3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2014 Alaskan Caribou Bowhunt  (Read 1758 times)

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
2014 Alaskan Caribou Bowhunt
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I have been back for a month now, but hit the ground running as soon as I landed, so I finally got a chance to post this.

I went on a two-man drop hunt for Caribou (Western Arctic Herd) with a friend of mine in late August. We flew out of Kotzebue, Alaska with RAM Aviation (who, by the way, run a fantastic, professional air service). We were dropped off along the Noatak River, Brooks Range. We set up camp along the river, setting up our tent & kitchen in the willows, and filling our collapsible water jug in the river (we were told we should not have to worry about Giardia in this area, which I am told is not entirely true)...

We began glassing the following day...

The weather was in the high 30's-low 40's...We were there two days before we saw the first Caribou, and they were 2 miles away from where we were (two miles from camp)... Along the way, we saw a beautiful bull Moose, Grizzlies, a Wolf, all kinds of Birds, and breath-taking scenery/colors across the Tundra...

On the third morning, we woke up in the early morning hours, before light, to the sound of river rocks being scattered around right outside our tent...during a long, suspenseful wait, we listened attentively to try to decipher what creature had caused the sounds...at Dawn's early light, we discovered a rather large set of fresh tracks belonging to what must have been a Sow Grizzly, and those of her (yearling) cubs...I figured they most likely were walking the river, and when they came across our campsite (nestled into the stunted willows along the riverbank) they spooked and scattered the rocks...

Days three and four found us spotting small herds scattered around, observing their movement and trying to figure out stalk maneuvers in a landscape with so very little cover high enough to hide a human (unless they're low-crawling)...I got to make a really good stalk on four excellent bulls, which began at around 200 yds. The bulls had bedded in a tight group while being glassed, and I decided to get after them. They were in blueberry brush (ubiquitous there), up on the edge of a hilltop knoll, with only their antler tops visible, which made the first 100 yds. go quickly....checking the steady wind to make sure I still had the crossing left-to-right, I kept moving...at that point I hunched down as close to the ground as I could, while still moving as quickly as I could (not terribly quick), dodging from brush-clump to brush-clump until I made it to around 75 yards... from there it was a low-crawling affair, pushing the bow ahead of me as I went...moving slowly, praying that they would not get up, I made it to 17 yds., when the fletching on one of my Kaiser Kustom arrows raked a blueberry branch...the closest bull's antler tops quickly turned in my direction...I froze...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Alaskan Caribou Bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
:campfire:  Caribou have long been on my bucket list.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Well you got me.......   :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
Dunno about drinkable water...two of us managed giardia a number years ago now.  I let my guard down and took the same advice and didn't use the one of 2 filters we had used for 12 days.  wamo!

Looking forward to the rest of the story, as usual, always exciting!

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Me too! This is my dream hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Caribou are on my bucket list too - and moose... and elk... and mulies... okay I'm a little needy..

Let's hear the story!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
C'MON!  The rest of the story!

regarding giardia, I think if there are beaver and/ungulates around, then its probably there.  Hoping you guys got lucky.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee: , Will be watching this!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Great stuff Don - keep it coming!  Alaska is a magical place.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Caribou is my dream hunt for sure.   :campfire:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
This is gonna be good....... It already is.     :coffee:
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Good so Far. Keep it Don. Glad you didn't get Giardia. My dad caught it on the brooks range. It can make a trip of   life time miserable.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Is that your crap Don...or the bear's?    :scared:    
The pemmican I make looks like that (lol)

Next year...take me man!

Kris

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
I waited to see if they would bolt, with my bow still laid out ahead of me...

The antlers turned back toward the way the bull was originally looking, with no sign of alarm...I decided that 17 yards was a good distance, and now I just needed to wait it out, and see which one would get up and stretch first...I slowly got ready...as ready as I could in that positon...10 minutes went by like two hours...then 15...without any warning, all four bulls exploded out of their beds, and ran to the North and out of range...I checked the wind, and it seemed to still be good, but an errant swirl was the only explanation for what happened, since I did not make any noise...
back to the drawing board...

More after I go out to eat with some friends...

That was a Bear Pile Kris...I didn't eat that many blueberries...!!

As far as the Giardia; we were told that it would be fine out of the Noatak...but normally I have always kept it to the smaller springs running out of the hills/mountains...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt is about to unfold.  I'll be paying attention.  Caribou is excellent table fare.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Just a question don, what kind of small game head do you use? I saw the first couple of pics and tried blowing it up but was unable to tell
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©