3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2014 Alaskan Caribou Bowhunt  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: 2014 Alaskan Caribou Bowhunt
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Looking good, keep it up.   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
This is a good one so far, don't leave us hanging.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
Richard,
I normally always shoot a Judo, but that arrow has a modified Snuffer on it...it was made by a good friend of mine (Roy Burton)...he gave it to me right before the trip, and said he wanted me to shoot a Ptarmigan with it...He basically cut the blade sections off at the forward and rear supports coming off the ferrule...it shot well, and would most likely be devastating to any small game, but I never did see a Ptarmigan...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Steve

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Awesome, a dream hunt of mine.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Day four ended with a few distant spottings, but no more stalks...

Day five (the last day of the hunt) began after a quick throw-down of Mountain House Breakfast Skillet...a quick glass behind camp revealed a couple small herds of Caribou as close as 1/2 mile from camp... the Caribou seemed to be separated into larger herds (30-75)composed of cows, calves, and small bulls...the larger bulls were in small groups of 3-7, and not a lot of those groups, when compared to the herds of cows...  

I went out after the first herd, and spent the whole morning stalking after them, always getting within 70 yards without much difficulty, but from there it became much more difficult, as the lack of cover made it tough to close in on so many eyes watching from so many perspectives...a couple of times, when I would get near 40 yards, my adrenaline would start to hum, only to spot a cow I hadn't noticed, but she had my number; on speed dial...that's when I began sticking willow branches in my hat...I chuckled a little as I was putting them on my hat, remembering that Fred Bear always stuck a piece of foliage in his hat...I believe his was more Talisman than camouflage...but definitely both...
At one point, I was on a herd that was moving toward the Noatak, and looked like they were going to cross... I had always heard that if you can find a river crossing, your chances of getting a shot improve dramatically...I tried to guess where they were headed, and literally ran a wide circle, paying attention to the wind, to get to a downwind spot before they did...I went around a long boggy swamp, & lost sight of them on my way...I guessed about where they might be coming through (in a stand of willows that stretched along the river for several hundred yards) and headed straight for that spot...when I was closing in on the place I thought they might be, I was startled to see several Caribou just to my right, coming through the willows right at me...they saw me at the same time I saw them, and there were Caribou parts flying everywhere as they all turned inside-out to head back to the Tundra, and get them some gone...one part of the herd just stopped, and milled around, wondering what the big deal was...I just watched to see what would happen next, and a few cows committed toward the river, and the rest began to follow....I ducked into the willows and made my way toward them as fast as I could, without making a bunch of noise...as I came around, I spotted a line of Caribou moving my way, right to left...as I moved into position for a shot, they were filing by me at 25 yards...I picked out the first good shot, and sent a Kaiser Kustom Doug Fir Surewood to the rescue...the Caribou was quartering away, and as the arrow hit right behind the left shoulder, it must have hit a rib square, because the arrow was showing quite a bit as it flailed up and down as the animal was fleeing...seeing that it was a good hit, immediately got excited (even more excited), until I saw it following the others toward the river...
At this point I ran as fast as I could, in an effort to cut off it's path to the river, knowing that if it made it to the river & crossed, I would have no way to retrieve it...I succeeded in getting close enough to spook some of the other animals in front, which made them head farther downriver...this change in direction sent the wounded one up onto the bank of the river, stumbling as if it would collapse...I slowed down and stumbled a little myself, as I got another arrow from my quiver...at this point, the Caribou got a second wind and dashed toward the river to be with the others...each crimson splash it made as it went out into the current was highlighted by the sun behind it, and with each lunge my heart sank a little more as I realized that I had just lethally wounded a magnificent creature, that I would not be able to recover...the feelings of disappointment I felt were only magnified as I backtracked the bloodtrail as I slowly walked back in disbelief...there was alot of blood...lung blood...I suspected that due to the low penetration I witnessed, the arrow must have only gotten through one lung... after a couple hours of what-ifs, and druthers, pondering how I could possibly get the quarters back across if I swam the river???...How long would Hypothermia take in that water??? The current was so swift, I just didn't see a way to continue... I found some respite in the fact that I had done everything I could to recover the animal, and also in the fact that it would not be "wasted"...there were enough Wolves and Bears in the area, and I knew it would be found within hours...yet still, it is not a great feeling, by any means...
After a change of underwear, and a refreshing baby-wipe "shower," I came to the conclusion that there was nothing more I could do, except go out and give it my best shot for the last couple of hours left...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Man that is heartbreaking.  I recall reading a similar story by Mike Mitten in his book, One With The Wilderness.  As I recall, his was a bull Moose that crossed a river and was unrecoverable.  It happens to the best of hunters.  
Sorry for the way it turned out for you, but it sounds like an awesome experience despite the disappointment.  
Thanks for sharing.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 01:53:00 AM »
No Giardia risk? Patently false. You just got lucky.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 02:16:00 AM »
After heading back out, we spotted three nice bulls feeding together a few hundred yards away...two bulls were good sized bulls, and the other much bigger, with dark chocolate colored velvet on his antlers...It was a beautiful, sunny, 50 degree afternoon with hardly any wind...the first day of it's kind since we arrived...after glassing them for awhile, we saw something else moving in the brush by them, and out of the willows came a bull much bigger than the chocolate bull...he must have been bedded while the others were feeding...both of us were gawking at the size of his rack, and I said to my friend, "that is one nice Caribou right there"...I watched a bit longer and assessed the situation, checking the wind and hypothesizing on which way they may head, and where I might have the best chance at a shot...I said to my friend that the temptation to go after them was getting to me, and I was going to make my move...I chose a high spot between two bogs that would be a natural bottleneck if they made their way South, and there were two prominent clumps of willow in the bottleneck that I thought would be good for cover...I started out at a quick pace once again, and made my way to within 150 yds. easily...the bulls seemed content gorging on lichen in the same basic area for the moment...as I was heading toward them, one of the two smaller bulls bedded, giving me a burst of confidence that I would not have to run to keep up after Caribou on the move...after making it to within 100 yards, I began to low-crawl again, heading for the largest (and closest) clump of willows in the bottleneck...when I made it to the clump, I sat up and watched the bulls feed, while I began to visualize the different possible scenarios about to happen...I felt my chances were better than average that the bulls might head my way, since the majority of Caribou I had seen in the last few days tended to move through this general direction...the bogs on either side of me created a barrier that I suspected they would avoid, so the dry area in between seemed my best bet...the bulls hadn't moved much at all, and were back and forth when they did...the younger bulls then began to move my direction as they both fed...this brought the chocolate bull over to where they were and he actually leap-frogged to a position even closer to me, now at around 80 yards...my heart began to pound, and I kept calming myself down, while all of the pre-shot thoughts ran wild through my mind...like a new pilot starting up a plane, I ran through the checklist of possible problems; this branch could make a noise on my lower limb...I can shoot through there if they come that way...my face is covered...anchor point, smooth release, pick a spot...then I spy the next, smaller clump of willow, and I think, "man, if I was up there, I might get a great shot if they continue on this course"...But is it worth the risk? ...Yes...
I watch the bulls for a moment and decide that if they keep their heads down for a moment(as they have been while feeding) and give me any kind of window, I would only need to make it five yards before I could use the small willow as cover until I got up to it (15 yds.)...as soon as one bull looked up to check for danger, then put his head down, I made my move and headed for the small clump...when I crawled to the 5 yard spot where the clump was between me and the bulls, I was so relieved to see that they were still feeding...I crawled the rest of the way, and did a repeat performance of the pre-shot inventory/visualization/self calm-down...now at 65 yards & feeding towards me, I had no other options but to wait and see what would transpire...
The young bulls were still together, and off to the left of the chocolate bull, who at this point is closing in at 50 yards, with "Bruce" (the biggest bull; I had named him that while we were glassing him) way behind all of them...I was envisioning possible (perfect) shots, focusing on the chocolate bull, since he was coming my way...as things seemed to be coming together (Finally!) for me, my hopes were temporarily dashed as the choco bull made an abrupt change in direction, and started to feed quartering away from me...NO!... as soon as he did that quick move, Bruce came trotting up to him and cut him off, leap-frogging to within 45 yards, and feeding my way...there were some heart beats... the lump in my throat caused me to wonder for a split second if I had swallowed my headlamp...I had practiced at longer distances all Summer in anticipation of this trip, and began to ask myself when would I commit to take a shot...as the choco bull continued to head to the right, around the Eastern-most bog (further away from me), Bruce did a beautiful little spin and began feeding at a perfect, quartering away angle...as I watched him feed for a short moment, I swear that the clouds opened up, and a shining beam of golden rays shone on a little spot, just left of, and in front of the driver's side hind quarter...I drew back my 60# bow, and as soon as I felt my index finger touch the corner of my smile, that Tall Tines gave birth to one of the most beautiful flights an arrow has ever experienced...the quiet release went unnoticed by all four bulls, and the length of the shot (around 44 yards) produced an arc that was lofty and enduring...that Kaiser Kustomized Surewood shaft flew flawlessly & unfluctuating, all the way until it disappeared through Bruce's left side...the Zwickey Delta zipped through the entire Caribou, exiting just inside the right front shoulder... the bull hunched up, and stumbled about 60 yards, where I watched him drop...The flight of that arrow has played in my head in slow motion ever since it happened, and I seriously doubt that it will ever stop...

Which, is just fine with me...

We got the meat packed out just in time to see the sunset, and gorge on fresh backstraps and onions...

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
What an outstanding animal Don - congratulations!  I've only hunted caribou once (unsuccessfully) and have felt the need to return ever since.  Your story has just made that urge grow stronger!

Thanks for sharing your great writing with us.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
What a bull! Great story, great shot, great adventure in the Great Land!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
Great story.  Thank you for sharing it with us.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Online mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Wow!  Great story and pics.  A 44 yard heart ahot is not too shabby either.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
:clapper:  Great story, great bull and great shot!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure!!!

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Great story and shot on a fantastic caribou!  Thanks for sharing the story.  Rick.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys...I'm sure we'll talk soon, Joe...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©