3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground seat think I found the solution for all you ground pounders  (Read 2035 times)

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground seat think I found the solution for all you ground pounders
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Im going to be using this chair;

http://www.coleman.com/product/multiple-use-stool/2000003743?contextCategory=10010#.VEALg_ldWHA

no swivel so that is a drawback, but extremely light.
I have a similar stool with no back that I take backpacking its super light. Could be wider though but I think a pad will fix that.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
I got the shappel seat, haven't hunted it yet but like the size, weight, and isn't bad for comfort. I typically use a seat cushion, and will with this too. Quieter than many other seats like this. Should be good.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
keb thanks for the tip I got this chair last week and was worried about it's light weight and durability but after using it I can tell I will be carrying it a lot. Between it and my hammock seat I think I have it covered. Thanks again
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
I just got my shappel seat too. I really really like the 360 rotation. All chairs are pretty good, but gotta have that swivel to be 5 stars from a shooting standpoint. Just being able to move a little means a lot.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
I got one, like the rotation but that's about all I like about it. It's no where near as comfortable nor as stable as my Waldrop Packseat...which I can comfortably and safely lean back in and take a nap if I wanted to.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Have enjoyed reading through this thread. I would like to hear from Keb, the original poster, how his modifications are working out/holding up and from Bill Carlson and Ray as to what their thoughts are now after having put some more time in on their Shappell chairs. Thanks.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Worked like a champ in spots for me. I took the feet off to allow it to sink in the dirt some.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Kevin: I bought a second one. It's true…you need to lock in the legs or they will collapse. I think they also have a video on their site that shows this. There may be other seats out there that are "better" in some ways but these are light, quiet, have adjustable legs and swivels. I am able to sit still for long periods and on my first sit 3 deer walked by at 10 yards. I weigh in at 160#s so weight bearing issues are not issues for me but for bigger guys this chair probably won't work. For the price and if you aren't a really big man or woman they are really hard to beat. I like my Double Bull blind seats a lot but they are bigger, non adjustable and don't swivel. I keep them in my blinds as  movement is not as much of an issue in the blind. But when I want to wear my ghillie or find a new hot spot that isn't set up my Shappel chair goes with me.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I finally got out in the late season and had a chance to try the Shappell seat. I was very pleased. It is light, easy to adjust and sitting in it for three hours plus was comfortable. The swivel works well and it is quiet. I'm not a direction reader so I had to learn about the lock for the seat and feet the hard way but that worked well once I locked everything in and everything worked well in very cold weather, down to 6* some mornings. I weigh about 190 with all my winter gear on and I did have one foot of the stool sink a bit but I adjusted that leg and all was well. Definitely a good seat for the $$
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
Sounds like something worth trying. Keb, I'm PM'g you with my email in the hopes you can send me some pics of your modifications.
Thanks to all who chimed in.

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Based on my experience, no hard seat compares to the tree hammock seat, I modified mine to a two piece fixed leg vs. the standard adjustable one, to reduce weight and make it more packable and quieter when deploying. Setup takes seconds, and is so comfortable you can sleep in it. It allows you to shoot at any angle as well as behind and is dead silent. I carry my umbrella blind with it and have almost total concealment instantly.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
PBR, living in the warmer temps must keep the material on the hammock seat more silent.  In the cold here in Iowa it is horribly loud, both in setting up and when moving to take a shot.  I used mine twice and will not be taking it back to the woods, simply cannot move in it without making noise.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I've got the ameristep 360 swivel, found the triangular seat uncomfortable, and the swivel noisy (I weigh 200+).

I also tried a collapsable  chair with a back (no swivel and no adjustable legs,a dn the nylon camo material is noisy in the cold northern temps.

I made a torges seat last year and so far on several hunts I love it.  no noise, infinitely adjustable, and light weight.   think I'm gonna stick with this while ground hunting in the open.  

that just leads me to look for a solution for hunting out of a pop up blind.  something thats comfortable, with a  back, and not noisy.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longbow917:
PBR, living in the warmer temps must keep the material on the hammock seat more silent.  In the cold here in Iowa it is horribly loud, both in setting up and when moving to take a shot.  I used mine twice and will not be taking it back to the woods, simply cannot move in it without making noise.
Yea I am not finding it noisy, maybe in very cold weather it gets stiffer. For me if that were a problem I would sew in a polar fleece lining. It would still be lighter than anything else and a lot more versatile, packable, and comfortable. I guess it also depends what kind of material you are wearing and how it interacts with the seat material.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

I guess you can make any chair work, somewhat, but if you're wanting the most comfortable, easy to setup, and light weight hunting chair on the market, then this is the one. I'm going to start a thread with pics soon showing how I attached the chair to a military molle pack frame for ease of transport. This chair is so comfortable, you don't even know you're in the woods!
N/A

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by foxbo:

I guess you can make any chair work, somewhat, but if you're wanting the most comfortable, easy to setup, and light weight hunting chair on the market, then this is the one. I'm going to start a thread with pics soon showing how I attached the chair to a military molle pack frame for ease of transport. This chair is so comfortable, you don't even know you're in the woods!
Foxbo,
Do the straps interfere with laying your bow on your lap?
Did some follow-up research on the Millennium Chair and what I really like about it is option of the low 13" height at the lowest setting. What I don't like is the big price tag compared to the Shappell chair. I am looking forward to your post showing your use of this chair, Foxbo.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
I have two Millennium chairs and they are amazing.  I was designing a chair based on their web seat and then they launched this one. Problem solved!  

Granted - it is not the smallest or most compact but it really is as comfortable as possible.

I am interested in seeing your thread Foxbo

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
An easy carry case for the Shappell chair is to cut the log from an old pair of fleece pants and tie a rope around one opening-maybe even tie in the end of a strap.  Then tie the other end of the strap around the top, then just sling it over your shoulder.  You could also get up with one of the folks that make bow socks and have them make a "sock" for the Shappell chair.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
The straps on the Millennium Chair absolutely do not interfere with laying your bow across your lap. You don't even know the straps are there.

I'll try and get around to taking some pics in a couple of days, weather permitting.

This chair is expensive, but everything worth having is expensive.

I'll probably even purchase the shooting stick and adaptor for next year's flintlock season...maybe.

Attaching the chair to the molle frame is basically simple and easy. I just used four nylon zip ties and that's it. It has not slipped since I attached it and is steady as a rock.

The one shoulder strap which comes with the chair will get the job done, but the backpacking straps  and frame make the job so much nicer. Plus, you can have your hands free and the chair is out of the way for shooting your bow incase you see a deer on the way in or out of the woods.
N/A

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©