3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PA Doe :)  (Read 588 times)

Offline grouse11

• Trad Bowhunter
PA Doe :)
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
As many here know, today was the opener of the PA archery season, and it was a pretty ugly opener. I got in my stand at about 6:15 and got settled in with an umbrella over me. The morning started off very slow and I didn’t see anything before my dad texted me saying he was getting out at 9, which gave me another half hour.

Right at 9, I looked up to my left and caught some movement, quickly realizing it was antler. It didn’t look big and in pa there is a three point rule but I kept my hopes up. Unfortunately it ended up being a small four point followed by a spike and another deer. I assumed that the other deer was another small buck but that assumption would prove to be wrong. The first two deer moved through my shooting lane at 5 yards but the third was taking a bit longer. As it moved into the lane, I saw that it was a mature doe so I started to put tension on the string.

As her vitals came into the open, I gave her a soft grunt to stop her. I quickly drew, anchored, and released, watching my arrow hit a little back of where I was looking. The arrow buried to the feathers and I still felt good about the shot. I texted my dad and let him know what happened and he showed up as I was getting out of stand. There was no blood at the impact site but good looking blood was found a little ways up the trail. 10 yards later we found my arrow which had pulled through.

Normally we would wait before tracking but we were pressed for time because it is my grandmother’s 90th birthday and we had a party planned after lunch. That gave us 3-4 hours to find her and get her taken care of. We were able to easily follow the blood trail and it looked like we would find her in no time, but we kept going and kept going and there was no sign of the deer. Eventually she angled up the hill which is never a good sign, but as long as we had blood, we would trail her. An hour later, my dad said we needed to go so he could get ready, as he and my aunts and uncles were taking my grandmother to lunch before the party.

I went home, ate something quick and changed clothes before heading back myself to take up the trail again. I was really doubting that I would find the deer based on the movements the deer made and how far she had gone already. This next part of the trail found me crawling on my hands and knees for another hundred yards, but the blood was still flowing and I would look until I had to go to the party. She stayed on a well used deer trail for about 50 yards and then took a sharp turn down the hill through some thick stuff. I went only 15 yards and looked up to see her laying there still alive.

This was really tough for me, I strive to make the best shot I can and make quick, clean, humane kills. I could tell she was suffering but it was too thick to get another shot into her and I was afraid to move anymore for fear of chasing her up again. Fortunately, after a few minutes there, she took her last breath and passed away. This was at 11:30.

The strange thing was that after gutting her very carefully, I found no holes in the heart, lungs, liver, or stomach. I have no idea what I hit and all that I can think is that she just bled to death. Equipment used was an ILF riser I made myself with medium black max limbs pulling around 44# at my draw. Used Easton gamegetter 500s with 170 grains of 2 blade grizzly.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading, good luck to everyone the rest of the season  :)

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PA Doe :)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Perfect!!  Congrats!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Congratulations on your well earned doe!  Those blood trails can sometimes prove tough.  Good job of hanging in there!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Congrats you found her way to stick with it!  :thumbsup:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Congratulations! Especially considering this morning's weather was a little iffy...!!!
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Very nice doe, glad it worked out for you.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Wow, great story, great kill and neat looking ILF bow! Congrats on a great doe and Happy B-Day to grandmother!   :wavey:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Could have hit an artery. Congrats Brother great work!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Congrats on the Doe!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Mark,
         Good job on sticking with that trail,especially with your Gram's birthday. You hung in there and got the job done.

Good Shooting,
                                                          Craig

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 01:09:00 AM »
Congrats!

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
Congrats!

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
Nice Doe, congratulations.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
Congrats!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Great job sticking with it and congrats on a good looking nanny!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
That's a true trophy, doe AND follow-up. Congrats!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
Ya did good! Congrats

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
Good job, congratulations!
-Jay

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
I like the part that you built your riser. I would like to know more about that.  
One of my first deer was in the PA mountains. It was running, I was young and I did not lead it enough. I hit a big artery and she fell stone dead at about 20 yards. Great memory
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©