I do.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Also, the other half of your question. If I hunt all day or for a long period I may move once or so but to me the same rules apply, move as little as possible or needed. The plus side is after a while your hunting area will have numerous brush blinds to pick from over the season and no one can steal the
! Haha
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Pretty much what cavscout' said.  I usually give a spot a good 4 hours before moving.  I check the air currents periodically to make sure my sit is still good, if the air currents have changed I adjust my orientation or if I have to, move without making too much of a parade of it.  I love using natural cover just as cavscout' described, the less work I have to do and less I have to disturb the area the better.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Nineworlds brings up a good point another learning aspect I've gained this year. 20' up a tree the wind can change direction but I have found that on a typical weather day the change is less frequent or doesn't last as long. On the ground I have seen more random wind changes. I hunt along creeks and down in draws and such where natural funnels occur, just as I would from a stand, but it seems on ground level with the wind rolling down the slopes it makes small eddys as the temperature changes with the elevation. It could be that I payed it less mind from a stand than I do on the ground, but its important to note that from where you are sitting in relation to bedding and feeding areas may not have a direct correlation to wind direction and that at times even if you move to another spot the wind may still not favor you from that new spot. Additionally, even though the wind appears to be traveling against you for sometimes even a few feet away it can then be drug away in another direction.  Again, this has been my first full season on the ground so I am by NO means an expect, Im just learning as I go as well.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I've been on the ground now for a good 7 years and do mostly what everyone above does. The only bad habit I have (especially after a morning hunt) is walking out too fast!   :banghead:   I've seen 2 of the biggest bucks and about 20 doe's doing this and there's no doubt in my mind that I could have had a shot on a few of them. So I would say "Slow down and be vigilante" when your walking out of a morning sit.
Conny

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cavscout9753:
I try to start with a good natural back drop behind me. Bushy tree limbs, dead fall, tree, etc. next I pull out my #1 tool, my prunning shears. I trim small limbs, brush,
Etc. and gather a little pile. Then I stick them in the ground in a semi-circle that mostly encloses me except right to my front. I keep them right at eye level and keep them pretty dense to hide any movement except from my very front. Then I scrape the dead leaves and such from where I'll sit in order to reduce noise under foot. I set up my tri-pod stool and stash my kit into the brush blind next to me. And presto! Done. Takes me on average 5 minutes and can be done with very little noise. Ive had deer and pigs in close this season already. Mind the wind and mitigate your scent and its a blast! I learn more on each and every ground hunt I do.
x2 for this - I do this EXACT same thing. I have multiple ground blinds set up on my property, and based on what time of day/temperature/time of year/wind/etc. I'll choose a different ground blind to sit based on where I think the deer will be moving to. Might hunt one blind in the morning, then move to a different spot in the afternoon if it warms up. Just depends on different factors.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
ETA: The following was all in Ohio btw, not CA.

Ground hunting was the only way I hunted during the limited time I hunted as a teenager over 10 years ago with a compound bow.

I didn't really know what I was doing, but I had a tip for a good place in the thick brush/reeds of a marshy lake edge. I wasn't familiar with the area, so I would sit in the snow at the base of a tree, from dawn till dusk, and eat a sandwich in place, where I was.

Problem was, the deer would always show up too close to take a shot at. I literally had a deer close enough I could kick, but my bow was leaning against the tree.

I also still hunted in the back 40 where there was always deer sign, but I never came across a deer in our woods, ever. I was more familiar with our property, but I still didn't know what I was doing hunting wise.

I guess what I'm saying is that yes, sitting in front of a tree can work, it did for me. At least, I was able to go unnoticed with deer around, but I've just never been a good hunter I guess.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
I do, and only move if I feel the need.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I hunt both in a tree  and on the ground, but lately I have been getting tired of carrying my tree stand.

I really enjoy hunting from the ground better and I want get better at it. I normally just carry a three legged seat and my backpack and I have gotten busted on several occasions.
I started wondering if I am over thinking my set-ups and it looks like I have.

So tomorrow I am going to try your suggestions and pay particular attention to my back cover. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you have anymore suggestions or advice on ground hunting or know any good articles or books on ground hunting please post it or send me a PM.

Thanks again. Bill

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I expected to see less deer but its not the case. Just carry a good set of pruning shears and set up like you would a tree stand - location wise. I try to anticipate where the deer will cross and then set back about 15 meters (yards) from that. Try to use your ears more and move to look less. Ive had squirrels almost climb my foot because I was so still. A hood of some sort helps break your outline. I made a light weight ghillie top out of a screen camo top with a hood, some camo netting and twine. Works great and is light weight. Face paint or a mask helps too. If they dont smell you much, see you move much, and cant make out your human form your chances go up quite a bit. Get comfy so you dont move much and scan slowly before you do move (to call or drink water or whatever) keep your bow close as you wont want to move much when your eye to eye with one. Also, not sure if you like bow quivers or not but i have found them to be poor for brush blinds on the ground. Good luck!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
CHeck out Terry's famous hat.  Believe it or not, sewing strips of cloth onto a boonie or similar hat, especially if they hang over the sides and back, WILL break up the silhouette of your head and shoulders.

ChuckC

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
This Fall Turkey Season, I borrowed a friends Pop-Up Blind. In hopes it would disguise the fact that I Cannot Sit Still for Very Long at All!! I have a Bum knee that gets Really Stiff and Sore if I dont change my Foot position every 15 or 20 minutes. From the Awsome Sight and Hearing a Turkey has.....I just thought I would give This a try,not having the Luck I expected as of yet.
  The Birds are Still in the Tall Grass Laughing at Me!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
ChuckC, I saw Terry's and it looks darn near perfect. I dislike shooting with a hat on, though when hunting I do wear a mossy oak hat backwards. But I have considered just doing one of my boonie caps like I did the jacket, maybe a small winter-lull project. Good thinking, I had forgot about that. Shakes, I would love to try a pop up blind but I hunt on post and if I left it somewhere long enough for deer to accept (I know the jury is still out on how long that is) someone would steal it or that area would be closed on the day I wanted to hunt. (They rotate the areas open day to day based on training, etc.) For turkey... I do not have the same confidence in my brush blind. Deer, pig, and everything else I like my odds. But turkey are better at living than I am at killing. Haha
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline PartridgeStalker25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
If your sitting for a long time do you bring a bottle to pee in?

Offline Dogbyte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
i stick to basics. while scouting, i make a ground blind from dead fall, a big "nest". I have it there long enough for anything to get acclimated to its presence. inside it, i usually have at least a large tree to my back, if i can, i pick a group of trees to help frame out the nest. its large enough inside for me to sit on a cushion, and move around without my legs making noise hitting anything. keep it clean of leaves, less noise. i build mine high enough that i can shoot from one or both knees, and the arrow just clear the top. heck of a way to stay hidden in the woods i hunt in. not many trees to climb, very dense, thickets bedding areas. i have several nests i can move from one to the other and stalk my way from one to the other as needed if its slow. they can last for years, just freshen them up each summer while scouting.
Genesis 21:20 God was with the lad, and he grew; and he lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Well I went out early this morning, It was 40 to 50 degrees with 15 to 20 MPH winds. I found a big tree put my chair up against it and had just a little brush in front of me. I didn't see any deer but the few squirrels that were out didn't seem to notice me.

I really enjoyed hunting this way, hunting deer the same way as turkeys, so I'm going to continue hunting with natural binds the rest of the season and add a squirrel arrow to the quiver.

Thanks again.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Robyn, I read through this thread again and if there ever was a highjacking of a thread I did it. My apologies. Glad you enjoyed it! It is easier in some regards and trickier in others. Once you get the hang of it you'll always improve, at least I do. If I ever get photobucket loaded I'll snap some pics of my brush blinds. As for the question from partrigestalker, no. I have never noticed any effect of human urine to animals. When I hunted from a tree I just went off the side if needed. Now I stalk a few feet away and go but thats just so I dont have to smell it, no concern about the deer.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©