3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Melancholy Mood for Season's first hunt  (Read 310 times)

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Melancholy Mood for Season's first hunt
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Tomorrow I will take to the wood's for the first hunt of the year. Dag Nabbit, I will have to open the gate myself, and should I be fortunate enough to harvest a deer, wrestle it into the truck by myself.
My youngest Son is off at college as a freshman and my oldest is working out in the oil patch, and it will be the first hunt in a long time when neither boy is around. It is making me feel old!! I enjoy the time we spend together and am going to miss that this year, and probably every year in the future. Just not the same for me going by myself, although I know a lot of guys who prefer to hunt alone. Enjoy hunting with those kids guys, because they are gone before you know it!!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Melancholy Mood for Season's first hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Very good advice! Sorry you are missing your boys. My son will hunt with his recurve the first time this year. At 12 he has lots to learn.
Mike Davenport

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Hey Goldfinger, I bet there is a local kid who would love to learn! Too many kids these days dont have those wonderful opportunities! Good luck this year, and God bless ya for your obvious love for your family =)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
(deleted double post)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Gold Finger.. Good luck. Sorry about your boys.  I hope they each can make it back home for some hunts with you.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
Hey Ed, you can take Nathan and me!    :bigsmyl:     We can make him get the gate!  
Nate is in 8th grade this year and has outgrown the boots you gave him!  I know the next 4 years are going to fly by... Your post is a good reminder to me to cherish every moment... even the ones where he frustrates me (like this morning when we had to get out of the tree at 9:00 am because his toes were freezing!).
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
I feel the same way....  My youngest son is a freshman in college and I miss bowhunting with him this year.

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Hey Tim, good to hear from you!! I really just can't believe how time fly's. There was a time my boy was wearing those boots, and it did not seem like that long ago. Saw lots of Deer Saturday morning, but none within 20 yards. It was a beautiful morning and a nice still 37 degrees on our side of the state. Hope you and Nate enjoy your season.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
I only get to hunt with my kids once in a while. Most of my friends either don't hunt any more, quit hunting, hunt with there usual buddies, hunt in places where only they have permission or some have passed on. What used to be fun and exciting is now for the hunting camp sorta lonely. I still enjoy the outdoors so I keep on keeping on.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
I feel for you. My son never took to hunting. He may as he gets older, who knows. He is a Marine now and they just had their second child today.  I have two grand babies now.  Now who is feeling older?     :bigsmyl:  

I bet the grand kids are going to like to hunt!   :archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Well on the up side, ones in school, ones working, sounds like you did your job as a father well. To bad they can't be with you in the woods but go and reflect on past hunts and have a good day.   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©